Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Damien Fay obtained a B.Eng from UCD (1995), an MEng (1997) and PhD (2003) from DCU and worked as a mathematics lecturer at the National University of Ireland (2003-2007) before joining the NetOS group, Computer Laboratory, Cambridge from 2007-2010 as a research associate. He was a research fellow at the Cork centre for computational complexity, 4C, University College Cork from 2010-2012. Damien recently took up a tenured lectureship in big data analysis with the smart technologies research centre at Bournemouth university. Damien is best known for developing the wavelet transfer model in time series analysis, the weighted spectral distribution metric in applied graph theory and recently lodged a patent for an arrival time prediction algorithm which has won a UCC commercialisation 2012 award. His interests are in the areas of time series analysis and applied graph theory.
- Wang, H., Fay, D., Brown, K.N. and Kilmartin, L., 2016. Modelling revenue generation in a dynamically priced mobile telephony service. Telecommunication Systems, 62 (4), 711-734.
- Fay, D., Moore, A.W., Gurman, J., Filosi, M. and Brown, K., 2014. Graph metrics as summary statistics for Approximate Bayesian Computation with application to network model parameter estimation. Journal of Complex Networks.
- Fay, D., Norkus, M., Kilmartin, L., Murphy, M.J., Ólaighin, G. and Barry, F., 2013. The Effect of Temperature Elevation on Cryopreserved Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Cryoletters, 34 (4), 349-359.
- Fay, D., Kunegis, J. and Bauckhage, C., 2012. Spectral evolution in dynamic networks. Knowledge and Information Systems, 1-36.
- Fay, D., Norkus, M., Murphy, M.J., Barry, F., ÓLaighin, G. and Kilmartin, L., 2012. On the Application of Active Learning and Gaussian Processes in Postcryopreservation Cell Membrane Integrity Experiments. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (TCBB), 9 (3), 846-856.
- Fay, D., Haddadi, H., Uhlig, S., Kilmartin, L., Moore, A.W., Kunegis, J. and Iliofotou, M., 2011. Discriminating graphs through spectral projections. Computer Networks, 55 (15), 3458-3468.
- Fay, D., 2011. Determining association networks in social animals: choosing spatial–temporal criteria and sampling rates. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, 65 (8), 1659-1668.
- Fay, D., Zhang, Y., Kilmartin, L. and Moore, A.W., 2010. A Garch-based adaptive playout delay algorithm for VoIP. Computer Networks, 54 (17), 3108-3122.
- Fay, D., 2010. Mixing biases: Structural changes in the AS topology evolution. Traffic Monitoring and Analysis, 32-45.
- Fay, D., 2010. On the influence of weather forecast errors in short-term load forecasting models. Power Systems, IEEE Transactions on, 25 (3), 1751-1758.
- Fay, D., 2010. A weighted spectrum metric for comparison of internet topologies. ACM SIGMETRICS Performance Evaluation Review, 37 (3), 67-72.
- Fay, D., 2010. Weighted spectral distribution for internet topology analysis: theory and applications. Networking, IEEE/ACM Transactions on, 18 (1), 164-176.
- Fay, D., Haddadi, H., Uhlig, S., Moore, A.W., Mortier,, R., Jamakovic, A. and Rio, M., 2008. Tuning topology generators using spectral distributions. Performance Evaluation: Metrics, Models and Benchmarks, 154-173.
- Fay, D., 2007. A wavelet transfer model for time series forecasting. D Fay, J Ringwood International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 17 (10), 3691-3696.
- Fay, D., 2003. 24-h electrical load data—a sequential or partitioned time series? Neurocomputing, 55 (3), 469-498.
- Fay, D., 2012. Statistical and Machine Learning Approaches for Network Analysis. Statistical and Machine Learning Approaches for Network Analysis. Wiley.
- Bakirov, Gabrys, B. and Fay, D., 2016. Augmenting Adaptation with Retrospective Model Correction for Non-Stationary Regression Problems. In: International Joint Conference on Neural Networks 24-29 July 2016 Vancouver, Canada.
- Bakirov, R., Gabrys, B. and Fay, D., 2015. On Sequences of Different Adaptive Mechanisms in Non-Stationary Regression Problems. In: 2015 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks 12-17 July 2015 Killarney, Ireland.
- Fay, D., 2013. Centrality and mode detection in dynamic contact graphs; a joint diagonalisation approach. In: no, ed. Advances in Social Network Analysis and Mining 25-28 August 2013 Niagara Falls, Canada,.
- Fay, D., 2012. Lies, damn lies and preferences: a Gaussian process model for ubiquitous thermal preference trials. In: Proceedings of the Fourth ACM Workshop on Embedded Sensing Systems for Energy-Efficiency in Buildings 6 November 2012 Toronto. ACM.
- Fay, D., Kunegis, J., Sizov, S. and Schwagereit, F., 2012. Diversity dynamics in online networks. In: Proceedings of the 23rd ACM conference on Hypertext and social media 25-28 June 2012 Milwaukee. ACM, 255-264.
- Fay, D., Kunegis, J. and Bauckhage, C., 2010. Network growth and the spectral evolution model. In: Proceedings of the 19th ACM international conference on Information and knowledge management 26-28 October 2010 Toronto. 739-748.
- Fay, D., Haddadi, H., Jamakovic, A., Maennel, O., Moore, A.W., Mortier, R. and Uhlig, S., 2009. On the importance of local connectivity for Internet topology models. In: Teletraffic Congress, 2009. ITC 21 2009. 21st International 15-17 September 2009 Paris, France.. IEEE, 1-8.
- Fay, D., Canini, M., Miller, D.J., Moore, A.W. and Bolla, R., 2009. Per flow packet sampling for high-speed network monitoring. In: Communication Systems and Networks and Workshops, 2009. COMSNETS 2009. First International 5-10 January 2009 Bangalore. IEEE.
- Fay, D., Benabbas, F., Khadir, M.T. and Boughrira, A., 2008. Kohonen Map Combined to the K-Means Algorithm for the Identification of Day Types of Algerian Electricity Load. In: CISIM 2008 International Conference 7th Computer Information Systems and Industrial Management Applications 26-29 June 2008 Ostrava, The Czech Republic,.
- PhD in Time series analysis (DCU, 2004)
- UCC Commercialisation award. (University College Cork, 2013)