- 01202 965073
- nperry at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer (Academic) in Audio production
- Weymouth House W212, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Nina Perry is a Senior Lecturer in Audio Production based in the Media Production department, she primarily works with students on post graduate and undergraduate radio and media production courses, but she has also taught on music courses in Sci-tech. Nina is currently Programme Leader for MA Radio Production.
Alongside her academic work within the university Nina is as an award-winning composer and audio producer whose work is regularly commissioned and broadcast by the BBC and international networks. Nina’s interest in creative process and collaborative working practice within the arts and media sector forms part of her research and also led to her co-founding the co-operative production company Open Audio Ltd. (2012).
Following her tenure as BBC Radio Drama Composer-in-Residence (2002) Nina has assumed the role of both composer and producer to create a succession of acclaimed ‘composed features’. This body of work reflects Nina’s research interest in musical communication and storytelling and the relationship between artistic elements within narrative works... The multitudinous strands of Nina’s work are threaded together by a fascination for the human voice and vocal communication whether it’s singing, public speaking or voice pedagogy.more
Nina's PhD by Publication entitled 'Music, Narrative, Voice and Presence: Revealing a composed feature methodology' is due for completion in 2017.
Research interests: Practice as Research in the arts encompassing Music composition; music and narrative, creative process, co-operation and collaboration, voice and embodiment.
- Perry, N., 2013. The universal language of lullabies. BBC News. Available from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21035103.
- Perry, N., 2011. Spirit of the Beehive BBC Blog. Available from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio4/2011/09/nina_perry_on_spirit_of_the_be.html.
- 'Tommies' BBC Radio 4 - BBC Radio Drama (composer) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04l902x, 2014. Radio.
- Soul Journeying - a poetic exploration of ageing and dementia (composer) produced by Verd de gris http://www.verddegris.org/project/soul-journey/, 2014. Film. Verd de gris.
- Faces of War (sound designer) http://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2013/mar/15/iconic-faces-iraq-war-pictures, 2013. Other.
- Perry, N.. Wax and Yarn. Music. Spitalfields Market London. 2013.
- Perry, N.. Stories Through Sound - Scenes from Nina Perry's composed features performed live by Ireland's leading contemporary music ensemble Crash Ensemble - A Sounds Alive event, supported by Broadcast Authority of Ireland.. Sound and Music. Spiegeltent - Dublin Tiger Fringe. 2015.
- Perry, N. and Keane, D., 2016. As Many Leaves. Published online.
- Perry, N., 2016. Knickerbocker Glory. Published online.
- Perry, N., 2013. A Song of Bricks and Mortar. Published.
- Perry, N., 2013. A Spring Clean Symphony. Published.
- Perry, N., 2011. Spirit of the Beehive. Published.
- Perry, N., 2011. Supermarket Symphony. Published.
- Perry, N., 2009. Melting Point. Published.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Unit Leader Cross Platform Practice (2014-2015) - Masters Framework
- Advanced Radio Production (2014-17)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Working in the media industry - BA Media Production 2014-15
- Radio Industry Perspective 2016 - 18
- Composition and Arrangement BSc Music Production (2014)
- Audio Production BA Media Production (2014-15)
- Unit Leader Fiction - BA Media Production (2014-15) Lecturer Audio Fiction
- Unit Leader Developing Concepts for Radio - BA Radio (2016- 2018)
- Unit Leader The Graduate Project - BA Radio (2015 -18)
- Radio Feature Making at UCL - Open City Docs
- London International Documentary Festival - In the Dark - Melting Point
- BBC Current Affairs - composed feature making
- Sussex University - Music and Media - my professional practice in Sound Design, Music Composition and Radio Production.
- IRCAM Paris - Melting Point - Phonurgia Nova
- Goldsmiths University - Institute for Creative and Cultural Entrepreneurship - Creative Co-ops
- Westminster University - composed feature making
- Wax and Yarn (PRS Foundation, 01 Jan 2013). Awarded
- Melting Point (Arts Council England, 01 Jan 2009). Awarded
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Open City Documentary Festival - The Dark Room with In the Dark - Advising on work in progress audio documentaries
- Judge for Ivor Novello Awards
- Judge for BBC Audio Drama Awards
- Ivor Novello Awards, Judge. BASCA
- BBC Audio Drama Awards, Judge. BBC
- Introduction to Voice/Voice and Movement/Advanced Voice
- PGCE in Educational Practice (2016)
- BA (Hons) in Performance Arts (Middlesex University, 1993)
- MA in Composing for Film and Television (Kingston Univeristy, 2002)
- BBC Radio Drama Composer in Residence (BBC, 2002)
- Winner of the Short Doc Dollar Storey Competition (Third Coast International Audio Festival, 2007)
- Arts Council Grants for the Arts Award (Arts Council England/National Lottery Fund, 2009)
- PRSF Women Make Music Award for 'Wax and Yarn' (PRS Foundation for Music, 2013)
- Winner of the Phonurgia Nova Award 2010 (Phonurgia Nova, 2011)
- British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors, Member,
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow,
- Performing Rights Society, Member,
- 'How Sound' Podcast for Transom and PRX, Discussion on my interviewing for WNYC's inaugural episode of 'More Pefect'. http://transom.org/2016/doorstepping-uninvited-interview/