Dr An Nguyen
- 01202 961159
- anguyen at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Associate Professor
- Weymouth House W310, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
An Nguyen is Associate Professor of Journalism in the School of Journalism, English & Communication.
He has published extensively in a number of areas: digital journalism, online news consumption and citizenship, citizen journalism, science journalism, the use/misuse of statistics in the media, and news and development in a globalising world.
Some of his work on digital journalism is among the most cited in Google Scholar's two most-cited journalism journals in the 2009-2014 and 2010-2015 periods (Journalism Studies and Journalism).
A former Vietnamese journalist and Australian-educated scholar, An has taught in five British and Australian universities. Prior to BU, he headed journalism at University of Sussex. Before Sussex, he lectured at University of Stirling, where he co-founded and directed its successful Vietnam-based MSc in Media Management.
An serves on the Editorial Board of Journalism Education (UK Association of Journalism Education) and of Journal of Applied Journalism and Media Studies (Intellect)... He is a frequent peer reviewer of manuscripts and proposals for major journals, publishers and funding bodies. An recently completed his five-year term as External Examiner of the University of Sheffield's MSc in Science Communication.
Outside academia, An has examined journalism output and draft policy, as well as provided research and training consultancy, for many industry and government organisations Among his recent non-academic clients are the Broadcasting Board of Governors (US Government), BBC Vietnamese, Radio Free Asia, Voice of Vietnam, and World Federation of Science Journalists.
An also frequently engages with non-academic audiences on media issues, having been invited to deliver public and industry lectures in eight countries as well as expert interviews and commentaries in Dutch, English, Indonesian and Vietnamese media.more
- Nguyen, A., 2016. News judgment in a "click-thinking" culture: the impact of web metrics on journalism and journalists (Julgamento das Notícias na Cultura do "Caça-Clique": o impacto das métricas web no jornalismo e nos jornalistas). Revista Parágrafo, 3 (2).
- Nguyen, A. and Lugo-Ocando, J., 2015. The state of data and statistics in journalism and journalism education: Issues and debates. Journalism, 17 (1), 3-17.
- Hibberd, M. and Nguyen, A., 2013. Climate change communication and young people in the UK: a reception study. International Journal of Media and Cultural Politics, 9 (1).
- Nguyen, A., 2012. The efffect of soft news on public attachment to the news: is infotainment good for democracy? Journalism Studies, 13.
- Nguyen, A., 2012. The digital divide versus the "digital delay": implications from a forecasting model of online news adoption/use. International Journal of Media and Cultural Politics, 8 (2), 251-268.
- Nguyen, A. and McIlwaine, S., 2011. Who wants a voice in science issues - and why? A European survey and its implications for science journalism. Journalism Practice, 5, 210-226.
- Nguyen, A., 2010. Harnessing the potential of online news: Suggestions from a study on the relationship between online news advantages and its post-adoption consequences. Journalism: Theory, Practice and Criticism, 11, 223-241.
- Nguyen, A., 2008. The contribution of online news attributes to its diffusion: An empirical exploration based on a proposed theoretical model for the micro process of online news adoption/use. First Monday, 13.
- Nguyen, A., 2008. Journalism education in Vietnam. Media Asia, 30, 110-130.
- Nguyen, A., 2008. Facing the "Fabulous Monster": The traditional media's fear-driven innovation culture in the development of online news. Journalism Studies, 9, 91-204.
- Nguyen, A., 2007. The interaction between technology and society: lessons learnt from 160 evolutionary years of online news. First Monday, 12.
- Nguyen, A. and Western, M., 2007. Socio-structural correlates of online news and information adoption/use: Implications for the digital divide. Journal of Sociology, 43, 167-185.
- Nguyen, A., 2006. Journalism in the wake of participatory publishing. Australian Journalism Review, 28, 143-156.
- Nguyen, A., 2006. The status and relevance of Vietnamese journalism education: An empirical analysis. Asia Pacific Media Educator, 17, 41-55.
- Nguyen, A. and Western, M., 2006. The complementary relationship between the Internet and traditional mass media: the case of online news and information on traditional sources. Information Research, 11.
- Nguyen, A., Ferrier, L., Western, M. and McKay, S., 2006. Online News in Australia: patterns of use and gratification. Australian Studies in Journalism, 15, 5-34.
- McIlwaine, S. and Nguyen, A., 2005. Are journalism students equipped to write about science? Australian Studies in Journalism, 14, 41-60.
- Redden, G., Caldwell, N. and Nguyen, A., 2003. Warblogging as social critical practice. Southern Review: Communication, Politics & Culture, 36, 68-79.
