Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Stephen has been using computer technology in his art practice since 1977 when he was introduced to computer graphics as a graduate student in the Experimental and Electronic Art department of The Slade School of Fine Art, University College London. He came to Bournemouth in 1989 as a Senior Lecturer committed to introducing art and design students to the creative potential of computer programming, joining the team that soon after founded the National Centre for Computer Animation (NCCA). In 1992 he was awarded a PhD for his research, based at the Loughbourough University of Technology Computer Human Interface research unit (LUTCHI), into the characteristics of computer technology used by artists making interactive and participatory works of art
Currently he is Director of the NCCA’s Visual Research Group and is pursuing research into mapping behaviour and the aesthetics of agent-generated abstract behavioural animation and interactive artwork. He teaches and supervises student production and research projects on the NCCA undergraduate and postgraduate courses and supervises PhDs that develop critical animation practice.
- Bell, S. and Thompson, S., 2010. Loss and the Effect of Computer Drawing on Time, Revelation, Iconicity, Authenticity and Morphology in Art Practice. TRACEY Drawing and Visualisation Research.
- Bell, S., 1995. Creative participatory behavior in a programmed world. Leonardo, 28, 171-176.
- Bell, S., 2008. My first brush with computer graphics. In: Brown, P., Gere, C., Lambert, N. and Mason, C., eds. White Heat, Cold Logic: British computer arts 1960-80. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 307-321.
- Beyls, P., Bell, S., Evans, B.L., Hébert, J.-P., Musgrave, F.K. and Verostko, R., 1995. Algorithms and the artist (panel session). ACM, 495-496.
- Bell, S., 2008. Mapping behaviour. The Salon. Study Gallery, Poole, England. November 2008.
- Bell, S.. Clews 2. Interactive video installation. British HCI 2016 Interactions Gallery. 11-15 July 2016.
- Bell, S., Tippett, K., Tippetts, J., Baker, A. and Stevens, P.. Small Journey. Bournemouth, England. 16 July 2010.
- PhD in Participatory Art and Computers (Loughborough University of Technology, 1992)