Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
My main areas of research and expertise lie in the fields of sustainability, tourism, SIDS and disasters. My PhD (in Human Geography) was from the University of Exeter and I have completed a specialist Masters in Tourism at the Pondicherry University India. Before moving to BU, I worked as a post-doc Research Associate at the Kent Business School, University of Kent and was associated with projects and events supported by the British Academy and European Commission. At BU, I am involved in teaching, research, PhD supervision and curriculum development. I have completed research projects commissioned both by national and international organisations: e.g. UNESCO (2002-03), Rufford-Whitley Nature Conservation (2002), Royal Geographic Society (2004), UNESCO (2005), and British Academy (2009). I was one of the co-applicants to set up the BU Centre for Green Knowledge Economy (HEIF4; 2010-12). I was invited to international policy shaping conferences and events by UNWTO-UNEP (2008), UNITAR (2009), and UN Geneva (UNRISD 2011)... In 2010 I was invited by colleagues at UNESCO IOC to speak on challenges facing sustainable tourism at their 50th anniversary conference. My papers appear in key tourism journals,e.g. International Journal of Tourism Research, Current Issues in Tourism, Tourism Management, and Journal of Heritage Tourism; as well as in publications produced and circulated worldwide by international organisations, e.g. UNESCO. I have also delivered many research papers at academic conferences; organised cutting-edge conferences on topics related to Sustainability and Climate Change involving speakers from UNESCO, UNWTO and European Commission; chaired a few external conference sessions; and gave interviews to media including BBC, CNN-IBN and Wall Street Journal.more
- Filimonau, V., Dickinson, J., Robbins, D. and Reddy, M.V., 2013. The role of 'indirect' greenhouse gas emissions in tourism: Assessing the hidden carbon impacts from a holiday package tour. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 54, 78-91.
- Reddy, M., 2013. Global Tourism and Travel Industry: Performance During the Double-Dip Recession and Recommendations for Transition to a Green Economy’. The World Financial Review, 26-31.
- Reddy, M.V., Nica, M. and Wilkes, K., 2012. Space tourism: Research recommendations for the future of the industry and perspectives of potential participants. Tourism Management, 33 (5), 1093-1102.
- Filimonau, V., Dickinson, J.E., Robbins, D.K. and Reddy, M.V., 2011. A critical review of methods for tourism climate change appraisal: life cycle assessment as a new approach. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 19, 301-324.
- Reddy, M.V., 2010. Book Review: Cultural Tourism and Sustainable Local Development. Edited by Girard, L.F and Nijkamp, P (2009) (ISBN:9780754673910). Journal of Heritage Tourism.
- Reddy, M.V., 2009. World Heritage Site selection in sensitive areas: Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Journal of Heritage Tourism, 4, 267-285.
- Reddy, M.V., 2008. Book Review: Critical Issues in Ecotourism: Understanding a Complex Tourism Phenomenon (James Higham, Editor). Tourism Analysis, 13, 663.
- Reddy, M.V., 2008. Book Review: Tourism and climate change mitigation: methods, greenhouse gas reductions and policies edited by Paul Peeters. 2007.ISBN 978 90 72766533. Anatolia: An International Journal of Tourism & Hospitality Research, 19, 379-381.
- Reddy, M.V., 2008. Sustainable Tourism Rapid Indicators for Less-Developed Islands: An Economic Perspective. International Journal of Tourism Research, 10, 557-576.
- Reddy, M.V., 2005. Commentary: Tourism Industry in the Aftermath of the Tsunami: The Case of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Current Issues in Tourism, 8, 350-362.
- Reddy, M., 2014. Tourism in the Green Economy. Routledge.
- Tourism, Climate Change and Sustainability. Oxford: Routledge.
- Reddy.M.V and Wilkes,K, 2012. Sustainability, Climate Change and Tourism. Routledge.
- Cohen, S. and Higham, J., 2012. Contradictions in climate concern: performances of home and away. In: Reddy, M.V. and Wilkes, K., eds. Tourism, Climate Change and Sustainability. Earthscan.
- Reddy, M.V., 2010. Post-tsunami mangroves of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. In: Spalding, M., Kainuma, M. and Collins, L., eds. World Atlas of Mangroves. London: Earthscan.
- Reddy, M.V., 2008. Twinning Cities Between the Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Thailand: A Case Study of Controversy. In: Cochrane, J., ed. Asian Tourism: Growth and Change. London: Elsevier, 93-104.
- Reddy, M.V., 2010. Sustainable Tourism Issues in Islands and Coastal Areas. In: IOC 2010 International Conference “50 Years of Education and Awareness Raising for Shaping the Future of the Oceans and Coasts” 27-30 April 2010 St Petersburg, Russia..
- Reddy, M.V., 2009. Sustainability, Climate Change and Tourism: Challenges Posed by the Global Economic Crisis. In: Cutting-edge Forum 25 November 2009.
- Reddy, M.V., 2009. Socio-economic revival, through effective crisis management and tourism marketing strategies, in small islands impacted by natural disasters: a conceptual approach. In: Third Advances in Tourism Marketing Conference 6-9 September 2009 Bournemouth University, England.
