Dr Elena Cantarello
- 01202 966783
- ecantarello at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Christchurch House C217a, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am a lecturer in sustainability science with ten years experience in conducting research in forest landscapes. I have knowledge and experience in GIS and spatially explicit modelling tools (Landis-II), which I regularly employ in my research to explore vegetation dynamics and changes in ecosystem services in response to human impacts. My particular interest is to contribute to solutions to environmental problems and to provide tools that inform environmental practice and policy implementation.
I have worked in local, regional and international projects, collaborating with several academic institutions, government bodies and commercial partners in the UK, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Kyrgyzstan and Italy. I have also undertaken regular and extensive fieldwork campaigns, particularly in the New Forest National Park. Since 2011 I have been involved in the development of the materials for the MSc in Green Economy and I am now the unit leader of the units in carbon management and climate change, and green technologies and renewables...
I have completed my PhD in Forest Ecology in 2007, combining GIS, Earth Observation and field-based approaches to assess the conservation status of forested habitats in Natura 2000 sites (Foresta del Cansiglio in Italy and New Forest in the UK). Under the EU-funded ReForLan project, I have explored the potential for ecological restoration of dryland forests in Mexico under different disturbance regimes. Under the EU-funded TESS project, I have used the ecosystem services approach to examine the effectiveness of ecological networks within the river Frome catchment area, Dorset. Under further projects I have examined the potential impacts of different land use scenarios on carbon storage in SW England, and the human impacts on forest biodiversity in protected areas in Kyrgyzstan.more
I am also leading on the modelling component of the 'Mapping the Forests of Medieval Novgorod' research project, led by Prof. Mark Brisbane.
Currently working under the NERC-BESS project 'Dynamics and Thresholds of Ecosystem Services in Wooded Landscapes' https://microsites.bournemouth.ac.uk/new-forest-bess/
I am particularly focusing on modelling how the New Forest resilience is likely to change in the future, accounting for factors such as climate change, spreads of diseases and grazing animals.
- Cantarello, E., Newton, A.C., Martin, P.A., Evans, P.M., Gosal, A. and Lucash, M.S., 2017. Quantifying resilience of multiple ecosystem services and biodiversity in a temperate forest landscape. Ecology and Evolution, 7 (22), 9661-9675.
- Evans, P.M., Newton, A.C., Cantarello, E., Martin, P., Sanderson, N., Jones, D.L., Barsoum, N., Cottrell, J.E., A'Hara, S.W. and Fuller, L., 2017. Thresholds of biodiversity and ecosystem function in a forest ecosystem undergoing dieback. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS, 7.
- Martin, P.A., Newton, A.C., Cantarello, E. and Evans, P., 2015. Stand dieback and collapse in a temperate forest and its impact on forest structure and biodiversity. FOREST ECOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT, 358, 130-138.
- Newton, A.C. and Cantarello, E., 2015. Restoration of forest resilience: An achievable goal? NEW FORESTS, 46 (5-6), 645-668.
- Newton, A., Oldfield, S., Rivers, M., Mark, J., Schatz, G., Garavito, N.T., Cantarello, E., Golicher, D., Cayuela, L. and Miles, L., 2015. Towards a Global Tree Assessment. ORYX, 49 (3), 410-415.
- Orozumbekov, A., Cantarello, E. and Newton, A.C., 2015. Status, distribution and use of threatened tree species in the walnut-fruit forests of Kyrgyzstan. Forests Trees and Livelihoods, 24 (1), 1-17.
- Hodder, K., Newton, A.C., Cantarello, E. and Perrella, L., 2014. Does landscape-scale conservation management enhance the provision of ecosystem services? International Journal Of Biodiversity Science, Ecosystem Services and Management, 10 (1), 71-83.
- Cantarello, E., Lovegrove, A., Orozumbekov, A., Birch, J., Brouwers, N. and Newton, A.C., 2014. Human Impacts on Forest Biodiversity in Protected Walnut-Fruit Forests in Kyrgyzstan. Journal of Sustainable Forestry, 33 (5), 454-481.
- Newton, A.C., Cantarello, E., Shiel, C. and Hodder, K., 2014. Lessons Learned from Developing a New Distance-Learning Masters Course in the Green Economy. Sustainability.
