Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Associate Professor, Faculty of Health and Social Sciences, Bournemouth University.
I am an experienced nurse academic with a particular interest in older people’s health. I have worked in health care education for a number of years in various roles including Director of Studies for Pre-Registration Nursing and Head of Learning and Teaching for the School.
My research interests concern inequalities in health care particularly for older people as well as for people from Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) backgrounds. I have led funded service evaluations concerned with end of life care (Frances and Augustus Newman Foundation) and chronic respiratory disease (Wessex Academic Health Science Network). My doctoral studies explored racialised constructions of difference in practice supervisor and student encounters in a nurse education. I have published and presented conference papers as well taking the curricular lead in this area, using a humanising philosophy to underpin our undergraduate nursing curriculum... I have presented at conferences in Sweden and the UK this year and am engaged in two research projects aimed at evaluating this approach.
My teaching reflects my research interests; I lead and teach humanising care issues at under and post-graduate levels. I have considerable experience of leading curriculum development and have been commended by external reviewers for innovative service user involvement and collaborative working with health care providers
My engagement with professional practice is at a local and national level. I was an appointed Governor to the Yeovil NHS Foundation Trust. I work at a strategic level with NHS and other local health care providers concerning nurse education issues. Nationally I am an independent member of the Mary Seacole Award Steering Group. I am also vice-president of the international Nursing Scholarship Society (STTI England).more
- Fry, J., Scammell, J. and Barker, S., 2017. Muddying the waters or swimming downstream?: A critical analysis of literature reviewing in a phenomenological study through an exploration of the lifeworld, reflexivity and the role of the researcher. Indo-Pacific journal of phenomenology.
- Scammell, J., 2017. Older people and health care: challenging assumptions. Br J Nurs, 26 (3), 177.
- Rosser, E.A., Scammell, J., Bevan, A. and Hundley, V.A., 2017. Strong leadership: The case for global connections. Journal of Clinical Nursing.
- Scammell, J., 2016. Reflections on nurse education: Past, present and future. British Journal of Nursing, 25 (21), 1213.
- Scammell, J., van Teijlingen, E., Tait, D., Spriggs, A., Hind, M. and Belchamber, C., 2016. Evaluation of a multidisciplinary adult integrated respiratory service in the UK. European Journal for Person Centered Healthcare.
- Way, S. and Scammell, J., 2016. Humanising midwifery care. Practising Midwife, 19 (3), 27-29.
- Scammell, J., Heaslip, V. and Crowley, E., 2016. Service user involvement in preregistration general nurse education: a systematic review. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NURSING, 25 (1-2), 53-69.
- Scammell, J., 2016. Dementia care in hospitals: Interprofessional education. British Journal of Nursing, 25 (8), 462.
- Scammell, J., 2016. 'Prioritise people': The importance of anti-oppressive practice. British Journal of Nursing, 25 (4), 226.
- Scammell, J., 2016. Nurse migration and the EU: How are UK nurses prepared? British Journal of Nursing, 25 (13), 764.
- Scammell, J., 2016. Should I stay or should I go? Stress, burnout and nurse retention. British Journal of Nursing, 25 (17), 990.
- Phillips, J., Cooper, K., Rosser, E., Scammell, J., Heaslip, V., White, S., Donaldson, I., Jack, E., Hemingway, A. and Harding, A., 2015. An exploration of the perceptions of caring held by students entering nursing programmes in the United Kingdom: A longitudinal qualitative study phase 1. NURSE EDUCATION IN PRACTICE, 15 (6), 403-408.
- Scammell, J., 2015. The professional duty of candour: Implications for nursing. British Journal of Nursing, 24 (4), 237.
- Scammell, J., 2015. International nurses day: National and international perspectives. British Journal of Nursing, 24 (8), 458.
- Scammell, J., 2015. Making a connection: The key to humanised care. British Journal of Nursing, 24 (15), 786.
- Scammell, J., 2015. Raising concerns: The vulnerability of students. British Journal of Nursing, 24 (12), 648.
- Scammell, J., 2015. Preparing students to deliver integrated care. British Journal of Nursing, 24 (19), 977.
