Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am a senior lecturer in the Children’s and Young People’s nursing programme. I have been a registered nurse for over 30 years and have qualifications in adult nursing, midwifery and children's nursing. I have nursed in many areas in the UK and also in Hong Kong. I returned to the UK in January 2010 after nursing and teaching for 16 years in Canada. I have many years experience as a nurse educator. My research interests are mainly around children’s nutrition and childhood obesity, but also in all aspects of child health. My primary research methodology is action research.
- Rosser, E.A., Scammell, J., Bevan, A. and Hundley, V.A., 2017. Strong leadership: The case for global connections. Journal of Clinical Nursing.
- Panjganj, D. and Bevan, A., 2016. Children's nurses' post-operative pain assessment practices. Nursing children and young people, 28 (5), 29-33.
- Bevan, A., Hemingway, A., Appleton, K.M., Hartwell, H., Magnante, O., Perez-Cueto, A., Monteleone, E., Giboreau, A. and Depezay, L., 2016. Familiarity and liking of vegetables: Is it important for vegetable consumption? British Journal of School Nursing, 11 (3), 125-130.
- Appleton, K.M., Hemingway, A., Saulais, L., Dinnella, C., Monteleone, E., Depezay, L., Morizet, D., Perez-Cueto, F.J.A., Bevan, A. and Hartwell, H., 2016. Increasing vegetable intakes: rationale and systematic review of published interventions. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF NUTRITION, 55 (3), 869-896.
- Bedells, E. and Bevan, A., 2016. Roles of nurses and parents caring for hospitalised children. Nursing children and young people, 28 (2), 24-28.
- Bevan, A.L., Joy, R., Keeley, S. and Brown, P., 2015. Learning to nurse: Combining simulation with key theory. British Journal of Nursing, 24 (15), 781-785.
- Bevan, A.L., Joy, R., Keeley, S. and Brown, P., 2015. Learning to nurse: developing knowledge and skills for practice. British Journal of Nursing, 24 (15), 781-785.
- Bevan, A.L., Hartwell, H., Hemingway, A. and Pacheco da Costa Proenca, R., 2015. An exploration of the fruit and vegetable "foodscape" in a university setting for staff: A preliminary study. British Food Journal, 117 (1), 37-49.
- Banks, K. and Bevan, A., 2014. Predictors for somatic symptoms in children. Nursing Children and Young People, 26 (1), 16-20.
- Bevan, A., 2013. Creating communicative spaces in an action research study. Nurse Researcher, 21 (2), 14-17.
- Bevan, A.L. and Reilly, S.M., 2011. Mothers' efforts to promote healthy nutrition and physical activity for their preschool children. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 26 (5), 395-403.
- Bevan, A.L., 2015. Reproductive systems. In: Peate, I., ed. Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology of children and young people for student nurses. Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Appleton, K.M., Hemingway, A., Saulais, L., Dinnella, C., Monteleone, E., Depezay, L., Morizet, D., Perez-Cueto, F.J.A., Bevan, A. and Hartwell, H., 2016. Systematic review of published interventions aiming to increase vegetable intakes. In: Annual meeting of the Nutrition Society 11-14 July 2016 Dublin, Ireland.
- Bevan, A., Panjganj, D., Bedells, E., Banks, K., Tointon, K. and Hunt, J., 2016. Towards the evidence base in children’s nursing: student nurse’s experiences of publishing a literature review. In: STTI European Regional Conference June 2016 Utrecht, The Netherlands.
- Rosser, E., Scammell, J., Bevan, A. and Hundley, V., 2015. Global Scholarship: the challenges for nursing and the value of STTI. In: Biennial Convention of Sigma Theta Tau International 7-11 November 2015 Las Vagas.
- Rosser, E., Scammell, J., Bevan, A. and Hundley, V., 2015. Global networking and nursing leadership: the potential for Sigma Theta Tau International. In: Rosser, E., ed. 2nd Biennial Conference of the Phi Mu Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International 19 June 2015 Weetwood Hall, Leeds.
- Hemingway, A., Hartwell, H., Appleton, K. and Bevan, A., 2014. Increasing vegetable consumption through food service. In: EuroCHRIE conference 7-17 October 2014 Dubai.
- Joy, R., Bevan, A., Keeley, S. and Brown, P., 2014. The value of alignment: Integrating anatomy, physiology and prctice simulation into an accredited unit. In: The 25th International Networking for Healthcare Education 2-4 September 2014 Churchill College. University of Cambridge UK.
