Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am a senior lecturer in Physiotherapy at Bournemouth University. My area of interest is education and I have conducted studies in undergraduate learning and client education, particularly readability of health education literature.
I graduated from Kings College Hospital, London and worked there for two years before moving to Canada. There I worked in Barrie, Ontario and Toronto followed by 18 years at McMaster University Health Science Centre, Hamilton specialising in the management of Rheumatological conditions. I undertook an MSc at McMaster University researching the Effectiveness of a Patient Education Programme for Clients with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RCT) and subsequently joined the academic staff in the Undergraduate BSc programme. My interest then and afterwards has been in the education of Physiotherapists and Health Professionals.
I was a founder member of the BSc (Hons) and later the accelerated MSc programmes, for Physiotherapy in Southampton. From 2007-2010 I joined the University of Brighton running a 2 year on-line Graduate Certificate in Rheumatology for nurses and health professionals wanting to become clinical specialists in the field... I joined the BSc (Hons) programme at Bournemouth University in 2010 and completed my doctoral study into the educative process of Bildung. I have been Programme Leader for the BSc for three years.more
- Chapman, J., 2014. Auto/Biographical Work as Bildung. Auto/Biographical Yearbook 2013, 114-130.
- Paterson, C. and Chapman, J., 2013. Enhancing skills of critical reflection to evidence learning in professional practice. Physical Therapy in Sport, 14 (3), 133-138.
- Adams, J., Chapman, J., Bradley, S. and Ryan, S.J., 2013. Literacy levels required to complete routinely used patient-reported outcome measures in rheumatology. Rheumatology (Oxford), 52 (3), 460-464.
- Watson, J., Chapman, J., Adams, J. and Nila, U.H., 2006. Occupational therapy students' approaches to learning: Considering the impact of culture. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 69 (12), 548-555.
- Chapman, J., Watson, J. and Adams, J., 2006. Exploring changes in occupational therapy student's approaches to learning during pre-registration education. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 69 (10), 457-463.
- Roberts, L., Chapman, J. and Sheldon, F., 2002. Perceptions of control in people with acute low back pain. Physiotherapy, 88 (9), 543-552.
- Roberts, L., Little, P., Chapman, J., Cantrell, T., Pickering, R. and Langridge, J., 2002. The back home trial: general practitioner-supported leaflets may change back pain behavior. Spine (Phila Pa 1976), 27 (17), 1821-1828.
- Little, P., Roberts, L., Blowers, H., Garwood, J., Cantrell, T., Langridge, J. and Chapman, J., 2001. Should we give detailed advice and information booklets to patients with back pain? A randomized controlled factorial trial of a self-management booklet and doctor advice to take exercise for back pain. Spine (Phila Pa 1976), 26 (19), 2065-2072.
- Seale, J.K., Chapman, J. and Davey, C., 2000. The influence of assessments on students' motivation to learn in a therapy degree course. Med Educ, 34 (8), 614-621.
- Little, P., Cantrell, T., Roberts, L., Chapman, J., Langridge, J. and Pickering, R., 1998. Why do GPs perform investigations?: The medical and social agendas in arranging back X-rays. Fam Pract, 15 (3), 264-265.
- Chapman, J.A. and Langridge, J., 1997. Physiotherapy health education literature. Physiotherapy, 83 (8), 406-412.
- Chapman, J.A., Smith, L., Little, P., Cantrell, E., Langridge, J. and Pickering, R., 1997. The 'back home' leaflet: Developing a self-management leaflet for people with acute low back pain. Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation, 9 (1), 61-63.
- Little, P., Smith, L., Cantrell, T., Chapman, J., Langridge, J. and Pickering, R., 1996. General practitioners' management of acute back pain: a survey of reported practice compared with clinical guidelines. BMJ, 312 (7029), 485-488.
- Bramley, A. and Chapman, J., 2008. It didn't seem to be like that when I was there: ethical dilemmas of representing lives. Auto/Biography Yearbook 2007. Southampton, England: Clio Publishing, 131-152.
- Chapman, J.A. and Ellis-Hill, C., 2015. Narrative of knee surgery: Exploring my experience to contribute to the education of physiotherapy students. In: XXXIII BSA International Summer Auto/biographical Conference 16-18 July 2015 Dartington Hall, Devon.
- Chapman, J.A. and Williams, J.W., 2015. Critical reflective practice and continuing professional development: Box ticking or deep learning? In: 17th International WCPT Congress, World Physical Therapy 1-4 May 2015 Singapore.
- Chapman, J., 2014. “‘Fedora’ – A boat trip from Singapore, diarised in 1899”. In: XXXIII BSA Auto/Biography Summer Conference 2014 11-13 July 2014 Wolfson College, Oxford.
- Adams, J.E., Chapman, J.A., Primdahl, J. and Hansen, K., 2010. Review of challenges and limits to written health information and some of the benefits. Conducting a needs analysis of health education literature. In: European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) Conference 2010. 16-19 June 2010 Rome, Italy..
- Joanna Thurston ('My bones won't break me'. an autophenomenography of pre-menopausal osteoporosis)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Skills for Therapy Practice
- Physiotherapy Portfolio 3 Unit
- Physiotherapy Portfolio Unit Orientation
- Integrating Practice for Client Centred Management (054328)
- MRes/PhD HE 787 MSc Podiatry - School of Health Sciences, University of Brighton
- The use of the CSP’s e-portfolio, Pebble Pad, within the curriculum to enhance the employability of graduates. (Fusion Investment Fund. Centre for Excellence in Learning (CEL). Bournemouth University, 28 May 2014). In Progress
- “Promoting dignity through understanding narratives of care” (ESRC, 02 Nov 2013). Completed
- The power of narrative and stories in enabling learning for professional practice (Higher Education Academy, 16 Apr 2013). Completed
- Physiotherapy in Physiotherapy (CSP, 1970)
- MSc in Health Sciences (McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario - Canada, 1984)
- Doctorate in Educati in Education - Auto/Biographical Research Methodology (University of Southampton, 2010)
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), Member,
- The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy, Member (1970-), http://www.csp.org.uk/
- The Higher Education Academy (FHEA), Fellow,