- Scammell, J., 2015. Service-user involvement in nurse education. British Journal of Nursing, 24 (22), 1163.
- Scammell, J. and Tait, D., 2014. Using humanising values to support care. Nurs Times, 110 (15), 16-18.
- Bennett, S. and Scammell, J., 2014. Midwives caring for asylum-seeking women: research findings. Pract Midwife, 17 (1), 9-12.
- Scammell, J., 2014. Values: The heart of our professional Code. British Journal of Nursing, 23 (19), 1048.
- Scammell, J., 2014. Tackling health inequalities: Learning from our forebears. British Journal of Nursing, 23 (22), 1201.
- Hutchings, M., Scammell, J. and Quinney, A., 2013. Praxis and reflexivity for interprofessional education: towards an inclusive theoretical framework for learning. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 27 (5), 358-366.
- Scammell, J., Johnson, S. and Serrant-Green, L., 2013. Safeguarding an ethnically diverse UK nursing workforce in ‘all degree’ nursing education. Journal of Psychological Issues in Organizational Culture.
- Scammell, J.M.E. and Olumide, G., 2012. Racism and the mentor-student relationship: Nurse education through a white lens. Nurse Education Today, 32 (5), 545-550.
- Hemingway, A., Scammell, J. and Heaslip, V., 2012. Humanising nursing care: a theoretical model. Nursing Times, 108 (40), 26-30.
- Scammell, J., Hemingway, A. and Heaslip, V., 2012. Humanising values at the heart of nurse education. Nursing Times, 108 (41), 26-30.
- Heaslip, V. and Scammell, J., 2011. Failing underperforming students: The role of grading in practice assessment. Nurse Education in Practice.
- Scammell, J., 2010. The Globalisation of Nursing. JOURNAL OF PSYCHIATRIC AND MENTAL HEALTH NURSING, 17 (7), 663-664.
- Scammell, J. and Nash, S., 2010. How to use coaching and action learning to support mentors in the workplace. Nursing Times, 106, 20-23.
- Nash, S. and Scammell, J., 2010. Skills to ensure success in mentoring and other workplace learning approaches. Nursing Times, 106, 17-20.
- Pulman, A., Scammell, J. and Martin, M., 2009. Enabling interprofessional education: The role of technology to enhance learning. Nurse Education Today, 29, 232-239.
- Quinney, A., Hutchings, M. and Scammell, J., 2008. Student and staff experiences of using a virtual community, Wessex Bay, to support interprofesional learning: messagesfor collaborative practice. Social Work Education, 27, 658-664.
- Turnock, C., Moran, P., Scammell, J., Mallik, M. and Mulholland, J., 2005. The preparation of practice educators: an overview of current practice in five healthcare disciplines. Work Based Learning in Primary Care, 3, 218-235.
- De Laine, C., Scammell, J. and Heaslip, V., 2002. Continence care and policy initiatives. Nurs Stand, 17 (7), 45-51.
- Laine, C., Scammell, J. and Heaslip, V., 2002. Continence care and policy initiatives. Nurs Stand, 17 (7), 45-56.
- Scammell, J. and Miller, S., 1999. Back to basics: exploring the conceptual basis of nursing. Nurse Education Today, 19, 570-577.
- Graham, I.W., Waight, S. and Scammell, J., 1998. Using structured reflection to improve nursing practice. Nursing Times, 94, 56-59.
- Scammell, J., Hind, M. and Harding, A., 2012. End of Life Care Education Project: A Service Evaluation. Bournemouth University: Bournemouth University.
- Scammell, J., Heaslip, V., Phillips, J. and Cooper, K., 2009. Assessment of Practice in Pre-Registration Undergraduate Nursing Programmes. Phase 2 Evaluation: Survey of students’ and mentors’ experiences of grading student competence in practice.. Fern Barrow: Bournemouth University.
- Scammell, J., Halliwell, D. and Partlow, C., 2007. Assessment of Practice in Pre-Registration Undergraduate Nursing Programmes: An Evaluation of a Tool to Grade Student Performance in Practice. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Mulholland, J., Mallik, M., Moran, P., Scammell, J. and Turnock, C., 2005. Making Practice-Based Learning Work. An Overview of the Nature of the Preparation of Practice Educators in Five Health Care Disciplines. London: Higher Education Academy, Health Science and Practice Network.