- Nguyen, A., 2003. The current status and potential development of online news consumption: a structural approach. First Monday, 8.
- News, Numbers and Public Opinion in a Data-Driven World. New York: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Lugo-Ocando, J. and Nguyen, A., 2017. Developing news global journalism and the coverage of “third world” development.
- Special Issue: Data and Statistics in Journalism and Journalism Education. Journalism: Theory, Practice and Criticism, 17(1).
- Special Issue: Communication Dynamics in Public Engagement with Climate Change. International Journal of Media and Cultural Politics. 9(1).
- Lê, B.H., Phạm, T.V. and Nguyễn, A.Đ., 2010. Climate Change: A Global Threat (Môi Trường Khí Hậu Biến Đổi: Mối Hiểm Hoạ Toàn Cầu). Ho Chi Minh City: Vietnam National University Press.
- Nguyen, A., 2008. The Penetration of Online News: Past, Present and Future. Saarbrücken: VDM Verlag.
- Special issue: Backburning: New Talents 21C. Journal of Australian Studies, No 84.
- Nguyen, A. and Scifo, S., 2018. Mapping the citizen news landscape: blurring boundaries, promises, perils and beyond. In: Vos, T., ed. The Handbook of Communication Science. De Gruyter.
- Nguyen, A. and Vu, H.T., 2017. Numbers behind the news: audience metrics and the changing nature of journalistic gatekeeping. In: Nguyen, A., ed. News, Numbers and Public Opinion in a Data-Driven World. Bloomsbury Academic.
- Brandao, R. and Nguyen, A., 2017. Statistics in science journalism: an exploratory study of four leading Brazilian and British newspapers. In: Nguyen, A., ed. News, Numbers and Public Opinion in a Data-Driven World. Bloomsbury Academic.
- Nguyen, A., 2017. Exciting times in the shadow of the post-truth era: news, numbers and public opinion in a data-driven world. In: Nguyen, A., ed. News, Numbers and Public Opinion in a Data-Driven World. Bloomsbury.
- Nguyen, A., 2013. Online news audiences: the challenges of web metrics. In: Allan, S. and Fowler-Watt, K., eds. Journalism: New Challenges. Poole, England: CJCR: Centre for Journalism & Communication Research, Bournemouth University, 146-161.
- Nguyen, A. and Garcia, A., 2012. When public service is the name of the game: the evolution of British and Spanish PSBs in online journalism. In: Burns, M. and Brugger, N., eds. Histories of Public Service Broadcasters on the Web. London: Peter Lang, 3-16.
- Nguyen, A., 2011. Marrying the professional to the amateur: strategies and implications of the OhmyNews model. In: Meikle, G. and Redden, G., eds. News Online: Transformations and Continuities. Basingstoke: Palgrave Mcmillan, 195-209.
- Nguyen, A., 2009. Globalisation, citizen journalism and the nation state: A Vietnamese perspective. In: Allan, S. and Thorsen, E., eds. Citizen Journalism: Global Perspectives. New York/London: Peter Lang, 153-162.
- Vu, H. and Nguyen, A., 2017. Evaluations, uses and effects of online social networks as a political news source: an EU survey and its implications. In: Future of Journalism 14-15 September 2017 Cardiff University.
- Nguyen, A., 2017. Who use social media as their primary science news source -- and what what effects? Findings and implications for science journalism from a UK survey. In: Future of Journalism 14-15 September 2017 Cardiff University.
- Nguyen, A., 2017. The news media in the battle against climate change: can journalism ever engage and mobilise people toward sustainability lifestyles? In: ASEAN Festival of Learning 30-31 March 2017 Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang.
- Nguyen, A., 2017. Science and journalism in development processes: toward a fruitful partnership. In: ASEAN Festival of Learning 27 March 2017 Binus University, Jakarta.
- Nguyen, A., 2017. World journalism trends: newspapers in the digital vortex (Bức tranh báo chí thế giới: báo giấy trong cơn lốc số). In: In-house workshop with editors and reporters at Tuoi Tre Daily 24 March 2017 Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Nguyen, A., 2016. Developing a News Performance Index for Vietnam: why is it long overdue and what should it entail? In: Keynote lecture to senior journalists and media policy-makers at Building an Evaluation System for the Vietnamese News Media Routable, organised by the Centre for Research on Development Communication 14-15 January 2016 Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Nguyen, A., 2015. Journalism and development in the globalisation of Vietnam. In: Invited lecture to reporters and editors at the Voice of Vietnam 5 August 2015 Hanoi.
