Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I have been recently appointed as Global Engagement Lead for the Department of Nursing and Clinical Sciences. This builds on my previous experience as a member of the University International Task Force. I maintain a strong interest in Global Education with a particular emphasis on education centred on social aspects of living with dementia . My international experience includes working as a member of the Erasmus Mundus POSADEM (POSitive About DEMentia) collaboration with universities from the Netherlands, Austria, Finland and Eire . have also been part of a delegation to visit Renmin University in Beijing and the Jockey Club Center for Positive Aging in Hong Kong.
My professional background is District Nursing and I contribute to the work of the Royal College of Nursing Education Forum on community nursing related issues.
My current research focuses on social inclusion of people with dementia. This manifests in the 'Not Out' Cage Cricket project in association with Dementia Friendly Hampshire and Cage4All.
- Liu, S., Fisher, R. and Innes, A., 2016. Evaluating the impact of an end-of-life dementia care training workshop in Dorset. European Journal of Palliative Care, 23 (2), 74-77.
- Fisher, R., 2012. Safe from the start. Nurs Stand, 26 (49), 64.
- Fisher, R., 2012. Safe from the start: Collaboration between teachers and practitioners is improving students’ safety knowledge. Nursing Standard Aug 8th, vol 26 no 49 p 64 RCN Publishing, 26 (49), 64.
- Fisher, R., 2010. Nurse prescribing: A vehicle for improved collaboration, or a stumbling block to inter-professional working? International Journal of Nursing Practice, 16, 579-585.
- Fisher, R., 2009. Relationships in nurse prescribing: revealing the processes. British Journal of Community Nursing, 14, 518-522.
- Fisher, R., 2005. Relationships in nurse prescribing in district nursing practice in England: A preliminary investigation. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 11, 102-107.
- Fisher, R., 2004. District nurses: relationships in nurse prescribing. British journal of community nursing, 9, 416-419.
- Fisher, R., 2012. Social Work With Older People: Approaches To Person-Centred Practice. In: Hall, B. and Scragg, T., eds. Social Work With Older People: Approaches To Person-Centred Practice. Open University Press.
- Fisher, R., 2009. Multi-professional practice in primary care nursing. In: McCray, J., ed. Nursing and multi-professional practice. London: Sage, 33-48.
- Fisher, R. and Hicks, B., 2017. How does Cage Cricket enhance the perceived life experience of people with dementia and their care partners? In: Alzheimer Europe 31 October-2 November 2016 Copenhagen Denmark.
- Johnson, M., Heaslip, V., Nordberg, D., Fisher, R. et al., 2016. Positive About Dementia (POSADEM): A pan-European Erasmus project to develop a multi-disciplinary Masters programme in Dementia. In: 26th Alzheimer Europe Conference "Excellence in Dementia reasearch and care" 31 October-2 November 2016 Copnhagen, Denmark.
- Fisher, R., 2009. Negotiating the prescribing role: District Nurses reveal strategies for managing conflict. In: RCN International Nursing Research Conference: Celebrating 50 years of nursing research: looking back, moving forward 24-27 March 2009 Cardiff, Wales.
- Fisher, R., Borwell, J. and Hoyle, E.. Effective Partnership Working for Patient Safety Education. In: Networking for Education in Healthcare(NET) 5-8 September 2011 Cambridge University.
- Fisher, R.. September 2010 Concurrent paper “Moving beyond ‘naïve functionalism’: Developing an analytical framework to guide an explanation of relationships between professional players in primary care: the case of Nurse Prescribers.”. In: 8th International Qualitative Research Conference. 6-8 September 2010 Bournemouth University.
- Fisher, R.. Service Improvement: Introducing Patient Safety to undergraduate Nursing Students : Challenges and achievements. In: 9th Guanghua International Nursing Conference 25-26 October 2012 Central Hall, Westminster, London.
- Dementia programme (Gracewell Health Care, 16 Jan 2013). Completed
- University of Hertfordshire, External Examiner (2014-2017)
- Royal College of Nursing, Education Forum Steering Committee Member (2010-), http://www.rcn.org.uk/development/communities/rcn_forum_communities/education
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- POSADEM - developing a European PG programme about being positive about dementia
- RGN Certificate in Registered General Nurse (English National Board / Royal Naval School of Nursing, 1984)
- Diploma in District Nursing (English National Board/ Portsmouth Polytechnic, 1987)
- PG Cert in Education of Adults (University of Surrey, 1992)
- BA (Hons) in Public Sector Health Studies (Portsmouth Polytechnic, 1991)
- MSc in Social Research (University of Surrey, 1995)
- PhD in Sociology (Brunel University, 2008)
- Royal College of Nursing (Committee Member), Member,