- Mulholland, J., Mallik, M., Moran, P., Scammell, J. and Turnock, C., 2005. Occasional Paper No 6: Making practice-based learning work. An overview of the nature of the preparation of practice educators in five health care disciplines.. London: HEA.
- Scammell, J., 2014. Ageing in a multicultural society. Caring for Older People in Nursing. London: Sage Learning Matters.
- Cooper, K. and Scammell, J., 2013. Chapter 8: Professional Culture and Vulnerability. Understanding Vulnerability. Wiley.
- Scammell, J. and Thomas, G., 2013. Chapter 5: Social construction of Vulnerability. Understanding Vulnerability. Wiley.
- Wilson, K. and Scammell, J., 2011. Chapter 6: Opportunities and Challenges of Grading Performance in Practice. In: Helme, M. and Reid, C., eds. Assessment in Health Care Programmes: Occasional Paper. Higher Education Academy, Health Science and Practice Network.
- Hutchings, M., Quinney, A. and Scammell, J., 2010. The utility of disruptive technologies in interprofessional education: negotiating the substance and spaces of blended learning. In: Bromage, A., Clouder, L., Thistlethwaite, J. and Gordon, F., eds. Interprofessional E-Learning and Collaborative Work: Practices and Technologies. Hershey, PA, USA: IGI Global, 190-203.
- Board, M. and Scammell, J., 2016. Humanised Approach to Interprofessional Dementia Education. In: British Society of Gerontology 6-8 July 2016 University of Stirling.
- Heaslip, V., Spriggs, A, Mills, A., Scammell, J., Warren, A., Mercer, A., Addis, A., Bond, M., Latchford, C. and Borwell, J., 2016. "Humanising the Interview Process”; an Evaluation of Service User/Carers Contribution to Value Based Recruitment in a Pre-registration Adult Nursing Programme. In: NET/NEP 6th International Nurse Education Conference 3-6 April 2016 Brisbane, Australia.
- Rosser, E., Scammell, J., Bevan, A. and Hundley, V., 2015. Global Scholarship: the challenges for nursing and the value of STTI. In: Biennial Convention of Sigma Theta Tau International 7-11 November 2015 Las Vagas.
- Scammell, J., Spriggs, A. and Tait, D., 2015. The challenge of implementing integrated care: findings from a respiratory service evaluation. In: Nursing leadership in a politicised care arena. Sigma Theta Tau Phi Mu Chapter Biannual Conference 11-12 June 2015 Leeds.
- Scammell, J., 2014. Evolving perceptions of caring during the first year of a nurse education programme: interim findings from a longitudinal study. In: NET2014 - International Networking for Education in Healthcare Conference 2-4 September 2014 Cambridge.
- Rosser, E., Scammell, J., Bevan, A. and Hundley, V., 2014. Global Scholarship: the challenges for nursing. In: Sigma Theta Tau International Honour Society 2nd European Regional Conference 15-18 June 2014 Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Rosser, E., Hemingway, A., Harding, A., Cooper, K., Donaldson, I., Heaslip, V., Jack, E., Phillips, J., Scammell, J. and White, S., 2013. Do students enter nursing programmes with a caring disposition? An exploration of the qualities and values held by students entering pre-registration nursing in one English University. In: 24th International Networking for Healthcare Education 3-5 September 2013 Cambridge, UK.
- Phillips, J., Cooper, K., Rosser, E., Scammell, J., Heaslip, V., White, S., Donaldson, I., Hemingway, A., Jack, E. and Harding, A., 2013. To explore the impact of a humanising curriculum on new nursing recruits' personal beliefs about the core values of nursing. In: 24th International Networking for Healthcare Education 3-5 September 2013 Cambridge, UK.
- Rosser, E., Hemingway, A., Harding, A., Cooper, K., Donaldson, I., Heaslip, V., Jack, E., Phillips, J., Scammell, J. and White, S., 2013. Putting patients at the heart of nursing care: an exploratory study of student values entering pre-registration nursing in one UK University. In: Inaugural Phi Mu Chapter conference 20-21 June 2013 Bournemouth UK.
