Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Lia has been teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in higher education, following a career in management in the Greek hospitality industry. She has served as head of department and dean at various academic institutions in Greece, Switzerland, Bahrain and the UK. Her research interests focus on women in hospitality management, leadership as well as teaching and learning methodologies in HE. On these research areas she has published a book, book chapters, journal articles and has presented at international conferences. She has also worked on European funded projects as project leader with focus on vocational training in hospitality and tourism. Moreover, she has trained a number of professionals in the industry in Lifelong Learning programmes. Finally, she is a reviewer in reputable academic journals such as the International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management (IJCHM).
Retaining global talent in the service industry
- Giousmpasoglou, C., Marinakou, E.M. and Cooper, J.C., 2017. Occupational identity and culture: the case of Michelin-starred chefs. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 29 (5).
- Marinakou, E.M., Giousmpasoglou, C. and Koniordos, S.K., 2017. An exploratory factor analysis of the impact of Brain Drain in the Greek higher education. Higher Education.
- Giousmpasoglou, C., Marinakou, E.M. and Cooper, J.C., 2017. ‘Banter, Bollockings & Beatings’: The occupational socialisation process in Michelin starred kitchen brigades in Great Britain and Ireland. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.
- Marinakou, E. and Giousmpasoglou, C., 2015. Stakeholders’ Views on the Development of a Higher Education Hospitality Program in Bahrain: Challenges and Opportunities. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education, 27 (2), 85-92.
- Marinakou, E., 2014. The glass ceiling and women in management in the Middle East: Myth or reality. Journal of American Business Review, 3 (1), 294-301.
- Marinakou, E., 2014. Women in Hotel Management and Leadership: Diamond or Glass. Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Management, 2 (1), 18-25.
- Marinakou, E., 2014. An investigation of factors that contribute to student satisfaction from online courses: the example of an online accounting course. US – China Education Review, 4 (8), 536-547.
- Marinakou, E. and Giousmpasoglou, C., 2013. An investigation of student satisfaction from hospitality internship programs in Greece. Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Management, 1 (3), 103-112.
- Giousmpasoglou, C. and marinakou, E.M., 2013. The future is here: M-Learning in Higher Education. Computer Technology and Application, 4 (6), 317-322.
- Marinakou, E., 2016. International Managers and Culture in a globalised world. Handbook of Research on Human Resources Strategies for the New Millennial Workforce. IGI Global.
- Marinakou, E., 2016. Gendered leadership as a key to business success: evidence from the Middle East. Handbook of Research on Human Resources Strategies for the New Millennial Workforce. IGI Global.
- Marinakou, E., 2016. Online education in the Middle East. The Encyclopedia of Online Education.. SAGE.
- Marinakou, E., 2016. Academic Advising. The Encyclopedia of Online Education. SAGE.
- Marinakou, E. and Giousmpasoglou, C., 2015. Economic Crisis and Higher Education in Greece. Impact of economic crisis on education and the next-generation workforce.. IGI Global.
- Marinakou, E., Giousmpasoglou, C. and Paliktzoglou, V., 2014. The Impact of Social Media on Cultural Tourism. The Impact of Social Media in Personal and Professional Settings. IGI Global.
- Marinakou, E. and Giousmpasoglou, C., 2017. Student satisfaction and expectations from internships in Greece: A comparison between Greek and International students. In: Council for Hospitality Management Education CHME 2017 16-20 May 2017 Aalborg, Denmark.
- Marinakou, E., Giousmpasoglou, C. and Cooper, J., 2016. Chefs’ future competencies needs in the UK: the stakeholders’ perspectives. In: EuroCHRIE 2016: What’s Going Well In Hospitality, Tourism And Events? 26-28 October 2016 Budapest Metropolitan University, Budapest, Hungary.
- Giousmpasoglou, C. and Marinakou, E.M., 2016. Using Tripadvisor© for exploring cultural tourism development in Bahrain. In: Andriotis, K.A., ed. the International Conference on Tourism (ICOT 2016) - New challenges and boundaries in tourism: policies, innovations and strategies 29 June-2 July 2016 Naples.
- Marinakou, E. and Nikolic, B., 2016. Dimensions of authentic leadership in the Middle Eastern context: Are these leaders really authentic? In: 2nd Asia Pacific Conference on Advanced Research 27-28 February 2016 Melbourne, Australia. Asia Pacific Institute of Advanced Research (APIAR), 134-143.
- Giousmpasoglou, C., Marinakou, E.M. and Paliktzoglou, V.P., 2016. The Brain Drain Phenomenon in Higher Education in Greece: Attitudes and Opinions on the Decision to Immigrate. In: Papanikos, G.P., ed. the 3rd Annual International Conference on Humanities & Arts in a Global World 3-6 January 2016 Athens, Greece.
- Marinakou, E., 2014. The glass ceiling and women in management in the Middle East: Myth or reality. In: Finance, Economics, MIS and Global Business Research Conference 11-12 December 2014 Miami, Florida.
