Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Lecturer and Academic Manager, with 17 years in industry applying my subject and relating it to engineering technology and business process.
Research in computer graphics - the neglected area of 2D (SVG etc); I have produced 2 interpreters and a compiler that outputs SVG. Working on a) a paper critically evaluating SVG, and b) a proposal to replace/supplement SVG with a 'better' language (SVG with the faults removed).
Fascinated by business process - especially Lean and Quality - and the lessons for university: much UK business is dominated by a Fat approach to management. A common cause is the influence of HR 'reducing cost' by employing cheaper ancillaries to do some of the work of the producers. The problem is that the processes increase (because ancillaries introduce new sub-processes), employee counts rise, and costs do so too. Thus they do the reverse of Lean, which would seek to reduce the number of ancillaries and focus on core process.
I chair the Dorset Branch of BCS.
I am a governor of Talbot Heath School on behalf of the University.
- Durkin, K. and Main, A., 2002. Discipline-based study skills support for first-year undergraduate students. Active Learning in Higher Education, 3, 24-39.
- Jones, M., Main, A. and Polkinghorne, M., 2007. Developing & exploiting new market opportunities. In: Polkinghorne, M. and Roach, J., eds. Applications of knowledge transfer to small and medium sized businesses. 2007 ed.. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Main, A., 2005. PenDraw - A Language for Improving Take-Up of SVG. In: Koolwaaij, J., ed. SVG Open 2005 15-18 August 2005 University of Twente, Enschede, Netherlands. Enschede, Netherlands: Stichting Scalable Vector Graphics Nederland.
- Jones, M., Main, A. and Polkinghorne, M., 2007. Developing and exploiting new market opportunities: a knowledge transfer case study. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Jones, M., Main, A. and Polkinghorne, M., 2006. SPOCE: KTP Final Report. UK: Department of Trade and Industry.
- BSc (Hons) in Civil Engineering (University of London, 1968)
- MSc in Digital Representation of Reinforced Concrete Buil (University of Leicester, 1969)
- PhD in An Interactive Sizing System for Reinforced Concre (University of Leicester, 1973)
- British Computer Society (MBCS, CITP), Member,
- Dorset Branch, British Computer Society, Chair,