Dr Pawel Surowiec
- 01202 965236
- psurowiec at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer
- Weymouth House W441, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am Senior Lecturer at the Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University and Research Fellow at Charles University in Prague (2014-2016). My work focuses on the interplay between global governance, media and public opinion. I am interested in social theory approaches to the analysis of relationships between European politics, media and, particularly, propaganda practice.
Following completion of my PhD, its updated version has been published by Routledge under the title of ‘Nation branding, public relations and soft power: corporatising of Poland’. My next book, co-edited with Dr Václav Štětka (Loughborough University), will be a collection of essays analyzing the role of social media in politics in Central and Eastern Europe, and it has been contracted by Routledge in the ‘Contemporary Russia and Eastern Europe’ series.
In my lecturing and research, I am intrigued by questions relating to the re-invention of propaganda (e.g. public relations, public diplomacy, and cultural diplomacy), its colonization of new social spaces, particularly in the context of diplomacy and international relations... In my professional life, I merge the above research interests with lecturing, professional research and consultancy.
I acted as a visiting scholar at Sorbonne IV in Paris and at other European universities. I also delivered lectures to diplomats and public diplomats in Warsaw and London.
In 2016, I was elected to the ECREA's executive board and I serve as its Treasurer.
I am interested in supervising PhD students in the broad areas of: political communication, soft power and public diplomacy, political economy of communication and media, post-communist transition and collective identities, and global governance. If you'd like to discuss research proposal, please get in touch.
Apart from lecturing and researching I enjoy running and good music: I am a member of the Bournemouth Athletic Club and I like to listen to Richard Wagner and Polish Jazz.more
Ongoing research projects include:
1. Hybridization in soft power and public diplomacy (with Philip Long): this project focuses on the nature of changes accompanying the governance of soft power capabilities. In particular, the study focuses on the ways in public diplomacy merges with marketing, the interplay between traditional and digital media technologies in the practice of public diplomacy and new forms governance underpinning capabilities of soft power.
2. Comparative study of social media strategies used by political parties in the 2013 Czech elections and the 2015 elections in Poland (with Václav Štětka and Jaromír Mazăk). Rooted in ongoing debate on the impact of new media on political campaigning and democratic engagement we examine how social media shapes dynamics of electoral campaigning.
3. Social media and politics in Central and Eastern Europe (with Václav Štětka): this project explores how social media are increasingly revolutionising the ways in which political communication works, and their importance for engaging citizens in politics and public affairs. This book project examines current developments in social media and politics in a range of Central and Eastern European countries, including Russia.
4. Digital diplomacy and soft power in the post Brexit Europe (in development): a comparative study of two states’ statecraft and ways in which digital media technology shapes: a) strategic narratives of public diplomacy; b) institutional changes and changes to the practice of diplomatic; c) civic-ness and engagement with foreign affairs.
Political communication, political public relations, statecraft and governance of soft power, political economy of media and communication, post-communist transition, global governance
- Surowiec, P., 2018. Between Europeanization and corporatization: reinventing Poland’s soft power. International journal of communication (in review).
- Surowiec, P., 2017. Solidarność: PR-opagandized politics of ‘dissent’ and ‘protest’. European journal of communication (under review).
- Koc-Michalska, K., Lilleker, D.G., Surowiec, P. and Baranowski, P., 2014. Poland's 2011 online election campaign: new tools, new professionalism, new ways to win votes. Journal of information technology and politics, 11 (2), 186-205.
- Surowiec, P., 2012. Public relations in global cultural contexts: multi-paradigmatic perspectives. Corporate communications: an international journal, 17 (4), 514-516.
- Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., 2017. Social media and politics in Central and Eastern Europe. London: Routledge.
- Surowiec, P., 2016. Nation branding, public relations and soft power: corporatising Poland. Routledge.
- Štětka, V. and Surowiec, P., 2017. Conclusions. In: Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., eds. Social media and politics in Central and Eastern Europe. London: Routledge.
- Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., 2017. Introduction: social media, politics and democracy in the post-transition Central and Eastern Europe. In: Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., eds. Social media and politics in Central and Eastern Europe. London: Routledge.
- Surowiec, P. and Kania-Lundholm, M., 2017. Branding Poland online: propagating and resisting nation branding on Facebook. In: Surowiec, P. and Štětka, V., eds. Social media and politics in Central and Eastern Europe. London: Routledge.
- Szondi, G. and Surowiec, P., 2016. Crisis communication research in Central and Eastern Europe. In: Schwartz, A., Seeger, M. and Auer, C., eds. The handbook of international crisis communication research. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Koc-Michalska, K., Lilleker, D. and Surowiec, P., 2013. Participation in-media not across media: how the politically engaged use the web for political participation in Poland. In: Charles, A., ed. Media/democracy: a comparative study. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 81-103.