- Bevan, A., hartwell, H., Hemingway, A. and Proenca, R., 2014. An exploration of the fruit and vegetable ‘foodscape’ in a university setting: A pilot study. In: 11th International conference on culinary arts and science, 13-15 June 2014 Porto, Portugal.
- Rosser, E., Scammell, J., Bevan, A. and Hundley, V., 2014. Global Scholarship: the challenges for nursing. In: Sigma Theta Tau International Honour Society 2nd European Regional Conference 15-18 June 2014 Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Bevan, A., 2004. What are a Researcher’s Ethical Obligations? In: Regional Research Ethics Conference May 2004 Medicine Hat, AB.
- Bevan, A., 2002. The Matrix Approach to Provision of Access to Primary Health Care for College Populations. In: The 6th Annual Health Promotion conference April 2002 Vancouver, Canada.
- Bevan, A., 1997. Report of the results of research on breastfeeding rates, and the progress of the Baby Friendly movement. In: Region to a conference of the Breastfeeeding Matters Group 1997 Calgary.
- Bevan, A.. Participatory Action Research: A Means for Engaging Mothers in the Process of Improving Their Pre- School Children’s Diet and Level of Physical Activity. In: May 2011 - International Conferences in Community Health Nursing Research, Edmonton, Alberta Canada. Poster Presentation. May 2011 University of Alberta, Canada.
- Bevan, A.. Sept 2010 – BU Qualitative Research Conference. Presentation. Living health promotion: Mothers’ knowledge and current practices regarding the nutrition and physical activity for their preschool children. In: BU Qualitative Research Conference September 2010 Bournemouth University.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Doctoral and Masters supervision and teaching
Profile of Teaching UG
- Child health Nursing Undergruate program
- Veggieat (EU IAPP, 01 Oct 2013). Awarded
- To critically evaluate vegetable acceptability through individual and environmental characteristics across the lifespan in institutional food service (EU grant, 01 Apr 2013). Awarded
- An Exploration of the Fruit and Vegetable “Foodscape” in a University Setting: A Pilot Study. (BU Seedcorn Funding, 01 Mar 2012). Completed
- Exploration of the fruit and vegetable foodscape in a university as a workplace and educational setting (BUPA, 01 Jul 2011). Completed
- Graduate Research Scholarship (University of Calgary, 01 Jan 2006). Completed
- Professional Development Graduate Studies Award (Medicine Hat College, 01 Jan 2005). Completed
- Alberta Registered Nurses Educational Trust (Alberta Registered Nurses Educational Trust, 01 Jan 2004). Completed
- Dean’s Entrance Scholarship (Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Calgary, 01 Jan 2004). Completed
- Breastfeeding Research Study (NA, 01 Jan 1998). Completed
- Medicine Hat College Child Development Centre, Board Chair (2008-2009)
- College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta Competence Committee, Member (2007-2009)
- Alberta ethics board (CREBA), Board member (2003-2009)
- Palliser Health Regional Research, Founding member and committee member. (1996-2009)
- International Journal of Qualitative Methods, Editorial Board member (2015-)
- Sheffield Hallam University, External examiner for child nursing programme (2013-)
- Nutrition and Dietetics, Reviewer
- International Journal of Qualitative Methods, Reviewer
- Perspective in Public Health, Reviewer
- Journal of Pediatric Nursing, Reviewer
- Phi Mu Chapter of Nurses, Treasurer (2011-)
- Registered Nurse in Nursing (Poole General Hospital, 1979)
- SCM in State Certified Midwife (Whipps Cross Hospital, 1981)
- RSCN in Registered Sick Children’s Nurse (Bristol Royal Hospital for Sick Children, 1983)
- MSc in Nursing and Health Studies (Edinburgh University, 1993)
- PG Cert in Education in Education (HEA, 2011)
- PG Dip in Nursing (University of London, 1991)
- PhD in Nursing (Calgary University, Alberta, Canada, 2008)
- Academic Achievement Award (Medicine Hat College, 2002)
- Medicine Hat College Instructor of the Year Nomination (Medicine Hat College, 2004)
- 30 year long service award (College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA), 2009)
- Association of British Paediatric Nurses, Member (2010-),
- CARNA (College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta), Member (2009-),
- England Honour Society, Member,
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2012-),
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (RN & RSCN), Member (2009-),
- Phi Mu Chapter, Member (2010-),
- Royal College of Nursing, Member (2010-),