Dr Deborah Gabriel
- 01202 965275
- dgabriel at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Marketing Communications
- Weymouth House W432, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I teach on degree programmes in politics, public relations, advertising and marketing communications. A former print and online journalist, I previously lectured in journalism at London Metropolitan University, University of Salford and Birkbeck, University of London, before joining BU. In addition to my full-time academic role, I am the Founder and Director of Black British Academics, an independent network working to tackle racial inequalities in the higher education sector.
My research has three distinct strands. The first is focused around politics, media, culture and communication. I am interested in online political communication by marginalised groups; racialised and gendered political discourse, and raced and gendered constructions and representations in media and popular culture.
The second strand is concerned with the dynamics of race, ethnicity and culture in higher education. I aim to provide critical and nuanced understandings on racial inequalities in higher education as they impact both staff and students.
The third strand is focused on equality, diversity, inclusion and justice in higher education teaching and learning, especially around curriculum diversification and inclusive teaching practice.
I specialise in qualitative-interpretative research using critical, transformative and emancipatory paradigms including critical race theory and Black feminism. I employ a range of research methods including focus groups, interviews and case studies, critical ethnography, autoethnography, virtual ethnography and cyberethnography.
I am interested in supervising students on qualitative research projects related to my research interests as outlined above .
- Gabriel, D., 2017. Pedagogies of social justice and cultural democracy in media higher education. Media Education Research Journal.
- Gabriel, D., 2016. Blogging while Black, British and female: a critical study on discursive activism. INFORMATION COMMUNICATION & SOCIETY, 19 (11), 1622-1635.
- Gabriel, D., 2015. Challenging the Whiteness of Britishness: Co-creating British Social History in the Blogosphere. Online Journal of Media and Communication Technologies, 6 (4).
- Gabriel, D. and Hylton, K., 2018. Sense of Belonging: Race, Ethnicity and Culture in Higher Education. London: Trentham Books.
- Gabriel, D. and Tate, S.A., 2017. Inside the Ivory Tower: Narratives of Women of Colour Surviving and Thriving in British Academia. London: Trentham Books.
- Gabriel, D., 2007. Layers of Blackness: Colourism in the African Diaspora. London: Imani Media Ltd.
- Gabriel, D., 2017. Overcoming objectification and dehumanisation in academia. In: Gabriel, D. and Tate, S.A., eds. Inside the Ivory Tower: Narratives of Women of Colour Surviving and Thriving in British Academia. London: Trentham Books.
- Gabriel, D., 2017. Preface. In: Ransaw, T.S. and Majors, R., eds. Emerging Issues and Trends in Education. Michigan: MSU Press, 11-14.
- Gabriel, D., 2016. Race, Racism and Resistance in British Academia. In: Fereidooni,, K. and El, M., eds. A Critical Study of (Trans) National Racism: Interdependence of Racist Phenomenon and Resistance Forms. Wiesbaden: SpringerVS.
- Gabriel, D., 2015. Alternative Voices in Alternative Spaces: Counterhegemonic Discourse in the Blogosphere. In: Thorsen, E., Jackson, D., Savigny, H. and Alexander, J., eds. Media, Margins and Civic Agency. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Gabriel, D., 2017. Embedding Inclusion, Equality and Liberation in Media Higher Education. In: Global Conference on Education, Research and Policy 11 April 2017 Holiday Inn, College Park, Washington DC.
- Gabriel, D., 2016. Inside the Ivory Tower: Women’s Self-Empowerment and Leadership through the Black Sister Network. In: Third International Conference on Advances in Women's Studies 30-31 July 2016 Buffalo, New York State.
- Gabriel, D. and Richards, A., 2016. Social Justice Pedagogy & Cultural Democracy: Promoting Inclusion & Equality in Further & Higher Education. In: IAFOR International Conference on Education 8-11 January 2016 Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Gabriel, D., 2015. Challenging the whiteness of Britishness: co-creating British social history in the blogosphere. In: 4th International Conference on Communication, Media, Technology & Design 18-19 May 2015 Dubai. online: ICCMTD.