- Scammell, J., 2012. Reflexivity and researching racism. In: 1st European Conference of the Nursing Honours Society (STTI) July 2012 Cardiff.
- Scammell, J., 2011. The implications of equality legislation for nurse education: the example of race. In: Networking for Education in Healthcare Conference September 2011 Cambridge.
- Hutchings, M., Quinney, A. and Scammell, J., 2010. Praxis and reflexivity for interprofessional education: towards an inclusive theoretical framework for learning. In: All Together Better Health 5 International Interprofessional Conference 6-9 April 2010 Manly, Sydney, Australia.
- Scammell, J. and Heaslip, V., 2009. Assessment of practice in pre-registration undergraduate nursing programmes: exploration of students and mentors experiences of grading student competence in practice. In: RCN Joint Education Forums’ 2nd International Conference and Exhibition. 11-13 June 2009 Glasgow, Scotland.
- Hutchings, M., Scammell, J., Quinney, A. and Hean, S., 2008. Developing Inter-Professional Collaboration Through a Virtual Practice Community: The Benefits and Challenges of Embedding e-Learning in Designing for Learning Together. In: All Together Better Health IV Conference 2-5 June 2008 Stockholm, Sweden.
- Quinney, A., Hutchings, M. and Scammell, J., 2008. Technology Enhanced Learning; Staff and Social Work Student Experiences of a Virtual Community to Support Interprofessional Education. In: 34th Biannual Congress of the International Association of Schools of Social Work: Transcending Global-Local Divides: Challenges for Social Work Education and Practice 20-24 July 2008 Durban, S. Africa.
- Scammell, J., 2008. The Social Construction of Difference: An Exploration of Intercultural Mentorship in Nursing. In: 7th International Qualitative Research Conference 8-10 September 2008 Bournemouth University, England.
- Scammell, J., Hutchings, M. and Quinney, A., 2007. Changing Practice Through Collaboration and Simulation: Using a Virtual Practice Community to Support Student Learning and Act as a Catalyst for Organisational and Cultural Change. In: CAL’ 07: Development, Disruption and Debate – D3 26-28 March 2007 Trinity College, Dublin.
- Halliwell, D. and Scammell, J., 2007. Evaluation of Assessment of Practice in an Undergraduate Nursing Programme. In: Nurse Education Tomorrow Annual Participative Conference 5-7 September 2006 Durham, England.
- Quinney, A., Scammell, J. and Hutchings, M., 2007. Exploring professional boundaries and developing partnership working using Wessex bay, and electronic resource representing a typical town. In: 1st European Interprofessional Education Network (EIPEN) Conference. Learning Together to Work Together. 12-14 September 2007 Krakow, Poland. Health Sciences and Practice/EIPEN.
- Scammell, J., Partlow, C. and Halliwell, D., 2007. Focus on Undergraduate Nursing Practice: Using Grading to Reward Good Practice. In: RCN Joint Education Forums’ 1st International Conference July 2007 Brighton, England.
- Scammell, J., 2007. The Experience of Mentorship Between Internationally Recruited Nurses and English Nursing Students. In: 33rd Annual Conference of the Transcultural Nursing Society 19-21 September 2007 Bournemouth University, England.
- Scammell, J., Hutchings, M. and Quinney, A., 2007. The Virtual Practice Community for Interprofessional Education: Interim Study Findings. In: 5th Festival of Learning: Higher Education Academy Health Sciences and Practice 27-29 March 2007 The Royal College of Physicians, London.
- Scammell, J., 2006. Sharing Inter-Professional Resources to Make Practice Based Learning Work. In: 8th RCN Joint Education Forums' conference: Education: Partners in Practice 22-24 February 2006 Cardiff, Wales.
- Scammell, J. and Hutchings, M., 2006. The Virtual Practice Community as a Catalyst for Student Learning and Staff Development in Inter-Professional Education. In: NET/NEP 2006: 1st International Nurse Education Conference: Developing collaborative practice in health and social education (Elsevier) 14-16 May 2006 Sheraton Wall Centre Hotel, Vancouver, BC.