- Newton, A.C., Cantarello, E., Tejedor, N. and Myers, G., 2013. Dynamics and Conservation Management of a Wooded Landscape under High Herbivore Pressure. International Journal of Biodiversity, 2013.
- Newton, A.C., Hodder, K., Cantarello, E., Perrella, L., Birch, J.C., Robins, J., Douglas, S., Moody, C. and Cordingley, J., 2012. Cost-benefit analysis of ecological networks assessed through spatial analysis of ecosystem services. Journal of Applied Ecology, 49 (3), 571-580.
- Newton, A.C., Echeverría, C., Cantarello, E. and Bolados, G., 2011. Projecting impacts of human disturbances to inform conservation planning and management in a dryland forest landscape. Biological Conservation, 144 (7), 1949-1960.
- Pautasso, M., Cantarello, E. et al., 2011. Global macroecology of bird assemblages in urbanized and semi-natural ecosystems. Global Ecology and Biogeography, 20, 426-436.
- Cantarello, E., Newton, A., Hill, R.A., Tejedor, N., Williams-Linera, G., Lopez-Barrera, F., Manson, R.H. and Golicher, D., 2011. Simulating the potential for ecological restoration of dryland forests in Mexico under different disturbance regimes. Ecological Modelling, 222, 1112-1128.
- Cantarello, E., Newton, A. and Hill, R.A., 2011. Potential effects of future land-use change on regional carbon stocks in the UK. Environmental Science & Policy, 14, 40-52.
- Birch, J., Newton, A., Aquino, C.A., Cantarello, E., Echeverria, C., Kitzberger, T., Schiappacasse, I. and Tejedor, N., 2010. Cost-effectiveness of dryland forest restoration evaluated by spatial analysis of ecosystem services. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 107, 21925-21930.
- Cantarello, E., Steck, C., Fontana, P., Fontaneto, D., Marini, L. and Pautasso, M., 2010. A multi-scale study of Orthoptera species richness and human population size controlling for sampling effort. Naturwissenschaften, 97, 265-271.
- Cantarello, E. and Newton, A., 2008. Identifying cost-effective indicators to assess the conservation status of forested habitats in Natura 2000 sites. Forest Ecology and Management, 256, 815-826.
- Cantarello, E. and Newton, A., 2006. Towards Cost-Effective Indicators to Maintain Natura 2000 Sites in Favourable Conservation Status. Preliminary Results from Cansiglio and New Forest. Forest@, 3, 574-583.
- Newton, A.C. and Cantarello, E., 2014. An Introduction to the Green Economy. Science, Systems and Sustainability. Routledge.
- Newton, A.C., Cantarello, E., Lovegrove, A., Appiah, D. and Perella, L., 2013. The influence of grazing animals on tree regeneration and woodland dynamics in the New Forest, England. Trees, Forested Landscapes and Grazing Animals: A European Perspective on Woodlands and Grazed Treescapes. Taylor and Francis.
- Newton, A., Cantarello, E., Myers, G., Douglas, S.J. and Tejedor, N., 2010. The condition and dynamics of New Forest woodlands. Biodiversity in the New Forest. Newbury, Berkshire: Pisces Publications, 132-147.
- Newton, A., Newton, A., Cantarello, E., Golicher, D., Hill, R.A. et al., 2010. Landscape-scale dynamics and restoration of dryland forest ecosystems. In: Newton, A. and Tejedor, N., eds. Principles and practice of forest landscape restoration: case studies from the drylands of Latin America. Gland, Switzerland: International Union for Conservation of Nature, 229-272.
- Cantarello, E., Rachel, G. and Diana, W., 2010. The condition of The New Forest habitats: an overview. In: Newton, A., ed. Biodiversity in the New Forest. Newbury: Pisces Publishing, 124-131.
- Newton, A., Cantarello, E., Evans, P., Gosal and Martin, P.A., 2016. Measurement of resilience in a temperate forest ecosystem. In: BES Annual Meeting 11-14 December 2016 ACC, Liverpool.
- Cantarello, E., 2016. Resilience of New Forest woodlands to disturbance. In: Ecology and management of the New Forest in an era of climate change 25 October 2016 Lyndhurst Community Centre.
