Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I currently Chair the Association for Events Management Education (AEME) whose aim is to advance events education and research through its member organisations of UK Universities, Colleges and trainers. I am also Vice Chair of the Business Visits & Events Partnership (BVEP), the umbrella organisation that represents the leading trade and professional organisations, government agencies and other significant influencers in the business visits and events sector. My main roles for BVEP are to further enhance events education, to review the professionalisation of the industry and to identify its creative value.
After working at senior level in a number of local authority leisure services, I joined Bournemouth University in 1992 and created an experiential events management unit on the BA (Hons) Leisure Marketing programme. This was followed by the creation of the MSc Events Management and BA (Hons) Events Management courses. The continued growth of events education and research culminated in the development of the Department of Events & Leisure in the Faculty of Management... Over 30 academics and postgraduate research students and 800 Bachelor and Master’s students studying events, leisure and project management form this internationally respected Department.
My research and teaching interests relate to a greater understanding of the meanings associated with events and leisure experiences. My PhD, entitled 'the lived experience of the popular music festival-goer' took a descriptive phenomenological approach to investigating others’ music festival experiences. I am currently working with the University of Westminster, with support from the Events Industry Forum, to identify the creative intensity of the UK events industry. I am researching the development and nature of events education, particularly comparing China and the UK with a visiting scholar from Donghua University, Dr Liu Chunzhang. I am currently teaching Arts Marketing and Creative Media & Events.more
- Jackson, C., 2014. The Festival and Event Experience. International Journal of Event and Festival Managment, 15 (3), 196-197.
- Moital, M., Jackson, C. and Couillard, J., 2013. Using scenarios to investigate stakeholders’ views on the future of a sporting event. Event Management, 17 (4), 439-452.
- Moital, M., Whitfield, J.E., Jackson, C. and Bahl, A., 2012. Event Sponsorship by Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Drinks Businesses in India. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 24, 289-311.
- Moital, M., Whitfield, J.E., Jackson, C. and Bahl, A., 2012. Event sponsorship by alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks businesses in India. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 24, 289-311.
- Jackson, C., Morgan, M. and Hemmington, N., 2009. Extraordinary experiences in tourism: Introduction to the special edition. International Journal of Tourism Research, 11 (2), 107-109.
- Jackson, C., 2009. A paradigm shift in researching the events experience? Event Management: an international journal, 13 (1), 4-6.
- Jackson, C., Beeston, S. and Darkins, A., 2008. Event Management Skills. Link, January 2008, 5-7.
- Jackson, C., 2006. Events and Festivals: Education, Impacts and Experiences. In: Fleming, S. and Jordan, F., eds. Events and Festivals: Education, Impacts and Experiences. Eastbourne, England: Leisure Studies Association.
- Sadd, D. and Jackson, C., 2006. Plannning for Resort Regeneration: The role of the Olympic 2012 bid for Weymouth and Portland, Dorset. In: Robertson, M., ed. Sporting Events and Event Tourism: Impacts, Plans and Opportunites. University of Brighton, England: Leisure Studies Association, 43-64.
- Morgan, J. and Laws, C., 2015. Is the events industry a creative industry? In: Creative Risk 15-16 July 2015 Falmouth University.
- Moital, L., Jackson, C. and Gouthro, M., 2009. Examining the contribution of emotions to festival satisfaction using logistic regression. In: Allen, J., ed. International Event Management Summit 6-7 July 2009 Gold Coast, Australia. Sydney: Australian Centre for Event Management, University of Technology, Sydney, 457-472.
- Jackson, C., Moital, M. and Le Couillard, J., 2009. The future of a Marathon as perceived by its stakeholders. In: International Event Management Summit 6-7 July 2009 Gold Coast, Australia. Sydney: Australian Centre for Event Management, University of Technology, Sydney, 325-342.
- Moital, M., Bahl, A. and Jackson, C., 2007. Event Sponsorship by India’s Beverage Industry. In: Fourth International Event Research Conference: Re-eventing the City: Events as Catalysts for Change 11-12 July 2007 Melbourne, Australia.
- Anderson, J., Higgins, L., Jackson, C. and Palmer, A., 2007. Impact and Sustainability: The Iceberg that is TLC. In: HEA FDTL Conference 5-6 February 2007 Bristol, England.
