Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Philip Alford is a small business marketing specialist. His particular interest lies in investigating and improving the ways in which technology can support more innovative and entrepreneurial marketing among small businesses. Within this remit, a specific focus lies in how small business owners and entrepreneurs can leverage online marketing analytics to enable more agile and responsive marketing. He currently holds visiting lectureships at ESSEC Business School in France and the Management Centre Innsbruck in Austria. Non-academic appointments include being a Board member of VisitWiltshire and chairing its Online Marketing Group which informs overall online strategy. Philip has been recently appointed joint co-ordinator of the Digital Tourism Network Steering Group formed by the European Commission with a remit to enhancing innovation through digitalisation of Europe's SME tourism sector.
- Alford, P. and Duan, Y., 2018. Understanding collaborative innovation from a dynamic capabilities perspective. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 30 (6).
- Alford, P. and Page, S.J., 2015. Marketing technology for adoption by small business. SERVICE INDUSTRIES JOURNAL, 35 (11-12), 655-669.
- Liu, Y., Duan, Y., Fu, Z. and Alford, P., 2012. An empirical study on behavioural intention to reuse e-learning systems in rural China. British Journal of Educational Technology, 43 (6), 933-948.
- Alford, P. and Clarke, S., 2009. Information technology and tourism a theoretical critique. Technovation, 29, 580-587.
- Alford, P., 2006. Global Distribution Systems. Travel & Tourism Analyst, May, 1-46.
- Alford, P., 2005. Destination Marketing. Travel & Tourism Analyst, April, 1-54.
- Davidson, R., Alford, P. and Seaton, T., 2002. The use of information and communications technology by the European meetings, incentives, conferences and exhibitions (MICE) sectors. Journal of Convention and Exhibition Management, 4, 17-36.
- Seaton, A.V. and Alford, P., 2001. Technology by the Book: BookTownNet and SME Cultural Tourism Networks. J. of IT & Tourism, 4, 107-121.
- Alford, P., 2001. eCRM in the Travel Industry. Travel & Tourism Analyst, 57-76.
- Alford, P., 2000. E-Business Models In The Travel Industry. Travel & Tourism Analyst, 67-86.
- Alford, P., 1999. Database Marketing In Travel And Tourism. Travel & Tourism Analyst, 87-104.
- Alford, P., 1998. Positioning the Destination Product-Can Regional Tourist Boards Learn from Private Sector Practice? Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 7, 53-68.
- Karcher, K. and Alford, P., 2008. Tiscover: Destination management system pioneer. In: Egger, R. and Buhalis, D., eds. eTourism case studies: Management and marketing issues in eTourism. Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann, 233-242.
- Alford, P., 2008. Open Space – a collaborative process for facilitating Tourism IT partnerships. In: O Connor, P., Höpken, W. and Gretzel, U., eds. Information and communication technologies in Tourism 2008: Proceedings of the International Conference in Innsbruck, Austria, 2008. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer, 430-440.
- Alford, P., 2005. A Framework for Mapping and Evaluating Business Process Costs in the Tourism Industry Supply Chain. In: Frew, A., ed. Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism 2005 Proceedings of the International Conference in Innsbruck, Austria, 2005. Springer, 125-136.
- Alford, P., 2004. Critical Theory -- An Alternative Solution to IT Planning Implementation Problems in Tourism. In: Frew, A.J., ed. ENTER 11: Information & Communication Technologies in Tourism Conference 2004: Proceedings of the International Conference in Cairo, Egypt, 2004. Vienna, Austria: Springer, 271-282.
- Alford, P., 2002. Modelling a Virtual Organisation in the Travel Industry. In: Wober, K., Frew, A. and Hitz, M., eds. Information & Communication Technologies in Tourism 2002: Proceedings of the International Conference in Innsbruck, Austria, 2002. Vienna, Austria: Springer, 126-135.
- Alford, P. and Karcher, K., 2001. The Endeavour Extranet: Building and Managing a B2B e-Community in the British and Irish Leisure Travel Industry. In: Sheldon, P., Wober, K. and Fesenmaier, D., eds. Information & Communication Technologies in Tourism 2001: Proceedings of the International Conference in Montreal, Canada, 2001. Vienna, Austria: Springer, 176-186.
- Alford, P., 1999. The impact of technology on tourism marketing, e-commerce and database marketing. In: Vellas, F. and Becherel, L., eds. The international marketing of travel and tourism: A strategic approach. Basingstoke, England: Macmillan, 111-118.
- Invitation from the Director of the Zillertal Tourism School to present to an audience of tourism teachers from across Austria on the use of the Google Online Marketing Challenge in teaching digital marketing. Slides available at: http://www.slideshare.net/DigitalHub/the-google-online-marketing-challenge-in-teaching-presentation-at-the-zillertal-tourism-school-october-2014. Brochure for event available at: http://www.slideshare.net/DigitalHub/digital-marketing-in-tourism-workshop-october-2014-at-zillertal-tourism-school-austria?related=1
- University of Ulster, Ulster Business School. Slides available at http://www.slideshare.net/DigitalHub/accounting-for-spend-in-the-digital-age-presentation-at-university-of-ulster. Brochure for the event available at: http://www.slideshare.net/DigitalHub/accounting-for-marketing-spend-in-the-digital-age
- Cross national skills development of SMEs in the tourism industry (European Commission EACEA Erasmus+, 24 Oct 2017). Awarded
- Digital Destinations: Exchanging Digital Technology Knowledge in Local Tourism Economies (ESRC, 21 Aug 2012). Completed
- Funding for PhD Scholarships (Amateurs Trust, 04 Jul 2011). In Progress
- Digital Marketing short course programme for rural tourism SMEs (I.C.H. Global Education, 02 Feb 2009). Completed
- European Commission Digital Tourism Network Steering Group, Steering Group Coordinator (2015-2016), http://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/tourism/support-business/digital/index_en.htm
- The learning destination: Developing productive relationships between higher education and destination management, Digital Destinations, 9 October 2012, New Forest