Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I started my career as an advertising media planner buyer, working with agencies such as Ogilvy & Mather and Davidson Pearce. Through the 90's & 0's I was a Board Director and Head of Direct Marketing Communications Planning, for Carat UK. In this role, I became a member of the DMA and Fellow of the Institute of Direct & Digital Marketing (IDM), contributing to the various industry councils and delivering media planning training sessions as a part of the IDM Qualifications offering. I was named IDM Educator of the Year, 2011.
I started my academic career at London South Bank University, in 2005, since when I have been teaching, researching and publishing in the areas of marketing education and marketing communication.
I gained my PGCHE in 2012 and was awarded the PGCHE Learning and Teaching ‘Best Research Project’ prize for my research into the issues and expectations around embedding employability skills into Marketing course structures within HE. I went on to present my research at AM2013 and later published it in Marketing Review... (Barker, B. (2014) Employability Skills: Maintaining relevance in Marketing Education, Marketing Review, Volume 14, Number 1, Spring 2014, pp. 29-48(20).
I was also a part of the Department of Marketing team 'Commended' for our 'Alumni social network project' in the VC’s Enterprising Staff Awards, 2013, which later gained us the Academy of Marketing Team Teaching Excellence Award, 2014
I am currently studying for my PhD in Marketing (with the focus on Media Planning) at Bournemouth University. I have presented a number of related papers at the Academy of Marketing along the way & was awarded ‘Best Paper’ at the Academy of Marketing Doctoral Colloquium, Southampton, 2012more
My research interests lie in two main areas. Firstly, looking at marketing communications strategy across all areas of media, data, direct & digital marketing, and secondly, the teaching & learning of advertising and marketing within HE, in particular the tensions between academia and the need to embed employability skills and professional training.
1) My key focus at the current time is my PhD, researching how media strategy and planning is evolving in this digital and data driven environment; and whether advertising and media planning process models developed in the hay day of mass communication are still relevant. I am looking particularly at the changing balance between attitudinal and behavioural outcomes, identified by some commentators as the rise of short-termism.
2) In addition, I am keenly interested in teaching and learning, e-learning and employability, particularly in the context of marketing and advertising. My PGCHE research, and most recent paper, was specifically around the issues and expectations of embedding employability skills into the curriculum. I am currently exploring the role of the ‘placement’ as a mechanism to deliver employability. To support this I have also worked on a project to create a ‘digital first’ online interactive, entry level, Marketing text in WileyPlus Learning Space, that incorporates many practical activities.
•Barker, B. 2014. Employability skills: Maintaining Relevance In Marketing Education, Marketing Review, 14:28-48
•McLoughlin, D., Barker, B., Elliot, G., Rundle-Thiele, S., & Waller, D... 2015. Marketing. 1st edition. WileyPlus Learning Space, London. https://www.wiley.com/college/sc/wpls/region/emea/mcloughlin.html.more
- Barker, B., 2014. Employability skills: Maintaining relevance in marketing education. The Marketing Review, 14, 29-48.
- Barker, B., 1995. What do we know about: The world of Direct Mail. Admap, 1995 (11).
- Barker, B., 1995. What do we know about: Press Planning for Direct Response Advertising? Admap, 1995 (9).
- Barker, B., 1995. What do we know about Direct Response television advertising? Admap, 1995 (6).
- McLoughlin, D., Barker, B., Elliot, G., Rundle-Thiele, S. and Waller, D., 2015. Marketing, 1st International Edition, WileyPLUS Learning Spacestudent Package. online UK: Wiley.
- Barker, B., 2010. Integrated digital marketing communications. Digital Marketing Best Practice: Fundamentals of strategy and practice, The Marketing & Management Collection. London, UK: Henry Stewart Talks Ltd.
- Barker, B., 2007. Press ahead and get some good results. In: IDM, ed. IDM Marketing Guide. The IDM, 1-44.
- Barker, B., 2007. Integration - bringing the media plan together - or making it all work – really. IDM Marketing Guide. Teddington, UK: IDM, 1-36.
- Barker, B., 2007. Watching the response come in DRTV and iTV. IDM Marketing Guide. Teddington, UK: IDM, 1-84.
- Barker, B., 2003. IMC. The Practitioners Guide to Data and Digital Marketing. Teddington, UK: IDM.
- Barker, B., 2003. Ambient and other opportunities. The Practitioners Guide to Data and Digital Marketing. Teddington, UK: IDM.
- Barker, B., 2003. The Press. The Practitioners Guide to Data and Digital Marketing. Teddongton: IDM.
- Barker, B., 2003. TV & iTV. The Practitioners Guide to Data and Digital Marketing. Teddington, UK: IDM.
- Barker, B., 2003. Interactive Television & Emerging Media. The Practitioners Guide to Data and Digital Marketing. Teddington, UK: IDM.
- Barker, B., 1998. Media Planning. The Interactive and Direct Marketing Guide. Teddington, UK: IDM, 1-30.
- Barker, B., 1998. Press Space & Inserts. The Interactive and Direct Marketing Guide. Teddington, UK: IDM, 1-40.
- Barker, B., 1998. DRTV & iTV, The Interactive and Direct Marketing Guide. The Interactive and Direct Marketing Guide. Teddington, UK: IDM, 1-70.
- Barker, B., 1995. Planning Press Space and Inserts,. The Direct Marketing Guide. Teddington, UK: IDM, 1-30.
- Barker, B., 2015. Media planning: Exploration of the media decision making process in the digital environment. In: Academy of Marketing 2015 6-10 July 2015 Limerick.
- Barker, B., 2014. Media Planning: Measuring the distance between theory and practice. In: Academy of Marketing 7-10 July 2014 Bournemouth.
- Barker, B., 2013. Employability Skills: Maintaining relevance in Marketing Education. In: Academy of Marketing Conference 8-11 July 2013 Glamorgan.
- Barker, B., 2012. Reputation management: the opportunity to improve your customer service. In: Academy of Marketing Conference 2-5 July 2012 Southampton.
- Barker, B. and Roberts, K., 2010. Impact of Social Media on Marketing Communications Planning, Academy of Marketing Conference. In: Academy of Marketing Conference 6-9 July 2010 Coventry.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Live Advertising Campaigns: An exciting L5 unit run over just 3 weeks to draw all of the students' learning to date together to answer a live industry brief.
- Media Planning; Digital & Social Media; Data Driven Marketing; Principles of Marketing; Marketing Research; Product Management; Charity/Social Marketing; Digital Marketing
- Marketing: catching the technology wave. Academy of Marketing Conference 2012, 3 July 2012, University of Southampton’s School of Management
- Academy of Marketing 2010, 7 July 2010, Coventry
- SFHEA in Teaching & Learning (Higher Education Academy, 2014)
- F HEA in - (2012)
- PGCHE in - (LSBU, 2012)