- Scammell, J., 2005. Making Practice-Based Learning Work: Findings From an Interdisciplinary Case Study. In: 7th Royal College of Nursing Joint Education Forum and Conference: Education Partners in Practice February 2005 Harrogate, England.
- Scammell, J., 2005. Why Reinvent the Wheel? Sharing Effective Resources to Make Practice-Based Learning Work. In: Higher Education Academy Annual Conference: Enhancing the Student Experience June 2005 Herriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Pulman, A. and Scammell, J., 2004. Tales from our e-learning journey. In: Bournemouth University Learning and Teaching Conference: flexible learning - how far have we come? 5-6 July 2004 Bournemouth.
- Scammell, J., Tait, D., Spriggs, A., Hind, M., Belchamber, C. and van Teijlingen, E., 2015. Dorset Adult Integrated Care Service (DAIRS): Service Evalaution. Bournemouth University: Bournemouth University.
- Scammell, J., Hind, M. and Harding, D., 2012. End of Life Care Education: A Service evaluation. Bournemouth University: Bournemouth University.
- Scammell, J., Heaslip, V., Phillips, J. and Cooper, K., 2009. Assessment of Practice in Pre-Registration Undergraduate Nursing Programmes. Phase 2 Evaluation: Survey of students’ and mentors’ experiences of grading student competence in practice.. Bournemouth: Bournemouth University.
- Scammell, J., Hutchings, M. and Quinney, A., 2008. A virtual practice community for student learning and staff development in health and social work inter-professional education. Mini-project evaluation report.. London: HEA. Available from: http://www.health.heacademy.ac.uk/lenses/mp/m10021.html.
- Scammell, J., Halliwell, D. and Partlow, C., 2007. Assessment of practice in pre-registration undergraduate nursing programmes: An evaluation tool to grade student performance in practice. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Marionette Zvavamwe (An exploration of employing leadership to enhance both staff and the delivery quality patient care within the clinical setting)
- Colin Paterson (Clinical decision-making in sports physiotherapy)
- Layla Toomer (‘An exploration of Community Midwives and maternity Support Workers roles in the post-natal period.’)
- Sue Mant (A Narrative Inquiry looking through the ‘lens’ of the learners experience in the first six months following completion of the current preparation programme for sign-off midwife mentors)
- Sue Melling (Relatives’ perspectives, experiences and perceived needs related to humanistic, family centred care in a hospital setting)
- Jane Fry (Are there other ways of knowing? Independent midwives experiences of utilising intuition during maternity care)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Group supervisor for 2013 cohort - Doctorate in Professional Practice (D)
- Unit Leader - Scholarship for Professional Practice on the PG Cert Academic Practice
Profile of Teaching UG
- Unit Team Member - Vulnerability (I); Humanising Healthcare (I)
- Unit Leader - Exploring Adult Nursing (C)
- Keynote presentation to Practice Educator Conference
- Service Evaluation of a newly established DAIRS Service (Wessex AHSN, 01 Dec 2014). Awarded
- End of Life Care Education Project: A Service evaluation (Frances and Augustus Newman Trust, 01 Jan 2011). Awarded
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Join us for an interactive day exploring what makes us feel ‘more human’ when experiencing health and social care. Share in and develop our humanising care philosophy created at BU.
- Trustee Poole-Africa Link – Charity supporting medical link activities in South Sudan (2013- ongoing)
- State Registered Nurse in Nursing (General Nursing Council (GNC), 1979)
- State Certified Midwife in Midwifery (General Nursing Council (GNC), 1981)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Nurse Education (South Bank Polytechnic, London, 1986)
- BA (Hons) in Social Science (Open University, 1992)
- MSc in Nursing (Kings College, London, 1996)
- DNursSci in Nursing Science (University of Wales, 2010)
- England Honour Society for Nurses, Board Member (2009-),
- European Academy of Nursing Science, Member (2012-),
- Higher Education Academy, Senior Fellow (2000-),
- Nursing and Midwifery Council, Registered Nurse & Lecturer / Practice Educator (1979-),
- Nursing Scholarship Society for England: Phi Mu Chapter, Vice President (2011-),
- Royal College of Nursing, Member (1979-),