- Nguyen, A., 2014. "Globalisation and the Media". In: Invited lecture at Department of Communication Science, University of Indonesia 17 April 2014 Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Nguyen, A., 2014. "Some practices to avoid when covering news about health risks". In: Keynote speech at "Communicating Health Risks in the Media: How to Avoid Public Panics" Conference 15 April 2014 Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Nguyen, A., 2014. "Globalisation, the media and culture: a Vietnamese perspective". In: Invited Lecture at Department of Communication, HCMC University of Culture 11 April 2014 Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Nguyen, A., 2014. "Numbers behind the news: journalism in the wake of the click-thinking culture". In: Keynote paper at Conference on Statistics in Journalism Practices and Education 31 January-1 February 2014 Sheffield University, England.
- Nguyen, A., 2014. "Do online social media displace established political news sources?". In: UK Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association's Annual Conference 8-10 January 2014 Bournemouth, England.
- Nguyen, A., 2013. "What is good science journalism?". In: Invited talk to emerging Southeast Asian science journalists at World Federation of Science Journalists' SjCOOP Asia Meeting 22-27 September 2013 Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Nguyen, A., 2013. "Journalism in the context of globalisation". In: Invited speech to senior editors of Tuoi Tre Daily 4 January 2013 Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Nguyen, A., 2012. “Integrating news audience knowledge into the professional toolkit: a new mission for journalism education?”. In: Invited paper at Symposium on Rethinking Journalism Teaching and Learning in an Interactive World 21 March 2012 Sheffield University, England.
- Nguyen, A., 2012. “Journalism professionalism for a transitional Vietnam: current developments and future challenges". In: Invited paper at "Contemporary Challenges in Transitional Vietnam" Conference 29 February 2012 British Academy, London.
- Nguyen, A., 2011. “The journalist in a gradually globalising Vietnam”. In: Invited speech to journalists and media regulators in Danang City, Vietnam 13 January 2011 Department of Information and Communication, Danang, Vietnam.
- Nguyen, A., 2010. "Citizen journalism and the globalisation of news". In: Invited lecture series at LUISS University 10-12 May 2010 Rome, Italy.
- Nguyen, A., 2010. “Climate change communication as global communication”. In: Invited lecture at Pontifical Gregorian University 11 May 2010 Rome, Italy.
- Nguyen, A., 2009. “Barriers to communicating climate change” (with Matthew Hibberd). In: Invited paper at CMS Vatavaran Wildlife and Film Festival 30 October 2009 New Delhi, India.
- Nguyen, A., 2009. “Building and nurturing an international partnership in higher education: Experience from a UK-Vietnam project”. In: Invited speech at UK-China Conference on Internationalising Higher Education (sponsored by British Council) 19 October 2009 Kunming, China.
- Nguyen, A., 2009. The penetration of online news into the newsroom. In: Invited paper at Department of Politics & International Relations, Royal Holloway 26 February 2009 Universiity of London, England.
- Nguyen, A., 2007. “Professional journalism inside and outside the academic environment”. In: Invited speech to academic staff at Department of Journalism and Communication, HCMC Universities of Social Sciences and Humanities 22 September 2007 Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Nguyen, A., 2006. “The characteristics, potential development and business models of online news”. In: Invited lecture at Tuoi Tre Daily 19 February 2006 Ho Chi Minh City.
- Nguyen, A., 2017. The nature of the "war" between Mr Trump and the media (Thực chất 'cuộc chiến' giữa ông Trump và truyền thông). Expert talkshow with BBC Vietnamese, 19/02/2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIAsxfJ2g0Y&feature=youtu.be: BBC Vietnamese. Published online.
- Nguyen, A., 2016. Mr Trump and the American mainstream media (Ông Trump và truyền thông chính thống Mỹ). Expert talk show with BBC Vietnamese, 20/11/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ows1fhLe8rQ&t=1503s: BBC Vietnamese. Published online.
- Nguyen, A., 2016. Did the British press make Brexit? (Báo chí Anh đã làm nên Brexit?). The Saigon Times (Thời báo Kinh tế Sài Gòn), 7/7/2016: http://www.thesaigontimes.vn/148550/Bao-chi-Anh-da-lam-nen-Brexit.html. Published.
- Nguyen, A., 2016. Brexit not just against EU (Brexit không chỉ chống EU). Front-page editorial in The Youth Daily (Tuổii Trẻ) (Vietnam), 27/06/2016: http://tuoitre.vn/tin/chinh-tri-xa-hoi/thoi-su-suy-nghi/20160627/brexit-khong-chi-chong-eu/1125466.html. Published online.
