Dr Deborah Gabriel
- 01202 965275
- dgabriel at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Marketing Communications
- Weymouth House W432, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I teach on degree programmes in politics, public relations, advertising and marketing communications. A former print and online journalist, I previously lectured in journalism at London Metropolitan University, University of Salford and Birkbeck, University of London, before joining BU. In addition to my full-time academic role, I am the Founder and Director of Black British Academics, an independent network working to tackle racial inequalities in the higher education sector.
My research has two distinct strands. The first strand is concerned with political discourse and communication, raced and gendered constructions and representation in media and popular culture and identity politics. The second strand of my research is concerned both with the dynamics of race, ethnicity and culture in higher education and with equality, diversity and inclusion in academic and educational practice. I aim to provide critical and nuanced understandings on racial inequalities in higher education as they impact both staff and students. My research is also focused on critical pedagogies linked both to my own teaching and consultancy work undertaken for HEIs. The broad focus that links both dimensions of this strand is the key objective of decolonising, democratizing and diversifying the institutional culture in higher education.
I specialise in qualitative-interpretative research using critical, transformative and emancipatory paradigms, heavily informed by Black feminism and critical race theory. I employ a range of research methods including focus groups, interviews and case studies, critical ethnography, autoethnography, virtual ethnography and cyberethnography.
I am interested in supervising students on qualitative research projects related to my research interests as outlined above .
- Gabriel, D., 2017. Pedagogies of social justice and cultural democracy in media higher education. Media Education Research Journal.
- Gabriel, D., 2016. Blogging while Black, British and female: a critical study on discursive activism. INFORMATION COMMUNICATION & SOCIETY, 19 (11), 1622-1635.
- Gabriel, D., 2015. Challenging the Whiteness of Britishness: Co-creating British Social History in the Blogosphere. Online Journal of Media and Communication Technologies, 6 (4).
- Gabriel, D. and Tate, S.A., 2017. Inside the Ivory Tower: Narratives of Women of Colour Surviving and Thriving in British Academia. London: Trentham Books.
- Gabriel, D., 2007. Layers of Blackness: Colourism in the African Diaspora. London: Imani Media Ltd.
- Gabriel, D., 2017. Overcoming objectification and dehumanisation in academia. In: Gabriel, D. and Tate, S.A., eds. Inside the Ivory Tower: Narratives of Women of Colour Surviving and Thriving in British Academia. London: Trentham Books.
- Gabriel, D., 2016. Race, Racism and Resistance in British Academia. In: Fereidooni,, K. and El, M., eds. A Critical Study of (Trans) National Racism: Interdependence of Racist Phenomenon and Resistance Forms. Wiesbaden: SpringerVS.
- Gabriel, D., 2015. Alternative Voices in Alternative Spaces: Counterhegemonic Discourse in the Blogosphere. In: Thorsen, E., Jackson, D., Savigny, H. and Alexander, J., eds. Media, Margins and Civic Agency. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Gabriel, D., 2017. Embedding Inclusion, Equality and Liberation in Media Higher Education. In: Global Conference on Education, Research and Policy 11 April 2017 Holiday Inn, College Park, Washington DC.
- Gabriel, D., 2016. Inside the Ivory Tower: Women’s Self-Empowerment and Leadership through the Black Sister Network. In: Third International Conference on Advances in Women's Studies 30-31 July 2016 Buffalo, New York State.
- Gabriel, D. and Richards, A., 2016. Social Justice Pedagogy & Cultural Democracy: Promoting Inclusion & Equality in Further & Higher Education. In: IAFOR International Conference on Education 8-11 January 2016 Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Gabriel, D., 2015. Challenging the whiteness of Britishness: co-creating British social history in the blogosphere. In: 4th International Conference on Communication, Media, Technology & Design 18-19 May 2015 Dubai. online: ICCMTD.
- Gabriel, D., 2014. Blogging While Black, British and Female: Identity, Representation and Social Impact in the Blogogsphere. In: Cyberspace 2014 28-29 November 2014 Brno, Czech Republic.
- Gabriel, D., 2013. Alternative Voices in Alternative Spaces: Counterhegemonic Discourse in the Blogosphere. In: Minority Voices: Media & Politics 13-14 November 2013 Bournemouth University.
- Gabriel, D., 2012. Finding alternative voices in the blogosphere using autobiographical ethnography and virtual ethnography in a study on African Caribbean Bloggers. In: Research Methods in Media Discourse 17 November 2012 De Montfort University.
- Gabriel, D., 2012. African Caribbean Bloggers in the UK: Alternative Voices on the Web. In: Crossroads in Cultural Studies 2-5 July 2012 Sorbonne University, Paris.
- Gabriel, D., 2017. The othering and objectification of Diane Abbott MP in the 2017 UK General Election. Centre for the Study of Journalism, Culture & Community.
- Gabriel, D., 2016. Belonging, racism and white backlash in the 2016 US Presidential Election. Centre for the Study of Journalism Culture and Community.
