Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Following many years in a senior management role at BU I have stepped down from from my role as Executive Dean of the Faculty of Management. My research focuses on tourism development, visitor attractions, heritage management and tourism education and I have been actively involved in cultivating the next generation of tourism researchers within the Faculty. Past PhD students have investigated nature-based tourism, visitor motivation and behaviour at garden attractions and World Heritage Sites, such as Thailand and The Jurassic Coast. Further PhD topics include post-conflict tourism, the social impacts of the 2008 UEFA Championship, urban regeneration and the 2012 Olympics and the values of UK heritage providers and consumers.
As a long-standing member of the Association for Tourism in Higher Education (ATHE) Executive Committee and a Quality Assurance Agency Subject Specialist Reviewer I have been involved in the development of tourism education both in the UK and globally for over 30 years... I am a Fellow of both the Royal Geographical Society and the Tourism Society.more
- Hazra, S., Fletcher, J. and Wilkes, K., 2017. An evaluation of power relationships among stakeholders in the tourism industry networks of Agra, India. Current Issues in Tourism, 20 (3), 278-294.
- Wilkes, K., 2016. Book Review: Tourism and cricket: travels to the boundary, edited by Tom Baum and Richard Butler, Bristol: Channel View Publications,2014,208 pp.,£24.95(pbk,ISBN-13:978-1-84541-452-8. Journal of Sport and Tourism, 20 (2), 161-162.
- Reddy, M.V., Nica, M. and Wilkes, K., 2012. Space tourism: Research recommendations for the future of the industry and perspectives of potential participants. Tourism Management, 33 (5), 1093-1102.
- Hares, A., Dickinson, J. and Wilkes, K., 2010. Climate change and the air travel decisions of UK tourists. Journal of Transport Geography, 18 (3), 466-473.
- Curtin, S.C. and Wilkes, K., 2007. Swimming with captive dolphins: current debates and post-experience dissonance. International Journal of Tourism Research, 9, 131-146.
- Ohmann, S., Jones, I. and Wilkes, K., 2006. The perceived social impacts of the 2006 World Cup on Munich residents. Journal of Sport and Tourism, 11, 129-152.
- Daengbuppha, J., Hemmington, N. and Wilkes, K., 2006. Using grounded theory to model visitor experiences at heritage sites: methodological and practical issues. Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal, 9, 367-388.
- Curtin, S.C. and Wilkes, K., 2005. British wildlife tourism operators: current issues and typologies. Current Issues in Tourism, 8, 455-478.
- Dickinson, J.E., Calver, S.J., Watters, K. and Wilkes, K., 2004. Journeys to heritage attractions in the UK: a case study of National Trust property visitors in the South West. Journal of Transport Geography, 12, 103-113.
- Reddy, M., 2014. Tourism in the Green Economy. Routledge.
- Tourism, Climate Change and Sustainability. Oxford: Routledge.
- Richards, S. and Wilkes, K., 2014. Tourism in England: London 2012 olympic games and beyond. European Tourism Planning and Organisation Systems: The EU Member States. 28-43.
- Reddy, M.V. and Wilkes, K., 2012. Tourism and sustainability: Transition to a green economy. Tourism Climate Change and Sustainability. 3-23.
- Fox, D., Edwards, J. and Wilkes, K., 2010. Employing the ‘grand tour’ approach to aid understanding of garden visiting. In: Richards, G. and Munsters, W., eds. Cultural Tourism Research Methods. Wallingford, Oxon: CABI, 75-86.
- Wilkes, K. and Richards, S., 2008. Attraction Failure and Success. In: Fyall, A., Garrod, B., Leask, A. and Wanhill, S., eds. Managing Visitor Attractions. 2nd ed.. Oxford: Elsevier/Butterworth-Heinemann, 39-58.
- Wilkes, K., Brown, B., Rowe, J., Shobrook, I., Tunbridge, S. and Hanson, J., 2004. Designing the future: partnerships in practice. In: Brennan, L. and Gosling, D., eds. Making foundation degrees work: nine case studies reflecting the experience of SEEC institutions of implementing foundation degrees. London: SEEC, 101-124.
- Reddy, M.V. and Wilkes, K., 2015. TOURISM IN THE GREEN ECONOMY Rio to post-2015. 3-31.
- Curtin, S.C. and Wilkes, K., 2007. Designing and Co-creating Memorable Wildlife Experiences: The Role of the Tour Leader. In: Extraordinary Experiences Conference:managing the consumer experience in hospitality, leisure, sport, tourism, retail and events 3-4 September 2007 Bournemouth, England.
- Ohmann, S., Wilkes, K. and Jones, I., 2007. Effects of Sport Tourism Eevents on Host Cities: The Perceived Social Impacts of the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Munich (Germany). In: Event Tourism: Enhancing Destinations and the Visitor Economy 10-11 January 2007 Bournemouth University.
- Sadd, D., Dickinson, J.E., Jones, I. and Wilkes, K., 2007. London 2012: Will it be Regeneration or Renaissance? In: ACEM 2007: Re-eventing the City: Events as Catalysts for Change 11-12 July 2007 Melbourne, Australia.
- Sadd, D., Dickinson, J., Jones, I. and Wilkes, K., 2007. London 2012: Will it be Regeneration or Rejuvenation? In: ACEM 4th International Event Research Conference & 2nd International Event Education & Research Network Australasia 10-13 July 2007 Melbourne, Australia. Sydney: Australian Centre for Events Management.
- Daengbuppha, J., Hemmington, N. and Wilkes, K., 2004. Using grounded theory approach: theoretical and practical issues in modelling heritage visitor experience. In: New Zealand Tourism and Hospitality Research Conference 8-10 December 2004 Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand..
- Curtin, S.C. and Wilkes, K., 2004. Typologies, Issues and Management Dilemmas of British Wildlife Tour Operators. In: Tourism: State of the Art II Conference 27-30 June 2004 University of Strathclyde, Glasgow.
- Hanson, J., Brown, B. and Wilkes, K., 2003. SMEs, work-based learning and foundation degrees: challenges and opportunities. In: Credit, Work-Related and Work-Based Learning and Foundation Degrees. SEEC Annual Residential Conference 4-5 September 2003 Harrow, UK.
- Wilkes, K., 2003. Foundation degrees and tourism education: experiences from a pilot project in South West England. In: Educating for Tomorrow's Tourism 10-12 October 2003 Ohrid, Macedonia..
- Wilkes, K., Hanson, J. and Brown, B., 2003. Credit, work-related and work-based learning and foundation degrees. In: SEEC Annual Conference 4-5 September 2003 University of Westminster, London..
- Wilkes, K., 2002. FdAs in Tourism: The South-West Experience. In: ATHE Annual Conference: Quality in Tourism in HE 5-6 December 2002 Earth Centre, Denaby Main, Doncaster, England.
- BA (Hons) in Geography (1973)
- PhD in Geography (1978)
- Association for Tourism in Higher Education, Executive Committee (1999-2016),
- Royal Geographical Society, Fellow (-2016),
- The Tourism Society, Fellow (-2016),