- Cantarello, E., Newton, A.C., Martin, P. and Evans, P., 2015. Temperate forest resilience in an era of emerging multiple disturbances. In: BES Annual Meeting 13-16 December 2015 EICC, Edinburgh.
- Newton, A., Cantarello, E., Evans, P., Martin, P. and Gosal, A., 2015. Managing landscape resilience: the example of the New Forest. Wild Thing? In: Managing Landscape Change and Future Ecologies 9-11 September 2015 Sheffield Hallam University.
- Cantarello, E., 2013. Forest resilience under different disturbance regimes in tropical and temperate forests. In: Intecol 2013 18-23 August 2014 London (UK).
- Ginige, T.A., 2007. Is Sustainable Development an Effective Environmental Law Principle? A Case Study of Forest Management in Two Natura 2000 Sites. In: Nordic Environmental Law Network: Sustainable Development in National and International Law What did the Brundtland Report do to Legal Thinking and Legal Development, and where can we go from here? 2-5 May 2007 Vettre Hotel nr.Oslo, Norway.
- Cantarello, E. and Newton, A., 2012. Darwin Initiative – Final Report. Conserving Eden: participatory forest management in the Tien Shan region. Bournemouth University.
- Hodder, K., Douglas, S., Newton, Bullock, J.M., Scholefield, P., Vaughan, R. and Cantarello, E., 2010. Analysis of the costs and benefits of alternative solutions for restoring biodiversity. Final report, Defra project WC0758/CR0444. Bournemouth University.
- Cantarello, E., Tejedor-Garavito, N. and Newton, A., 2009. Restoration of forest landscapes for biodiversity conservation and rural development in the drylands of Latin America. D25 - software program incorporating model of forest dynamics parameterised and validated for study areas.. Bournemouth University.
- Bournemouth Research Chronicle, 2016. Living with environmental change: investigating our native woodlands. Bournemouth University. Available from: https://research.bournemouth.ac.uk/2016/03/living-with-environmental-change-investigating-our-native-woodlands/.
- Cantarello, E., Newton, A., Martin, P., Evans, P. and Gosal, A., 2015. Featured Research New Forest National Park (UK): Browsing, Fire, Harvesting and Ecosystem Dynamics. LANDIS-II Newsletter, Portland State University (USA).
- Evans, P., Cantarello, E. and Martin, P., 2015. Dynamics of ecosystem services in forest ecosystems. In: BES Annual Meeting.
- Martin, P., Newton, A., Cantarello, E., Evans, P. and Mountford, E., 2015. Die-off of large trees drives forest Collapse to non-forest state. In: International Congress on Conservation Biology.
- Cantarello, E., Newton, A., Evans, P. and Gosal, A., 2014. Dynamics and thresholds of ecosystem services in wooded landscapes. In: New Forest Wildlife Forum.
- Jeff Boakye. The relationship between SMEs environmental and financial performance
- Gabriel Ahinful. The Relationship between Environmental Management and Financial Performance of Ghanaian SMEs
- Jennifer Mark. Evaluating extinction risk of the world's timber tree species
- Paul Evans. Dynamics of ecosystem services in forest ecosystems
Profile of Teaching PG
- Green Technologies and Renewables (MSc Green Economy)
- Carbon management (MSc Green Economy)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Globalisation and Sustainable Development
- Up scaling microclimate to macro-ecological importance for global conservation (Leverhulme Trust, 27 Feb 2017). In Progress
- New Forest black bog ant survey HLS 2016 (Forestry Commission, 02 May 2016). Awarded
- Dynamics and thresholds of ecosystem services in wooded landscapes (NERC-BESS, 02 Sep 2013). Completed
- Leader, Green Impact Life and Environemental Sciences (GreenLES+)
- BSc (Hons) in Environmental and forestry sciences (University of Padova (Italy), 2001)
- MSc in Environmental and forestry sciences (University of Padova (Italy), 2003)
- PhD in Forest Ecology (University of Padova (Italy), 2007)
- Bronze award for leading Green Impact activities within the Department of Life and Environmental Sciences (National Union of Students (NUS), 2016)
- British Ecological Society, Member,