Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I currently research and teach in the Centre for Excellence in Learning at Bournemouth University as well as its Business School. My research and teaching interests touch on the overarching themes of Education for Sustainable Development, Graduate Employability, Leadership, Management, Inclusive Education, Widening Participation, International Education and University Community Engagement. In realising my research targets, a versatile set of research designs come to the fore, notably: Interpretive Case Studies, Ethnographies, Narratives and Mixed Methodology. Research proposals for supervision or collaboration that touch on any of these themes are welcome.
- Goodwin, K. and Mbah, M., 2017. ENHANCING THE WORK PLACEMENT EXPERIENCE OF INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: TOWARDS A SUPPORT FRAMEWORK. Journal of further and higher education.
- Tauringana, V., Mbah, M. and Alexander, P., 2017. Interrogating the importance and awareness of NSS improvement initiatives: a case study of final-year undergraduate students. Journal of Further and Higher Education, 1-21.
- Mbah, M.F., 2016. Towards the idea of the interconnected university for sustainable community development. Higher Education Research and Development, 35 (6), 1228-1241.
- Mbah, M., 2015. Towards a model of university-aided technologically driven community development. Community Development Journal.
- Mbah, M., 2014. The Dilemma of Graduate Unemployment within a Context of Poverty, Scarcity and Fragile Economy: Are there Lessons for the University? International Journal of Economics and Finance, 6 (12), 27.
- Mbah, M., 2014. Connecting the University with the Local Community: Exploring Strategic Links to Capture and Maximise Community Voices. STUDIES IN MODERN SOCIETY, 5 (1), 42-51.
- Mbah, M., 2014. Galvanizing a University’s Developmental Mission through Community Participation. Journal of the World Universities Forum, 6 (2), 53-64.
- Mbah, M., 2012. Institutionalising community voice within the framework of a university’s developmental mission. Journal of International Scientific Publications: Educational Alternatives, 10 (2), 347-358.
- Mbah, M., 2012. Motivation of university support staff to improve work performance. Saarbrücken: Lambert Academic Publishing.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Leadership Essentials
- Inclusive Education on the PGR course for PhD students who are new to teaching
Profile of Teaching UG
- Developing Management Competencies - BA (Hons) Business studies; BA (Hons) Marketing
- Business Management Level 4
- Research Methods - second year education students at CCCU
- Understanding university financial support and bursaries and their impact on students’ decision for higher education/university, choice of degree programme, retention, wellbeing, success and employability (BU Fair Access Agreement Management Group, 02 May 2016). Completed
- An investigation into the relative importance of the National Student Survey improvement initiatives: The case of Bournemouth University’s Accounting and Finance framework (CEL Fusion Investment Fund, 05 Nov 2015). Completed
- An exploration of the placement experience of international students (CEL Fusion Investment Fund, 01 May 2015). Completed
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Co-led a festival of learning event captioned "Curiosity Playground". Hosted by the BU Research Staff Association (RSA), the event involved researchers showcasing their work though creative and interactive methods, including props.
- Co-led the BU Research Staff Association (RSA) Festival of Learning event ‘RSA – Research with impact’. The event took place on the 28th June 2016. Researchers from across BU had an opportunity to showcase their research to the public in innovative ways (e.g. through Lego, artifacts or talking around an exhibited poster or object etc).
- British Educational Research Association (BERA) Annual Conference, Optimising Higher Education Opportunities through Financial Support: What More Do Students Need?, 5 September 2017, University of Sussex
- Engaged Learning Symposium, Forging a university-aided indigenous community education policy: village elders, informal education and social development in Cameroon, 6 July 2017, University of Sheffield
- 13th PASCAL Observatory International Conference, The instrumentality of community-based service learning in instigating local transformations: An investigation into the role community voices., 3 June 2016, Glasgow
- Association for Moral Education’s 42nd Annual Conference, Towards a university driven service learning model for community development., 8 December 2016, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- 6th International Scientific Conference on Studies in Modern Society, The idea of an interconnected university for a sustainable community development, 26 February 2015, Siauliai Lithuania
- World Social Science Forum, The Intricacies of University and Community Collaboration to Aid Technologically driven development – Case of Cameroon, 13 October 2013, Montreal, Canada
- Annual ESREA Life History and Biography Network Group Conference, Community Voices Constructing a University’s Developmental Mission: What are the Implications for Community Development?, 28 February 2013, Canterbury Christ Church University, UK
- World Universities Forum 2013, Galvanizing a University’s Mission through Community Voice, 10 January 2013, University of British Columbia – Vancouver Canada
- 10th Pascal Observatory International Conference, Institutionalizing Community Voice within the Framework of a University’s Developmental Mission, 29 October 2012, University of Western Brittany, Brest, France
- University of Manchester Faculty of Education Postgraduate Conference, Conceptualising Community Voice within the Framework of a University’s Developmental Mission, 2 August 2012, University of Manchester UK
- BSc (Hons) in Management (University of Buea, 2005)
- PGCE in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2016)
- PhD in Education (Canterbury Christ Church University, 2015)
- MA in Educational Leadership and Management (University of Nottingham, 2011)
- Graduate Scholar Award (World Universities Forum, 2013)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2016-),
- Society for Research into Higher Education, Member (2015-),