- Giousmpasoglou, C. and Marinakou, E.M., 2014. Higher education hospitality programmes in Bahrain: Challenges and Opportunities. In: The 32nd EuroCHRIE Conference 6-9 October 2014 Dubai, UAE.
- Giousmpasoglou, C. and Marinakou, E.M., 2014. M-learning in Higher Education in Bahrain: the educators’ view. In: The 6th e-Learning Excellence in the Middle East Conference – Leadership, Design and Technology for the 21st Century Learning 3-5 March 2014 Dubai, UAE.
- Marinakou, E.M. and Giousmpasoglou, C., 2013. An investigation of student satisfaction from hospitality internship programs in Greece. In: Andriotis, K.A., ed. The International Conference on Tourism (ICOT 2013) - Trends, Impacts and Policies on Sustainable Tourism Development 5-8 June 2013 Limassol, Cyprus.
- Marinakou, E., 2012. Comparison of students’ evaluation of online courses versus face-to-face format. In: Workshop on Electronic Training and Opportunities for Performance Improvement. 9 October 2012 Bahrain.
- Marinakou, E., 2012. Using problem-based learning to teach tourism management students. In: Athens Tourism Symposium, International Scientific Congress on Current Trends in Tourism Management and Tourism Policy 15-16 February 2012 Athens.
- Marinakou, E., 2011. For or against the smoking ban in restaurants? In: International Conference of Tourism 2011 27-30 April 2011 Rhodes, Greece.
- Marinakou, E., 2011. Women in hotel management. Diamond or glass? In: International Conference of Tourism 27-30 April 2011 Rhodes, Greece.
- Marinakou, E., 2011. The glass ceiling in hospitality organisations. In: THE 2011 ATHENS TOURISM SYMPOSIUM, 2-3 February 2011 Athens, Greece.
- Marinakou, E., 2010. The use of IT in tourism in view to the “Europe 2020” programme. In: The Periferal Dimension of the “Europe 2020” programme 15 October 2010 Athens, Greece.
- Marinakou, E., 2010. The learning styles of tourism management students. In: 2nd International Conference on Tourism and Hospitality Management 22-23 May 2010 Athens, Greece. Athens, Greece: Tourism Research Institute.
- Marinakou, E., 2009. Transformational leadership in hospitality. In: 6th Scientific Conference of the Tourism Research Institute 6-7 March 2009 Athens, Greece.
- Marinakou, E., 2008. Female leadership style. Myth or reality. In: 1st Scientific Conference for Education, Development and Production in Tourism 17-18 April 2008 Amfissa, Greece.
Profile of Teaching PG
- I have taught a variety of modules at postgraduate level and at different programmes, such as Issues in Hospitality and Tourism Management, Issues in Hotel and Food Services Management, Contemporary Hospitality and Tourism Marketing, Managing Self and Others, Entrepreneurship, Research Methods, Health Care Services Marketing. She has also supervised a large number of dissertations, some of which were published and presented as papers at conferences with students.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Lia has taught a variety of modules at undergraduate level such as Hospitality Principles, Hospitality Resources and Revenue Management, Investigating Hospitality, Tourism Planning and Development, Conference organisation, Hospitality and Tourism Marketing, Hospitality Operations Management, Managing People in Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure Management, Food and Beverage Management, Research methods, Tourism Data Analysis in Practice, Geography of Tourism, Hospitality Organisational Behaviour, Hospitality Consumer, Conference and Exhibition Management, Tourism Industry and Enterprise, Aspects of Law in the Tourism Industry, Employability and Entrepreneurship, Tourism Geography Field Research, Festivals and Event Management, Tourism Geography Field Research, Business Strategy, Managing Change and Challenge in Tourism
- 5 case studies of ILOs in vocational education in tourism (CEDEFOP, 31 May 2012). Awarded
- Development of electronic educational programmes and business plan for the islands in the periphery of Cyclades (ETAP, Chamber of Cyclades, 04 Jul 2008). Awarded
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- External Examiner, BPP, BSc (Hons) International Hospitality Management [Top-Up], BSc (Hons) International Hospitality Management [Top-Up] [Online]
- External examiner for Validation of BA Culinary Arts management, Queen Margaret University
- • Plymouth University, External Examiner for the BA (Hons) International Hospitality and Tourism Management
- External examiner for Manchester Metropolitan University, MBA International Hospitality Management (
- BSc in Hotel and Catering Management (ASTER, Rhodes, Greece, 1993)
- MSc in International Hospitality Management (University of Strathclyde, 1996)
- Pg Dip in in Research Methods (University of Strathclyde, 2006)
- PGCE in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (University of Hertfordshire, 2009)
- BA (Hons) in Tourism Management (ATEI Athens, 2010)
- PhD in HRM and Hospitality (University of Strathclyde, 2012)
- Research activity (Royal University for Women, 2014)
- Higher Education Academcy, Senior Fellow (2016-),