- Nguyen, A., 2016. Nobody can legalise all corners of ethics (Không ai có thể luật hoá mọi ngõ ngách đạo đức).. Interview by the Law Magazine (Tạp chí Luật khoa), Vietnam in response to the Vice-chairman of the Vietnamese Journalists' Association: http://luatkhoa.org/2016/05/khong-ai-co-the-luat-hoa-moi-ngo-ngach-dao-duc/. Published online.
- Nguyen, A. and Lugo-Ocando, J., 2015. A vaccine against that anti-data journalism brain. Commentary on Data-DrivenJournalism.net (European Journalism Centre), 04/11/2015: http://datadrivenjournalism.net/news_and_analysis/a_vaccine_against_that_anti_data_journalism_brain. Published.
- Nguyen, A., 2015. Vietnamese journalism in a rapidly changing news environment (Báo chí Việt trong một môi trường tin tức đầy biến động). The Saigon Times, No 24, 25/06/2015: http://www.thesaigontimes.vn/132026/Bao-chi-Viet-Nam-trong-moi-truong-tin-tuc-day-bien-dong.html. Published online.
- Bao Quoc Duong (The framing and representation of climate change issues in the Vietnamese news media)
- Khanh Hoang (Effects of social media on Vietnamese young people's news attitudes and behaviours)
- Minh Tran (The representation of global science controversies in the Vietnamese news media)
- Xin Zheng (Chinese teenagers as news audiences: perspectives and evaluations)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Communication Theory (contributing lecturer)
- MAMMJ Dissertation/Project (supervisor)
- Journalism in Global Contexts (course leader)
Profile of Teaching UG
- BAMMJ Dissertation (course leader and supervisor)
- News Theory (contributing lecturer)
- Professionalism of science journalism in developing Asia: opportunities and challenges (World Federation of Science Journalists, 01 Sep 2013). Awarded
- E-governance for development (Danang People's Committee (Vietnam) and World Bank, 01 Nov 2012). Awarded
- Communicating climate change in India and the UK: a reception study (UK-India Education and Research Initiative Grant, 01 Oct 2009). Awarded
- Prime Minister’s Initiatives for the Internationalisation of Higher Education Award (UK Government via British Council, 01 Jun 2008). Awarded
- UNESCO Young Scholar's Communication Research Award (UNESCO via the Asian Media Information and Communication Centre, 01 Jun 2006). Awarded
- New Talents 21C Award (Australian Public Intellectuals' Network, 01 Mar 2004). Awarded
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarship for PhD study at the University of Queensland (Australian Government and the University of Queensland, 01 Jul 2002). Awarded
- Atlantic Philanthropies Masters Scholarship (Atlantic Philanthropies, 01 Jan 2000). Awarded
- Journal of Applied Journalism and Media Studies, Member of Editorial Board (2016-)
- Journalism Education Journal, Member of Editorial Board (2012-), http://journalism-education.org/; Journalism Education
- University of Sheffield, External Examiner, MSc in Science Communication (2011-2014)
- Professional Certificate in English-Vietnamese Translation (National Authority for the Accreditation of Translators and Interpreters, Australia, 2007)
- BA (Hons) in English Linguistics and Literature (Vietnam National University in Ho Chi Minh City, 1997)
- MA in Journalism (University of Queensland, Australia, 2001)
- PhD in Media and Communication (University of Queensland, Australia, 2007)
- A third and an encouragement prize in a national science writing competition entitled "Profiling Prominent Young People in Science and Technology" (Vietnamese Journalists' Association, Central Committee of Vietnamese Youth League, Ministry for Science, Technology & the Environment, Vietnam Television, and the Pioneer newspaper, 1999)
- Reuters Prize for Postgraduate Study in International Journalism (Reuters Foundation & University of Queensland, 2001)
- New Talents 21C Award – A$5,000 covering a research trip to co-edit a special issue of Journal of Australian Studies for new and emerging scholars. (Australian Public Intellectual Network, 2004)
- UNESCO Young Scholar’s Communication Research Award – to conduct research into the status and relevance of journalism education in Vietnam (UNESCO, via the Asian Media Information and Communication Centre, 2006)
- Journal of Applied Journalism and Media Studies, Member of Editorial Board (2016-),
- Journalism Education Journal, Member of Editorial Board (2011-),
- Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association, Member (2007-),
- UK Association of Journalism Education, Member (2010-),