- Anderson, J., Bibbings, L., Jackson, C., MacAfferty, H., Higgins, L. and Palmer, A., 2007. Innovation in Assessment: Fact or Fiction. In: Wickens, E., Hose, T. and Humberstone, B., eds. Critical Issues in Leisure and Tourism Education. Current Trends and Developments in Pedagogy and Research 10-12 May 2006 Buckinghamshire New University (Bucks), England. Oxford University Press, 6-20.
- Jackson, C., 2007. Mission Impossible IV: The Event Experience. In: Postgraduate Research in Tourism Conference 2007 University of Exeter, England.
- Jackson, C., 2007. Researching the Impossible: The Event Experience. In: Event Tourism Conference - Enhancing Destinations and the Visitor Economy 10-11 January 2007 Bournemouth University, England.
- Anderson, J. and Jackson, C., 2006. How do Lecturers and Students Feel about Assessment and Educational Renewal? In: LSA 2006: Making Space: Leisure, Tourism and Renewal 11-13 July 2006 University of the West of England, Bristol, England.
- Jackson, C. and Wilding, A., 2006. Releasing Creativity Through Visual Communication. Releasing the Potential: Developing Self-Motivated, Independent Lifelong Learners. In: Bournemouth University Learning and Teaching Development Day - Releasing the Potential: developing self-motivated, independent lifelong learners 16 May 2006 Bournemouth.
- Jackson, C., 2006. Releasing creativity? Challenging Institutional Priorities. In: Writing Development in Higher Education Conference: Challenging Institutional Priorities 11-12 May 2006 Open University, Milton Keynes, England.
- Jackson, C. and Bibbings, L., 2005. Visual Representation in Focus Group Research. In: Pedagogic Research: HEA & HoLST December 2005 Oxford Brookes University, England.
- Sadd, D. and Jackson, C., 2005. Plannning for Resort Regeneration: The role of the Olympic 2012 bid for Weymouth and Portland, Dorset. In: LSA 2005: Leisure Studies Association 2005 Conference. Festivals and Events: Beyond Economic Impacts 6-8 July 2005 Napier University, Edinburgh.
- Jackson, C., 2005. Event Collaboration and CMC. In: 3rd Association for Events Management Education Forum 13-14 June 2005 Leeds Metropolitan University, England.
- Higgins, L. and Jackson, C., 2005. A Little Bit of TLC: Towards Learning Creatively. In: 3rd AEME Events Management Educators Forum 13-14 June 2005 Leeds Metropolitan University, England..
- Jackson, C., 2005. The Experiential Impacts of Events. In: Festivals and Events: Beyond Economic Impacts: Leisure Studies Association Conference 2005 6-8 July 2005 Napier University, Edinburgh.
- Jackson, C., 2004. Innovations in Assessing Live Events. In: 3rd AEME Events Management Educators Forum 13-14 June 2005 Leeds Metropolitan University, England..
Profile of Teaching PG
Profile of Teaching UG
- Creative Media & Events
- Arts Marketing
- Event Design and Performance
- Industry Forum, 10 November 2007 as part of The Second China (Beijing) International Cultural & Creative Industry Expo as part of the lead up to the Beijing Summer and Paralympic Games, 2008.
- Is the events industry a creative industry? (Events Industry Forum, 22 Feb 2016). In Progress
- Destination: Music The Contribution of music festivals and major concerts to tourism in the UK. (UK Music, 04 Nov 2010). Completed
- Beach Break Live Survey (Student Seed Ltd, 04 Jun 2010). Completed
- South West Events Strategy (South West Regional Development Authority, 04 Feb 2008). Completed
- Towards inclusive assessment: unleashing creativity (Higher Education Funding Council for England, 15 Nov 2004). Completed
- Fast Forward 15, Mentor (2017-2018), http://www.fastforward15.co.uk/
- Association for Events Management Education, Chair (2015-2018), http://www.aeme.org/
- Business Visits & Events Partnership, Vice Chair (2016-2018), http://www.businessvisitsandeventspartnership.com/
- MSc in Recreation Management (Loughborough University, 1983)
- PG Cert in History & PE (University of Keele, 1982)
- BA (Hons) in English & History (University of Keele, 1982)
- Association for Events Management Education, Chair (2015-2018), http://www.aeme.org/
- Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport & Physical Activity (CIMSPA), Member, http://cimspa.co.uk/
- Higher Education Academy (FHEA), Fellow,
- Leisure Studies Association, Member,
- Royal Society of Arts, Fellow (2017-), https://www.thersa.org/