Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Swrajit is a registered public health nutritionist with the association for nutrition (UKVRN), and Program Lead for BSc(Hons.) Nutrition at Bournemouth University, a member of the Nutrition Society, a full member of the Royal Society of Biology and chartered biologist (CBiol), chartered scientist (CSci) and fellow of the Royal Society of Public Health (RSPH). His educational background includes a BSc (H) in Biosciences: Medical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology , Masters by Research (MRes) in Public Health Nutrition and a three year doctoral programme in Public Health Nutrition. Previous to his current role at Bournemouth University, he was working as an associate senior lecturer in food and nutrition at Leeds Trinity University and he was a lecturer of nutritional sciences at the University of Central Lancashire. He has also worked as an associate of access and widening participation unit and part-time Lecturer of the University of Greenwich. His key research has been in the field of non-communicable diseases risk identification among south Asian Communities living in the United Kingdom, although he has a broader interest in nutrition-related non-communicable diseases (NR-NCDs) in developing countries and the impact of the nutrition transition on NCD prevalence among migrants from developing countries into developed countries... He is a member of the Africa Nutrition Society (ANS) and have assisted the ANS in organising the African Nutrition Epidemiology Conferences (ANEC) in Kenya and South Africa.more
- Sarkar, S., Ellahi, B., Zotor, F.B. and Amuna, P., 2017. Decreasing Physical Activity Levels across Religious Sikh Male South Asian Migrant Population in Kent, UK: A Public Health Concern. Journal of Health Management, 19 (4), 1-14.
- Hopkin, T.J. and Sarkar, S., 2016. Sedentary Behavior of White Collar Office Workers-Review. EC Nutrition, 3 (6), 726-736.
- Ellahi, B., Annan, R., Sarkar, S., Amuna, P. and Jackson, A.A., 2015. Building systemic capacity for nutrition: Training towards a professionalised workforce for Africa. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 74 (4), 496-504.
- Sarkar, S., Amuna, P., Zotor, F.B., Ndanu, T., Tetteh, J. and Harbige, L.S., 2013. Relationship Between Energy Intake, Body Composition And Risk Of Hypertension In An Adult Male Punjabi Migrant Population In Kent, Uk. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, 63, 1372.
- Amuna, P., Sarkar, S., Zotor, F.B., Ndanu, T.T., Tetteh, J. and Harbige, L.S., 2013. Evidence Of The Nutrition Transition In An Adult Male Punjabi Population In Medway, Kent United Kingdom. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, 63, 1778.
- Amuna, P., Acharya, O., Zotor, F.B., Chaudhary, P. and Sarkar, S., 2012. Maternal pre-pregnancy nutritional status, pregnancy weight gain and Incidence of Low Birth Weight in Nepal. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 71, E197.
Profile of Teaching UG
- L5 - Research Methodologies 2
- L6 - Research Project
- L6 - Nutritional Requirements Throughout Life
- L5 - Nutrition in Health and Disease
- L4 - Principles of Food and Nutrition
- Nutrition Analysis Software (Leeds Trinity University, 01 Jan 2016). Completed
- Assessment of sodium, potassium, iodine, and creatinine levels in Moroccan adults: a pilot study - (British Council, 01 Jan 2015). Completed
- Sodium (Na) content of South Asian recipes commonly consumed in the United Kingdom: A risk for hypertension? (University of Greenwich, 01 Jan 2012). Completed
- Development of Glycemic Index Reference Guide from Composite recipes Targeted at Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients of South Asian Background living in the United Kingdom Travel Grant (University of Greenwich, 01 Jan 2010). Completed
- Analysis of protein and mineral content of dark brewed cocoa drinks: possible benefits for cardiovascular health. (African Nutrition Society, 01 Jan 2007). Completed
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Diabetes Spring Conference
- Diabetes Education and Research day
- UCLan first living with diabetes day
- Diabetes Awareness Campaign and Scientific meeting
- African Nutrition Epidemiology Conference VI, Dietary sugar and fat intake among South Asian Punjabi, Population- A wake up call for Nutrition Transition., 21 Jul 2014, Ghana
- International Union of Nutritional Sciences, Building nutrition capacity for scaling up nutrition in Africa., 15 Sep 2013, Spain
- International Union of Nutritional Sciences, Nutrition transition in an adult male Punjabi population in Medway, Kent, UK., 15 Sep 2013, Spain
- International Union of Nutritional Sciences, Relationship between energy intake, body composition and risk of hypertension in an adult male Punjabi migrant population in Kent, UK., 15 Sep 2013, Spain
- The Nutrition Congress Africa 2012, Sodium (Na) content of South Asian recipes commonly consumed in the United Kingdom: A risk for hypertension?, 01 Oct 2012, South Africa
- Nutrition Society Summer Meeting Theme:Translational nutrition: integrating research, practice and policy., Maternal pre-pregnancy nutritional status, pregnancy weight gain and Incidence of Low Birth Weight in Nepal., 16 Jun 2012, Northern Ireland
- African Nutriiton Epidemiology Conference (ANEC IV), • Development of Glycemic Index Reference Guide from Composite recipes Targeted at Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients of South Asian Background living in the United Kingdom, 03 Oct 2010, Nairobi, Kenya
- African Nutrition Epidemiology Conference, Analysis of Flavonoid and Vitamin B Content of Cocoa: Possible Therapeutic, 13 Oct 2008, Cairo, Egypt
- African Nutrition Epidemiology Conference (ANEC III), Analysis of protein and mineral content of dark brewed cocoa drinks: possible, 13 Oct 2008, Cairo, Egypt
- PhD in Public Health Nutrition (University of Greenwich, 2014)
- MRes in Public Health Nutrition (University of Greenwich, 2010)
- BSc (Hons) in Medical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (University of Greenwich, 2008)
- Association for Nutrition, Member (2013-), http://www.associationfornutrition.org/
- Nutrition Society, Member (2009-), https://www.nutritionsociety.org/
- Royal Society of Biology, Chartered Biologist (2015-), https://www.rsb.org.uk/
- Royal Society of Public Health, Fellow (2012-), https://www.rsph.org.uk/
- Science Council, Chartered Scientist (2016-), http://sciencecouncil.org/