Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I have both industry and academic experience. After finishing my PhD study, I worked for a leading UK software company, where I was involved in developing statistical software for the pharmaceutical industries and biological research laboratories. Then I worked in the Department of Computer Sciences at Exeter University and the University of Wales (Aberystwyth). Before joining the Faculty of Management, I worked for a UK Government Research Laboratory and in Central Government Department as Senior Statistician/Senior Analyst, where I applied statistical and pattern recognition techniques to solve real and complex problems. I also had a number of years teaching and undertaking research at one of the top Universities in China before coming to the UK.
I received and currently managing three EU funded projects, Erasmus Mundus cLINK (€2.5 million), FUSION (€3.05 million) and EU Marie Curie IRSES RABOT (€310.8K) projects as BU local coordinator/lead investigator. I have also secured £48K on BU PhD matched funds and Staff Networking and Mobility (£9370) as CI.
As BU PI, the recent €2.2 million project, CHARMED (Characterisation of a green microenvironment and to study its impact upon health and well-being in the elderly as a way forward for health tourism), funded under the Horizon 2020 European Commission, aims to address the challenges of digital health tourism for elderly people. In this reserch area, one of my recent published paper received about 100 citations in a short time. In addition to, as CI I have received €0.9 million in funding from the Horizon 2020 European Commission, the title is SMart rObOTs for fire-figHting (SMOOTH) in the disaster management area, this is the EU eight years funding for BU disaster robotics research from FP7 to Horizon 2020.
In terms of publication, I was submitted in RAE 2008 and REF 2014. I published international 4*/3*/2* (according to new ABS list) Journal papers such as European Journal of Operational Research, Decision Support Systems, Expert Systems with Applications, International Journal of Production Economics, International Journal of Tourism Research, Current Issues in Tourism, Tourism Economics and IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics & IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems & Rehabilitation Engineering (impact factor 3.188)... My main research areas are Tourism Study and Digital Healthcare. The techniques such as Data Mining, Artificial Intelligence, Pattern Recognition, Multivariate Statistics, Forecasting, Segmentation and Economic Impact are used in my research.more
- Shamim, S., Cang, S. and Yu, H., 2017. Supervisory orientation, employee goal orientation, and knowledge management among front line hotel employees. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 62, 21-32.
- Asghar, I., Cang, S. and Yu, H., 2017. Assistive technology for people with dementia: an overview and bibliometric study. Health Information and Libraries Journal, 34 (1), 5-19.
- Akbar, M.S., Yu, H. and Cang, S., 2017. IEEE 802.15.4 frame aggregation enhancement to provide high performance in life-critical patient monitoring systems. Sensors (Switzerland), 17 (2).
- Huda, M.N., Yu, H. and Cang, S., 2016. Robots for minimally invasive diagnosis and intervention. Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 41, 127-144.
- Akbar, M.S., Yu, H. and Cang, S., 2016. Delay, Reliability, and Throughput Based QoS Profile: A MAC Layer Performance Optimization Mechanism for Biomedical Applications in Wireless Body Area Sensor Networks. JOURNAL OF SENSORS.
- Huda, M.N., Yu, H. and Cang, S., 2015. Behaviour-based control approach for the trajectory tracking of an underactuated planar capsule robot. IET CONTROL THEORY AND APPLICATIONS, 9 (2), 163-175.
- Chernbumroong, S., Cang, S. and Yu, H., 2015. Maximum relevancy maximum complementary feature selection for multi-sensor activity recognition. Expert Systems with Applications, 42 (1), 573-583.
- Tang, Z., Yu, H. and Cang, S., 2015. Impact of load variation on joint angle estimation from surface EMG signals. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, PP (99).
- Cang, S., Sun, Y. and Li, S., 2014. Impact of Taiwan open policy on Chinese tourist satisfaction. Current Issues in Tourism.
- Chernbumroong, S., Cang, S. and Yu, H., 2014. A practical multi-sensor activity recognition system for home-based care. Decision Support Systems.
- Chernbumroong, S., Cang, S. and Yu, H., 2014. Genetic Algorithm based classifiers fusion for multi-sensor activity recognition of elderly people. IEEE JOURNAL OF BIOMEDICAL AND HEALTH INFORMATICS.
- Lang, F., Zhou, J., Tang, Y.Y., Yu, H., Cang, S. and Shang, Z., 2014. Characteristics analysis of wavelet coefficients and its applications in image compression. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF WAVELETS MULTIRESOLUTION AND INFORMATION PROCESSING, 12 (3).
- Cang, S. and Yu, H., 2014. A combination selection algorithm on forecasting. European Journal of Operational Research, 234 (1), 127-139.
- Liu, X., Chakpitak, N., Pitipong, Y. and Cang, S., 2014. Analysis of intellectual capital disclosure in cross-cultural e-tourism enterprises. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 15 (2).
- Pop, N., Vladareanu, L., Gal, A., Popescu, I.N., Bratu, V., Ghiţǎ, C., Cang, S., Yu, H. and Deng, M., 2014. A numerical dynamic behaviour model for 3D contact problems with friction. Computational Materials Science.
