Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Matthew Hartwell is a Senior Lecturer in the Faculty of Health and Social Science at Bournemouth University. I have extensive experience in nursing and nurse education.
the majority of my teaching is post registration where I am the programme lead for Independent and Supplementary Prescribing. I also practice and an Advanced prescribing Practitioner in the out of hours service at Bournemouth Hospital. this allows me to keep myself updated and to provide credible and practice focused teaching.
I also teach on the undergraduate programme Anatomy and Physiology through the lifespan and Complex conditions. my work in practice allows to me provide up to date clinical experience to reinforce my teaching .
My interests lie in advance practice and medical law and ethics since undertaking my masters in medical law in 2011.
Although currently I am not undertaking research my interests are in advance practice particularly prescribing and the medico legal issues surrounding this.
I am currently writing submission s for nurse prescribing and intend to look at the experiences of nurse prescribers in the future.
- Hartwell, M. and Gagan, M., 2016. Nurse Prescribers and legalising assisted suicide in the UK. Nurse Prescribing, 14 (5), 248-251.
- Cheesman, S. and Hartwell, M., 2012. The challenges of prescribing in out-of-hours care. Nurse Prescribing, 10 (9), 410-412.
- Hartwell, M., 2005. Medical negligence: can doctors and nurses still rely on the doctrine that they know best? Legal Medicine, 7, 293-298.
Profile of Teaching PG
- V100 Community Practioner Prescribing
- Indpendent and Supplementary Prescribing
- Nurse Independent Prescribing
Profile of Teaching UG
- Managing Complex Conditions
- Foundations of Anatomy and Physiology
- Anatomy and Physiology Yrs 1-3
- Salford university, External examiner (2016-2020)
- City university, External examiner (2016-)
- Quality Assurance, QAEG
- PGDIp in Medical Research (University of Bath, 2014)
- 40 Credits in Independant and Supplemntary Prescribing (Bournemouth University / NMC, 2009)
- MA in Medical Law (University of Wales(Swansea), 2005)
- 40 Credits Level 6 in Health and Physical Assessment (Bournemouth University, 2006)
- BSc (Hons) in Clinical Nursing (Bournemouth University, 1996)
- Post graduate Certificate In Education in Education (University Of Wales, 2001)
- PGCE Education (Cardiff University, 2001)
- Nurse Independent Prescribing (Bournemouth University, 2009)
- Advaned Health and Physical assessment (Bournemouth University, 2007)
- Ma Medical Law and Ethics (University of Wales, 2005)
- Hea, Fellow (2006-),
- NMC, Member (1986-),
- Royal College of Nursing, Member (2001-),