Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
In 2016 I wrote, and am now Programme Lead for, the newly validated BSc (Hons) Sports Therapy degree within the Faculty of Health and Social Sciences at Bournemouth University.
Prior to this I had a strong teaching portfolio both at the University of Bath and here at Bournemouth University within the Department of Sport and Physical Activity. Having received a number of student nominated teaching awards since joining BU, I was one of only 6 staff selected as a Learning and Teaching Fellows at BU in 2014 for my excellence in Fusion based learning and teaching approaches.
I am currently completing my PhD which explores the experience of living with pre-menopausal osteoporosis using a reflective topical autobiographical method.
My professional background in sport rehabilitation and movement analysis for performance enhancement meant I was fortunate to have some amazing professional experiences from working with Dr Dave Alred in Performance Coaching to massaging Justin Timberlake. With Dave in professional football I have carried out consultancy work at Bolton Wanderers and with players at Chelsea... Within rugby, football, golf and polo, I have worked establishing musculoskeletal efficiency for consistent technique. I helped conceive and plan the high performance lab at Pure Sports Medicine in Threadneedle Street, London. I have experience both within the British Olympic Medical Association and orthopaedic theatres both NHS and in private hospitals.
I am now leading the new and innovative Sports Therapy programme here at BU, to faciliate the professional learning of future Sports Therapists.more
‘My Bones Won’t Break Me': A reflective topical autobiography exploring the experience of living with premenopausal osteoporosis.
- Cooper, K., Oliver, L., Podee, M. and Thurston, J., 2017. The Personal Stories of a Methodology Study Group: An independent learning and support mechanism for postgrads. The Sociological Imagination. Available from: http://sociologicalimagination.org/archives/19441#respond.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Functional Anatomy (Year 1)
- Sport Injuries and Rehabilitation
- Functional Anatomy
- Programme Leader BSc (Hons) Sports Therapy, Human Sciences and Public Health
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Asked to write and run a widening participation workshop to enthuse young learners in the profession of Sports Therapy
- BSA Christmas Conference - Public and Private Lives, Transitioning Ones Private Experience into the Public Domain, 08 Dec 2017, Friends House, London
- Enhancing Primary Care through Research and Innovation, Improving Primary Care Provision through Understanding the Experiences of ‘Strangers’ within Diagnostic Groups., 22 Nov 2017, Executive Business Centre, Bournemouth University
- Humanising Care, Health and Wellbeing Conference, 'My Bones Won't Break Me:' My Experience of Living with Osteoporosis as a young active female., 29 Jun 2017, Bournemouth University
- AFCB Fitness Testing - Data Collection, Consultancy. AFC Bournemouth
- Fitness Testing Analysis - AFC Bournemouth, Report writing for Fitness Testing Data for AFCB fitness data. AFC Bournemouth
- Level 1 in Accredited Anthropometrist in Kinanthropometry (International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry, 2012)
- BSc (Hons) in Sport Rehabilitation with Health and Human Biology (St Mary's University College, 2001)
- MSc in Sport Science & Medicine (Roehampton University, 2006)
- BU Learning and Teaching Fellowship (2014)
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Science, Member (2017-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2014-),