- Yusuf, Y.Y., Gunasekaran, A., Musa, A., Dauda, M., El-Berishy, N.M. and Cang, S., 2014. A relational study of supply chain agility, competitiveness and business performance in the oil and gas industry. International Journal of Production Economics, 147 (PART B), 531-543.
- Lang, F., Zhou, J., Tang, Y.Y., Yu, H., Cang, S. and Shang, Z., 2014. Characteristics analysis of wavelet coefficients and its applications in image compression. International Journal of Wavelets, Multiresolution and Information Processing, 12 (3).
- Vladareanu, V., Schiopu, P., Cang, S. and Yu, H.N., 2014. Reduced base fuzzy logic controller for robot actuators. Applied Mechanics and Materials, 555, 249-258.
- Cang, S., 2014. A comparative analysis of three types of tourism demand forecasting models: Individual, linear combination and non-linear combination. International Journal of Tourism Research, 16 (6), 596-607.
- Samarnggoon, K., Cang, S., Yu, H., Hasan, M.S. and Flamig, T., 2014. Human skill performance to control an underactuated pendulum-driven capsule system. 2014 UKACC International Conference on Control, CONTROL 2014 - Proceedings, 731-736.
- Liu, P., Yu, H. and Cang, S., 2014. Modelling and Control of an Elastically Joint-Actuated Cart-Pole Underactuated System. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 2014 20TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON AUTOMATION AND COMPUTING (ICAC'14), 26-31.
- Cang, S., 2013. A Comparative Analysis of Three Types of Tourism Demand Forecasting Models: Individual, Linear Combination and Non-linear Combination. International Journal of Tourism Research.
- Chernbumroong, S., Cang, S., Atkins, A. and Yu, H., 2013. Elderly activities recognition and classification for applications in assisted living. Expert Systems with Applications, 40 (5), 1662-1674.
- Cang, S. and Yu, H., 2012. Mutual information based input feature selection for classification problems. Decision Support Systems, 54 (1), 691-698.
- Lang, F.N., Zhou, J.L., Cang, S., Yu, H. and Shang, Z., 2012. A self-adaptive image normalization and quaternion PCA based color image watermarking algorithm. Expert Systems with Applications, 39 (15), 12046-12060.
- Lang, F.-N., Zhou, J.-L., Cang, S., Yu, H. and Shang, Z., 2012. A self-adaptive image normalization and quaternion PCA based color image watermarking algorithm. Expert Systems with Applications.
- Cang, S. and Yu, H., 2012. Mutual information based input feature selection for classification problems. Decision Support Systems.
- Liu, Y., Yu, H. and Cang, S., 2012. Modeling and motion control of a double-pendulum driven cart. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I, Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, 226, 175-187.
- Cang, S., 2011. A Nonlinear Tourism Demand Forecast Combination Model. Tourism Economics, 17, 5-20.
- Liu, Y., Yu, H., Vladareanuand, L., Cang, S. and Gao, F., 2011. Trajectory Planning of a Pendulum-Driven Underactuated Cart. Romanian Journal of Technical Sciences, Applied Mechanics, 56.
- Cang, S. and Hemmington, N., 2010. Forecasting UK inbound expenditure by different purposes of visit. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 34, 294-309.
- Cang, S., 2009. Expectation Maximization Algorithm Cluster Analysis for UK National Trust Visitors. Tourism Analysis, 14, 637-650.
- Cang, S., 2005. Novel Probability Neural Network. IEE Proceedings - Vision Image and Signal Processing, 152, 535-544.
- Cang, S. and Partridge, D., 2004. Feature Ranking and Best Feature Subset Using Mutual Information. Neural Computing and Applications, 13, 175-184.
- Yu, H., Reyes, A., Cang, S. and Lloyd, S., 2003. Combined Petri Net Modelling and A.I. Based Heuristic Hybrid Search for Flexible Manufacturing Systems: Part 1 Petri Net Modelling and Heuristic Search. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 44, 527-543.
- Yu, H., Reyes, A., Cang, S. and LIoyd, S., 2003. Combined petri net modelling and AI based heuristic hybrid search for flexible manufacturing systems - part II heuristic hybrid search. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 44, 545-566.
- Dunster, T.M., Paris, R.B. and Cang, S., 1998. On the High-Order Coefficients in the Uniform Asymptotic Expansion for the Incomplete Gamma Function. Methods and Applications of Analysis, 5, 223-247.
- Paris, R.B. and Cang, S., 1997. An Asymptotic Representation for the Riemann Zeta Function on the Critical Line. Methods and Applications of Analysis, 4, 449-470.
- Paris, R.B. and Cang, S., 1997. An Exponentially-Smoothed Gram-Type Formula for the Riemann Zeta Function. Methods and Applications of Analysis, 4, 326-338.
- Cang, S. and Seetaram, N., 2012. Time Series Analysis. In: Dwyer, L., Gill, A. and Seetaram, N., eds. Handbook of Research Methods in Tourism: Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches. Cheltenham, Glos, England: Edward Elgar, 47-70.