- Surowiec, P., 2012. Towards corpo-nationalism: Poland as a brand. In: Kaneva, N., ed. Branding post-communist nations: marketizing national identities in ‘new’ Europe. New York: Routledge, 124-144.
- Surowiec, P. and Long, P., 2016. Continuities and discontinuities in Britain’s strategic soft power narratives: the ‘GREAT’ campaign analysis. In: 6th European Communication Conference 9-12 November 2016 Charles University, Prague, the Czech Republic.
- Surowiec, P., 2016. Branding Poland online: propagating and resisting nation branding on Facebook. In: 19th International Public Relations Research Conference 2-6 March 2016 Miami.
- Surowiec, P., 2016. Nation branding, public relations and soft power: corporatizing Poland. In: the 4th Congress of the Polish Communication Association 15-17 September 2016 Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań.
- Surowiec, P., 2015. Social media and democracy in Central and Eastern Europe (panel). In: ECREA CEE Network Conference, The digital media challenge 12-14 June 2015 Zagreb, Croatia.
- Surowiec, P., 2015. Between Europeanization and corporatization: reinventing Poland’s soft power. In: Paper presented at the ECREA Political Communication Section conference, 27 August 2015-28 June 2016 University of Southern Denmark, Odense.
- Surowiec, P., 2013. Solidarność: PR-propaganda of Polish workers’ movement as a struggle for representation. Majority’s or minority’s ‘silent scream’ for changes? In: the Political Studies Association’s Media and Politics Group annual conference 13-14 November 2013 Bournemouth University, Bournemouth.
- Lilleker, D., Koc-Michalska, K. and Surowiec, P., 2012. Broadcasting to the masses or building communities: Polish political parties online communication during the 2011 election. In: ECPR Joint Sessions of Workshops 2012 10-15 April 2012 University of Antwerp, Belgium.
- Koc-Michalska, K., Lilleker, D. and Surowiec, P., 2012. Talking to the politically engaged: exploring the Polish electoral blogosphere. In: XXII World Congress of Political Science, International Political Science Association 8 July-12 June 2012 Madrid.
- Michalska-Koc, K., Lilleker, D., Surowiec, P. and Baranowski, P., 2012. Poland’s 2011 elections: new tools, new professionalism, new ways to win votes. In: the Political Studies Association’s Media and Politics Group annual conference 1 June-2 November 2012 University of Bedfordshire, Luton.
- Koc-Michalska, K., Lilleker, D. and Surowiec, P., 2012. Broadcasting to the masses or building communities: Polish political parties’ online communication during the 2011 election. In: Parties and Campaigning in the Digital Era 10-15 April 2012 University of Antwerp, Belgium.
- Shanley, K. and Surowiec, P., 2011. Towards diaspora diplomacy: decentralising Polish public diplomacy and civic campaigning overseas. In: the Political Studies Association annual conference 2-3 November 2011 Bournemouth University, Bournemouth.
- Surowiec, P., 2010. Rethinking national images management: from propaganda to nation branding. Towards an alternative archaeology of knowledge. In: the History of public relations conference 9 July 2010-11 July 2016 Bournemouth University, Bournemouth.
- Surowiec, P., 2010. ‘Freedom '89: Made in Poland': public diplomacy as a tool for official representation of history. In: the 3rd ECREA conference 12-15 October 2010 University of Hamburg, Germany.
- Surowiec, P., 2007. The new Polish conservative government (2005- ), its media coverage in the British press and implications for perception of Poland as a country. In: Media and politics conference 27-28 April 2007 Łódź, Poland.
- Michael William Latto (supervising with Prof. Kerstin Stutterheim) (Working title: Culture, identity and political landscapes in Ukrainian films)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Diplomacy and International Relations
Profile of Teaching UG
- Research Immagination
- Global Current Affairs
- Reputation Management
- International Relations
- The Centre for Citizenship, Globalization and Governance, Southampton University
- Institute of Journalism, Media and Social Communication, Jagiellonian University
- De Montfort University, Leicester
- Social movements and global citizenship (University of Catania, Italy)
- Erasmus Exchange Visiting Scholar (Sorbonne IV, CELSA, France)
- The role of social media in transformation of political communication and citizen participation (The Czech Science Foundation, 01 Jan 2014). Awarded
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- The Media Policy Project, LSE
- Polish-British Belvedere Forum (Warsaw, 2017)
- Corporatizing governance of soft power (Polish Embassy, London)
- Branding in public diplomacy and soft power (Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Warsaw)
- PhD in Sociology of International Political Communication (Bournemouth University, 2012)
- PGCE in Higher Education (Bournemouth University, 2009)
- MA in International Relations (Wrocław University, 2003)
- European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA), Treasurer,
- Higher Education Association (HEA), Member,
- International Communication Association (ICA), Public Diplomacy Interest Group, Member,
- Media, Communications and Cultural Studies Association (MeCCSA), Member,
- PolCoRe, Political Communication Research Group, Member,