Dr Paula Callus
- 01202 965865
- pcallus at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Computer Animation
- Weymouth House W249, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Back to top
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
- Callus, P. and Potter, C., 2017. Video Michezo Nairobi’s gamers and the developers that are promoting local content. Critical African Studies.
- Callus, P., 2015. Animation, fabrication, photography: Reflections upon the intersecting practices of sub-Saharan artists within the moving image. African Arts, 48 (3), 58-69.
- Callus, P., 2013. Animating Difference: Race, Gender, and Sexuality in Contemporary Films for Children. ANIMATION-AN INTERDISCIPLINARY JOURNAL, 8 (3), 301-304.
- Callus, P., 2013. Book review: Animating Difference: Race, Gender, and Sexuality in Contemporary Films for Children. Animation: an interdisciplinary journal, 8 (3), 301-304.
- Callus, P., 2012. Reading Animation through the Eyes of Anthropology: A Case Study of sub-Saharan African Animation. Animation: an interdisciplinary journal, 7 (2), 113-130.
- Callus, P., 2010. Animation as a socio-political commentary: an analysis of the animated films of Congolese director Jean Michel Kibushi. Journal of African Media Studies, 2, 55-71.
- Callus, P., 2016. Animation in Morocco: New Generations. Animation in the Middle East: Practice and Aesthetics from Baghdad to Casablanca. London: I.B. tauris.
- Callus, P., 2016. The Rise of Kenyan Political Animation: Tactics of Subversion. In: Tejumola, O. and Limb, P., eds. Taking African Cartoon Art Seriously: Satire, Politics and Culture. East Lansing, MI: Michigan State University Press.
- Callus, P., 2010. Reflections on animation… An interview by Paula Callus with J.M. Kibushi. Through African Eyes: Conversations with the Directors. New York: African Film Festival Inc.
- Callus, P., 2015. The Rise of Kenyan Political Animation: Tactics of Subversion. In: ASA (African Studies Association) 19-24 November 2014 Indianapolis, US.
- Callus, P., 2014. Sub-Saharan Animation: The Internet as a Living Digital Archive. In: "Arts Council of the African Studies Association 19-22 March 2014 USA, New York.
- Callus, P., 2010. Reading animation through the eyes of anthropology. In: ACUB Animation Symposium 30 March 2010.
- Callus, P., 2010. Sub-Saharan Africa Animation: Cases of Subversivity. In: SOAS, University of London Anthropology of Media Seminar 3 February 2010 SOAS, London.
- Efstathiou, S. and Callus, P., 2010. Using animation as a tool in Primary School Education - Greek Mythology. In: Using animation as a tool in Primary School Education - Greek Mythology June 2010 Hillview Primary School, Bournemouth, England.
- Callus, P., 2009. An Overview of the History of African Animation. In: A3 Genesis, Kenya , Association of Animation Artistes Kenya 15 August 2009 British Council, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Callus, P., 2009. Aspects of Sub-Saharan Animation. In: Guest Lecture for Aspects of African Film and Video 17 March 2009 SOAS, London.
- Esthathiou, S. and Callus, P., 2009. Using animation as a tool in Primary School Education. In: Animation as a tool in Primary School Education March-April 2009 Hillview Primary School, Bournemouth, England.
- Callus, P., 2008. African Animation - Overview and Workshops. In: Africa at the Pictures, London African Film Festival 7 December 2008 The October Gallery, Holborn, London.
- Callus, P., 2008. Guest Speaker on African Animation. In: Cambridge African Film Festival 22 November 2008 Centre of African Studies, Cambridge, England.
- Callus, P., 2008. African Animation Screenings - Children's Programme and Adult Programme. In: Curated Screenings for Africa in Motion, Film Festival, Edinburgh 31 October 2008 FilmHouse, Edinburgh, Scotland. Africa In Motion.
- Callus, P. and Esthathiou, S., 2008. Using Animation as a learning tool in Primary Education. In: Using Animation as a learning tool in Primary Education 2008 Hillview Primary School, Bournemouth, England.
- Callus, P., 2017. Animating the DRC: Interview with Congolese Animator Jean-Michel Kibushi. Documentary Educational Resources. Available from: http://www.der.org/community/news.php.
- Callus, P., 2008. Creative Comment and Critique: Animation filmmaking in Africa. Africa in Motion. Available from: http://www.africa-in-motion.org.uk/category/resources/articles/.
- Callus, P., 2016. Animation in Sub-Saharan Africa: Trajectories of Ideas and Practices. PhD Thesis. Art and Archeology Department, SOAS, University of London.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Personal Inquiry
- Computer Animation Techniques
- Moving Image Theory and Practice
Profile of Teaching UG
- Computer Animation Specialist Production
- Computer Animation Arts Specialist Production
- Major Project and Report
- Aesthetic and Techniques
- Moving Image Theory 2
- Moving Image Theory 1
- African Studies Seminar
- PoW Design Futures Symposium, Tactical Narratives in Digital Media, 28 November 2015, London College of Fashion
- Design Futures in Sub-Saharan Africa: Post-Western Perspectives, TACTICS OF TRANSGRESSION COMPLICITY AND AUTONOMY IN THE MOVING IMAGE, 28 November 2015, London College of Fashion
- London Film and Media Conference, 2013, 29 June 2013, University of London
- ACASA March 2014 (Arts Council of African Studies Association, New York), 19 March 2014, Brooklyn Museum
- ASA November 2014 (African Studies Association, Indianapolis), 19 November 2014, Indianapolis, US
- BA (Hons) in Communications and Psychology (University of Malta, 1995)
- MA in Computer Animation (Bournemouth University, 2001)
- MA in Anthropology of Media (SOAS, University of London, 2005)
- PhD in Art and Archeology (SOAS, University of London, 2016)
The data on this page was last updated at 04:06 on June 25, 2017.