- Gabriel, D., 2014. Blogging While Black, British and Female: Identity, Representation and Social Impact in the Blogogsphere. In: Cyberspace 2014 28-29 November 2014 Brno, Czech Republic.
- Gabriel, D., 2013. Alternative Voices in Alternative Spaces: Counterhegemonic Discourse in the Blogosphere. In: Minority Voices: Media & Politics 13-14 November 2013 Bournemouth University.
- Gabriel, D., 2012. Finding alternative voices in the blogosphere using autobiographical ethnography and virtual ethnography in a study on African Caribbean Bloggers. In: Research Methods in Media Discourse 17 November 2012 De Montfort University.
- Gabriel, D., 2012. African Caribbean Bloggers in the UK: Alternative Voices on the Web. In: Crossroads in Cultural Studies 2-5 July 2012 Sorbonne University, Paris.
- Gabriel, D., 2017. The othering and objectification of Diane Abbott MP in the 2017 UK General Election. Centre for the Study of Journalism, Culture & Community.
- Gabriel, D., 2016. Belonging, racism and white backlash in the 2016 US Presidential Election. Centre for the Study of Journalism Culture and Community.
- Kimberley McFarland (Exploring how educators can use experiential e-learning to teach entrepreneurial and business literacy to high school students)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Political Psychology L7
Profile of Teaching UG
- Media Inequality L6 (Unit Leader)
- Experiencing Politics L4 (Unit Leader)
- Dissertation Supervisor L6
- Social Communication L6 (Unit Leader)
- Annual Equality Lecture | Swansea University | October 2014 | Cultural Democracy: A New Framework for Race Equality
- Generating Research Impact Through Engagement With the Communication Industries (Bournemouth University, 03 Feb 2017). Awarded
- Curriculum Diversification and Inclusive Teaching Practice Programme (BU Fair Access Funds, 31 Jan 2017). Awarded
- Cultural Democracy Framework for Race Equality UK Partnership Project (RKEO, 01 Apr 2015). Awarded
- Lifescience Global, Editorial Board Member (2017-), http://www.lifescienceglobal.com/journals/international-journal-of-crisis-journalism/editorial-board; International Journal of Crisis Journalism
- Ravensbourne University for the Creative Arts, Chair, Strategic Review of Equality and Inclusion (2016-)
- AHRC Common Cause Project: Enriching the Arts & Humanities Through Collaborations Between Universities and BAME Community Partners, Advisory Board Member (2016-)
- International Association for Media and Communication Research, Emerging Scholars Mentorship Scheme (Mentor) (2015-)
- Michigan State University Press, Member of the Advisory Editorial Board (2015-), http://msupress.org/books/; International Race and Education Book Series
- Black British Academics CIC, Founder & Chief Executive Officer (2013-), http://blackbritishacademics.co.uk/
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Public Engagement Ambassador for the National Coordinating Centre for Public Engagement
- Institute of Leadership Management Certificate in Leading Service Improvement (Institute of Leadership Management, 2015)
- PhD in Media and Cultural Studies (University of Salford, 2014)
- PGCE in Teaching in Higher Education (University of the Arts London, 2008)
- BA (Hons) in Journalism Studies (London Metropolitan University, 2007)
- James Thomas Memorial Prize (Media & Politics Group, Bournemouth University, 2013)
- BU Politics & Media Research Centre, Member (2014-), https://research.bournemouth.ac.uk/centre/politics-and-media-group/
- Centre for Excellence in Media Practice (CEMP), Associate (2017-), https://www.cemp.ac.uk/
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2016-),
- Political Studies Association, Media and Politics Group Member (2014-), http://www.psa.ac.uk/psa-communities/specialist-groups/media-and-politics