- Reddy, M.V., 2009. Identification of World Heritage Sites in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands: Lessons learned and directions for future research. In: International Conference on Heritage in Asia: Converging Forces and Conflicting Values 8-10 January 2009 National University of Singapore.
- Reddy, M.V., 2008. International Workshop on 'Sea and Human Security: Towards a comprehensive security for seas and oceans: the Hiroshima Initiative'. In: United Nations Institute for Training and Research - the Hiroshima Initiative, UNITAR Asia Pacific Office 28 September-3 October 2008 Hiroshima, Japan..
- Reddy, M.V., 2008. Sustainable Tourism Rapid Indicators: An economic perspective. In: Islands of the World X Globalizing Islands; Sustainable Culture, Peace, Resources and Sustainability 24-29 August 2008 Cheju Island, South Korea..
- Reddy, M.V., 2008. International workshop on 'Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation in the Tourism Sector: Frameworks, tools and practices for Developing Countries and Small Island States'. In: UNEP-Oxford-UNWTO-WMO first international 'high-level' workshop 8-10 April 2008 University of Oxford.
- Reddy, M.V. and Fyall, A., 2008. Evolving Socio-economic Recovery and Sustainable Tourism Revival Models for Small Islands: A Case Study of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. In: International Conference on Re-examining Disaster, Recovery and Reconstruction: Social Science Perspective on Tsunami 14-15 January 2008 Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India.
- Reddy, M.V., 2007. Sustainability Indicators: Lessons from the Andamans for the Caribbean and Northern European Islands. In: Cross-Border Coastal Tourism Seminar 15 March 2007 Université du Littoral, France..
- Reddy, M.V., 2006. Island Tourism: Conference Session. In: RGS-IBG 2006 (Royal Geographical Society with Institute of British Geographers) Annual Conference 30 August-1 September 2006 London.
- Reddy, M.V., 2006. Island Tourism: Sustainable Tourism Rapid Indicators. In: RGS-IBG 2006 (Royal Geographical Society with Institute of British Geographers) Annual Conference 30 August-1 September 2006 London.
- Reddy, M.V., 2006. Disaster and Sustainable Development Challenges Facing Tourism in SIDS: A. Case Study of Andaman Islands. In: Tourism and the New Asia International Conference: Implications for Research, Policy and Practice 9-12 August 2006 Peking University, Beijing, China.. Beijing: Tourism Education Press, 800.
- Reddy, M.V., 2006. Twinning cities - Port Blair and Phuket: a panacea for tourism development or delusion for antagonism? In: Tourism in Asia Conference 10-12 June 2006 Leeds Metropolitan University.
- Reddy, M.V., 2005. Revival of Tourism in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands: a post-Tsunami perspective: External Guest Speech. In: International Institute for Culture, Tourism and Development 26 October 2005 London Metropolitan University.
- Reddy, M.V., 2005. Revival of Tourism in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands: a post-Tsunami perspective. In: UK Developmental Studies Association Conference 7-9 September 2005 Milton Keynes. UK.
- Reddy, M.V., 2004. Evolving Tourism Sustainability Indicators for the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India. In: Association of American Geographers’ 100th Annual Conference 13-19 March 2004 Philadelphia, USA..
- Reddy, M.V., 2003. The Future of Community Based Tourism in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India. In: ATLAS International Conference: Quality of Life: competing value perspectives 19-21 June 2003 Leeuwarden, Netherlands.
- Reddy, M.V., 2002. Community Based Ecotourism. In: Wessex (Easter) Conference 8-10 April 2002 Windsor, London..
- Reddy, M. and Wilkes, K.. International Conference on 'Tourism Climate Change and Sustainability'. In: International Conference on 'Tourism Climate Change and Sustainability' 13-14 September 2012 BU.
- Reddy, M.V., Shaw, G. and Williams, A.M., 2006. Impact of the Tsunami on Tourism Industry and Ecosystem: the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India. Montevideo, Uruguay: UNESCO. Available from: http://www.unesco.org.uy/mab/publicacionesmab.html Accessed 2006.
- Reddy, M.V., 2004. Community based sustainable ecotourism: the case of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. London: Royal Geographic Society.
- Reddy, M.V., 2003. Plight of the sea nomads of Surin Islands, Thailand: A Comparative Socio-Cultural Analysis in relation to the nomadic ‘Shompen’ tribes of the Great Nicobar Island, India. Paris: UNESCO World Heritage Centre.
- Reddy, M.V., 2003. The Selection of World Heritage Sites in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Paris: UNESCO World Heritage Centre.
- BA (Hons) in History (University of Madras India, 1998)
- MBA in Masters in Tourism Administration (Pondicherry University India, 2000)
- PhD in Human Geography (Sustainable Tourism) (University of Exeter, 2007)
- American Association of Geographers, Member,
- Climate SouthWest Partnership UK, Academic Member,
- Developmental Studies Association UK, Member,
- Global Islands Network, Member,
- International Small Island Studies Association, Member,
- Pacific Asia Travel Association, Young Tourism Professional,
- Royal Geographic Society, Fellow,