Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Working closely with local businesses, organisations and professional bodies, I lead real student projects in years two and four of the BA Business Studies. Projects have ranged from building a wildlife area for a local school and fund raising through to developing a sustainable transport policy for a local financial company and evaluating the carbon footprint for a construction company. I teach Project Management at year two and Advanced Project Management to part-time online students.
After a long career in Information Systems and Technology that included strategic consultancy, I joined Bournemouth University in 1996 to teach a range of management and systems-related topics, now focused on project management. I led the online undergraduate business programmes for three years. Currently I am engaged in research towards my PhD on the role of social media in Project Management.
- Thompson, K., 2016. Digital Technologies in Project Management. In: Digital Engagement 29 June 2016 Bournemouth University and online.
- Thompson, K., 2009. Between Two Worlds: Unpacking performance and learning. In: 4th Annual BMAF Conference 2009: Engaging Employers 28-29 April 2009 Cardiff.
- Thompson, K., 2005. Between Two Worlds: Use of reflection for assessing industry-collaborative student projects. In: 2nd Conference on Excellence in Learning and Teaching for Project Management 15-16 September 2005 Bournemouth University.
- Ginige, T., Butters, J., Ball, F., Thompson, K., Julius, S., Pearce, D., Caine, C. and Thackwray, C.. Harnessing Marine Renewable Energy from Poole Harbour: Case Study. In: COBRA 2012 - Construction, Building and Real Estate Research Conference of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. 10-13 September 2012 Las Vegas.
- Thompson, K., 2015. Perspectives on projects, project success and team work. Bournemouth University.
- Thompson, K., 2009. Managing projects for success: 5 Ways to success in the recession. Available from: https://projectmanagementblog.wordpress.com/.
- Thompson, K.M., 2009. Project Management University Challenge. Available from: https://projectmanagementblog.wordpress.com/.
- Thompson, K.. Sustainable Project Management: 5 Ways to make your project greener. Available from: https://projectmanagementblog.wordpress.com/.
- Thompson, K., 2017. Digital disruptors and digital connectors. Southampton: Association for Project Management Wessex branch. Unpublished.
- Thompson, K., 2016. Project Management Research: Digital Disruptors and Digital Connectors in Project Management. online: BURO. Published online.
- Student competition to generate multi-purpose material promoting BU’s role is supporting businesses and developing employable graduates (BU Fusion Fund, 23 May 2014). Completed
- Renewable Energy: An integrated approach (BU Fusion Fund, 01 Dec 2011). Completed
- Poole Tidal Energy Partnership, Director (2011-)
- University of Hertfordshire, External Examiner (2007-2011)
- Link Tutor Business & Management, Faculty of Management
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Presentation at meeting of APM Wessex branch
- Digital Engagement, Digital Technologies in Project Management, 29 Jun 2016, Bournemouth University - online conference and workshop
- Learning and Teaching, Mountains and Molehills: Exploring the benefits and concerns of e-learning., 10 May 2006, Bournemouth, UK
- Excellence in Learning and Teaching of Project Management (2nd conference), Between Two Worlds: Use of reflection for assessing industry-collaborative student projects, 16 Sep 2005, Bournemouth, UK
- Towards a Social Science of Web 2.0, Virtual Communities for Active Living, 05 Sep 2007, York, UK
- Communication and Society, 10th Anniversary Symposium of the Journal of Information, From Chalk to Cheese : a case study in the integration of e-learning within a traditional learning environment, 20 Sep 2006, York, UK
- BSc (Hons) in Computing (CNAA, 1982)
- MA in Academic Practice (Bournemouth University, 2005)
- Bournemouth Digital Project Managers Meetup, Member (2016-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (-2005),