- Kimberley McFarland. Exploring how educators can use experiential e-learning to teach entrepreneurial and business literacy to high school students
Profile of Teaching UG
- Media Inequality L6 (Unit Leader)
- Experiencing Politics L4 (Unit Leader)
- Dissertation Supervisor L6
- Social Communication L6 (Unit Leader)
- 'Teaching for Social Change While Surviving & Thriving in British Academia'' | Oct 2017 | Sheffield Hallam University Institute of Education
- Annual Equality Lecture | Swansea University | October 2014 | Cultural Democracy: A New Framework for Race Equality
- Generating Research Impact Through Engagement With the Communication Industries (Bournemouth University, 03 Feb 2017). Awarded
- Curriculum Diversification and Inclusive Teaching Practice Programme (BU Fair Access Funds, 31 Jan 2017). Awarded
- Cultural Democracy Framework for Race Equality UK Partnership Project (RKEO, 01 Apr 2015). Awarded
- Lifescience Global, Editorial Board Member (2017-), http://www.lifescienceglobal.com/journals/international-journal-of-crisis-journalism/editorial-board; International Journal of Crisis Journalism
- Ravensbourne University for the Creative Arts, Chair, Strategic Review of Equality and Inclusion (2016-)
- AHRC Common Cause Project: Enriching the Arts & Humanities Through Collaborations Between Universities and BAME Community Partners, Advisory Board Member (2016-)
- International Association for Media and Communication Research, Emerging Scholars Mentorship Scheme (Mentor) (2015-)
- Michigan State University Press, Member of the Advisory Editorial Board (2015-), http://msupress.org/books/; International Race and Education Book Series
- Black British Academics CIC, Founder & Chief Executive Officer (2013-), http://blackbritishacademics.co.uk/
- Member, TeachBU Assessment Panel
- Member, Social Sciences & Humanities Research Ethics Committee
- Curriculum Review and Development, Curriculum Review and Development. London College of Communication, Aisha Richards, 20 Nov 2015
- Focus Group Research on Race Equality Issues With BME Staff, Focus group research, analysis and reporting. Leeds Beckett University
- Curriculum Review and Development, Curriculum Review and Development. Ravensbourne University for the Creative Arts, Aisha Richards, 24 Oct 2014
- Doctoral Supervision, 16 Feb 2016, Certificate of Doctoral Supervision
- BU Impressions - Leading Service Improvement, 06 Mar 2015, Institute of Leadership Management Certificate
- Institute of Leadership Management Certificate in Leading Service Improvement (Institute of Leadership Management, 2015)
- PhD in Media and Cultural Studies (University of Salford, 2014)
- PGCE in Teaching in Higher Education (University of the Arts London, 2008)
- BA (Hons) in Journalism Studies (London Metropolitan University, 2007)
- James Thomas Memorial Prize (Media & Politics Group, Bournemouth University, 2013)
- BU Politics & Media Research Centre, Member (2014-), https://research.bournemouth.ac.uk/centre/politics-and-media-group/
- Centre for Excellence in Media Practice (CEMP), Associate (2017-), https://www.cemp.ac.uk/
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2016-),
- Political Studies Association, Media and Politics Group Member (2014-), http://www.psa.ac.uk/psa-communities/specialist-groups/media-and-politics
External Media and Press
- Critical consciousness: black female academics tell their stories, Times Higher Education, 03 Dec 2017. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/books/critical-consciousness-black-female-academics-tell-their-stories
- New kids on the blog: The black bloggers who are leading the online revolution, The Voice Newspaper, 14 Mar 2013. http://deborahgabriel.com/press/
- How Can The 'Angry Black Woman' Stereotype Be Challenged?, The Voice Newspaper, 28 Sep 2013. http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/how-can-angry-black-woman-stereotype-be-challenged?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
- I've been mistaken for the coffee lady': experiences of black female academics, Guardian Higher Education Network, 16 Nov 2017. https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2017/nov/16/black-female-academics-ive-been-mistaken-for-the-coffee-lady
- Do universities have a problem with promoting their BAME staff?, Guardian Higher Education Network, 16 Nov 2017. https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2017/nov/16/do-universities-have-a-problem-with-promoting-their-bame-staff
- Black and minority ethnic academics set their sights high at first diversity forum, Research Fortnight, 03 Sep 2014. http://www.researchresearch.com/news/article/?articleId=1346246
- SOAS students call for ‘white philosophers to be dropped from curriculum’, The Independent, 08 Jan 2017. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/soas-university-of-london-students-union-white-philosophers-curriculum-syllabus-a7515716.html
- What's it like to be a Black female academic?, The Early Hour, 12 Jan 2017. http://theearlyhour.com/2017/01/12/black-female-academic/
- Devon Daley, An Interview with BBC Radio Derby at the VIP launch of Inside the Ivory Tower: Narratives of Women of Colour Surviving and Thriving in British Academia, in central London.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05n7zpk
- Julian Clegg, On Thursday 13 October, BBC Radio Solent reporter Rebecca Romo visited Lecturer Dr Deborah Gabriel and Media Inequality students at the Talbot campus to record interviews for the Breakfast Show on how the unit can help bring positive changes to the advertising industry.. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2016-10-21/bu-students-staff-talk-about-media-inequality-bbc-solent
- Devon Daley, An interview with BBC Radio Derby about Black British Acaemics' Leaders Forum held at the University of Westminster in October 2014.. http://deborahgabriel.com/press/
- BBC Breakfast, A studio discussion on British Empire and the Honours system with historian Dickie Arbiter.. https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=U6sXyJivUa0