Dr Hanaa Osman
- 01202 961502
- hosman at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer (Academic)
- Dorset House D104, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
My research interests are in the areas of culture and the experiences of ethnic migrant workers the UK hospitality industry. I am also interested in autoethnography which is the study and reflection on self which may impact on a wider society and culture. I am currently working on research into Muslim women experiences in the UK hospitality industry using Auto autoethnography to reflect on my own experience. I teach consumer experience and behaviour to level I students in hospitality management and supervise a number of M Sc dissertation that also relate to my research interests.
Muslim Females in Hospitality
Commercial Hospitality and Tourists' experiences
Emotional Intelligence in Hospitality
Gender and Tourism
- Brown, L. and Osman, H., 2017. The female tourist experience in Egypt as an Islamic destination. ANNALS OF TOURISM RESEARCH, 63, 12-22.
- Osman, H., Johns, N. and Lugosi, P., 2014. Commercial hospitality in destination experiences: McDonald's and tourists' consumption of space. Tourism Management, 42, 238-247.
- Osman, H. and Johns, N., 2011. Travellers and McDonald's abroad. Hospitality Review, 13.
- Osman, H. and Brown, L., 2010. A personal narrative of a Muslim woman’s journey in the hospitality industry. Hospitality Review, 13-17.
- Osman, H. and Brown, L., 2010. A personal narrative of a Muslim woman’s journey in the hospitality industry. Hospitality Review.
- Osman, H., Hemmington, N. and Bowie, D., 2009. A transactional approach to customer loyalty in the hotel industry. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 21, 239-250.
- Osman, H. and Brown, L., 2016. Western female tourists in Islamic destinations. In: ATLAS 7-9 September 2016 Canterbury.
- Nguyen, Q., Ladkin, A. and Osman, H., 2016. Emotional Intelligence and hotel employees in Vietnam. In: Council for Hospitality Management Education Conference 4-6 May 2016 Ulster University.
- Fung, C., Ladkin, A. and Osman, H., 2015. An Exploratory Study on the Antecedents of Occupational Commitment among Hospitality Educators in Hong Kong. In: CHME 20-22 May 2015 Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Osman, H., Osman, H., Johns, N. and Lugosi, P., 2014. ‘Fast food restaurants and tourism destination experiences’. In: CHME National Research Conference 20-23 May 2014 University of Derby, Buxton, England, May 2014.
- Osman, H., 2011. The International PhD student journey. In: Council for Hospitality Management Education 20th Annual Research Conference 2011 May 2011 Leeds Metropolitan University, Leeds, England. Leeds: Council for Hospitality Management Education.
- Osman, H. and Johns, N., 2010. The Role of the Global Fast Food Chains in Tourism: A Qualitative Internet-Based Study. In: 8th Biennial International Qualitative Research Conference 6-8 September 2010 Bournemouth University, England. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Osman, H. and Brown, L., 2010. A muslim's woman journey in the UK hospitality industry. In: CHME National Research Conference 5-7 May 2010 University of Surrey, Horsley Towers, Surrey, England. Hospitality Review.
- Johns, N. and Osman, H., 2009. Am I lovin’ it? Tourists and the McDonald’s experience abroad. In: 3rd Advances in Tourism Marketing Conference 6-9 September 2009 Bournemouth University, England. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Osman, H., 1999. A Segmentation Approach to Relationship Marketing in International Hotel Groups. In: CHME Hospitality Research Conference April 1999 School of Management, University of Surrey. Guildford, Surrey, England: University of Surrey, 519-525.
- Osman, H., Hemmington, N. and Bowie, D., 1998. The role of market segmentation in relationship marketing in international hotel groups. In: EuroCHRIE/IAHMS Conferenc : Competitiveness in the International Hospitality Industry. 1998 Lausanne, Switzerland.
- NGUYEN THI THAO QUYNH (Understanding Emotional Intelligence (EI) among hotel employees during interactions with co-workers and customers in Vietnam)
- Clare Fung (Investigating the occupational commitment of hospitality educators in Hong Kong)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Masters dissertation supervision in a number of areas including ethnic restaurants, street food, emotional labour, and and employee motivation.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Food, Culture and Travel- Level 6 option unit.
- Consumer Experience and Behaviour, Level 5 BAIHM
- Global Hospitality- Level 4 BAIHM
- CPD income (Hall and Woodhouse Group, 14 Apr 2014). Completed
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Poster showcasing conducting research with students as part of the delivery of Consumer Experience and Behaviour unit for level 5 BAIHM
- A poster display on Saturday the 25th to celebrate students’ success stories while studying and/or working abroad.
- PhD in Relationship Marketing in Hotels (Oxford Brookes University, 2001)
- HEA, Fellow (2014-),
- Institute of Hospitality, Member,
- The American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute (CHE), Member,
- The council for Hospitality Management Education, Member (2008-),