- Shamim, S., Cang, S., Yu, H. and Li, Y., 2016. Management approaches for Industry 4.0: A human resource management perspective. 5309-5316.
- Akbar, M.S., Yu, H. and Cang, S., 2016. A holistic simulation model for remote patient monitoring systems using Wireless Body Area Sensor Networks (WBASNs).
- Asghar, I., Cang, S. and Yu, H., 2016. A systematic mapping study on assitive technologies for people with dementia.
- Liu, P., Yu, H. and Cang, S., 2015. On periodically pendulum-diven systems for underactuated locomotion: A viscoelastic jointed model.
- Liu, X., Chakpitak, N., Yodmongkol, P. and Cang, S., 2014. A novel customer knowledge management analysis model: With a case study in hospitality. 101-109.
- Samdantsoodol, A., Cang, S. and Yu, H., 2013. A Structural Equation Model for Predicting Virtual Enterprise and Agile Supply Chain Relation. In: The 19th International Conference on Automation and Computing (ICAC’13) 13-14 September 2013 Brunel University, London, UK.
- Cang, S. and Li, Z., 2013. Segmentation by Motivation of “China Red Tourism". In: The 4th conference of the international association for Tourism Economics 1-4 July 2013 Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Samdantsoodol, A., Cang, S. and Yu, H., 2012. Overview of virtual enterprises in supply chain management. 193-201.
- Cang, S., Sun, Y. and Li, S., 2012. Comparisons of Travel Modes on Mainland China Tourist’ Satisfaction to Taiwan. In: 6th International Conference on Software Knowledge Information Management and Applications 9-11 September 2012 Chengdu, China.
- Syhakhang, Y., Cang, S. and Yu, H., 2012. Web Based Education in Higher Education: Students’ Perspectives towards the Usage of Blackboard Learning System. In: 6th International Conference on Software Knowledge Information Management and Applications 9-11 September 2012 Chengdu, China.
- Li, S., Cang, S. and Hyun, S., 2012. Residents’ Perceptions of the Impact of a Convention Center: A Case of Bexco in Busan, South Korea. In: International Convention and EXPO Summit May 2012 Hong Kong, China.
- Cang, S. and Calver, S.J., 2011. The factors driving leisure repeat visit behaviour at countryside in the United Kingdom. In: The 3rd Conference of the International Association for Tourism Economics 4-7 July 2011 Bournemouth.
- Liu, Y., Yu, H., Vladareanuand, L., Cang, S. and Yang, T.C., 2011. Trajectory Optimization of a Pendulum-Driven Underactuated Cart. In: SISOM 2011 and Session of the Commission of Acoustics 25-26 May 2011 Bucharest, Hungary.
- Cang, S., 2010. Analysis of Impactors on Loyalty using Radial Basis Function Neural Networks Approaches. In: 30th International Symposium on Forecasting Conference 20-23 June 2010 San Diego, USA.
- Cang, S., 2009. A Nonlinear MLP Neural Networks Combination Method for Tourism Demand Forecasts. In: 3rd Advances in Tourism Marketing Conference 6-9 September 2009 Bournemouth University, England.
- Cang, S. and Yu, H., 2008. Overview of Modeling, Scheduling, Planning, and Control Using Petri Net Representation and AI Search. In: Xiu-Tian, Y., Chengyu, J. and Benoit, E., eds. International Conference on Advanced Design and Manufacture (ICADAM) 14-16 January 2008 Sanya, P R China. Springer Verlag, 397-406.
- Cang, S. and Hemmington, N., 2008. UK Inbound Expenditure Analysis by Different Purpose of Visit. In: APTA 2008. 14th Asia Pacific Tourism Association Annual Conference, Tourism & Hospitality in Asia Pacific 9-12 July 2008 Bangkok, Thailand.
- Cang, S. and Yu, H., 2005. A probabilty neural network for continuous and categorical data. 203-208.
- Cang, S. and Yu, H., 2005. A New Approach for Detecting the Best Feature Set. In: ICNSC2005: IEEE Networking, Sensing and Control Conference 19-22 March 2005 Tucson, AZ, USA. IEEE, 74-79.
- Yu, H. and Cang, S., 2005. A New Neural Networks for Continuous and Categorical Variables Inputs. In: 16th IFAC World Congress 4-8 July 2005 Prague. Elsevier.
- Cang, S. and Yu, H., 2004. Cluster Analysis for Multi-class with High-Dimensional Data. In: International Conference of Institute of Automation 2004 UK.
- Yu, H., Gomma, H., Cang, S., Chen, W. and Yusuf, Y., 2004. Reducing bullwhip effect using delayed generalized predictive control (DGPC). IEEE, 1510-1515.
- Cang, S. and Partridge, D., 2002. A Mixture Model of Continuous and Discrete Variables for Trauma Data. In: The IASTED International Conference on Artificial and Computational Intelligence 25-27 September 2002 Tokyo, Japan.
- Cang, S. and Partridge, D., 2002. An Objective Procedure for Bounding the Number of Components in Mixture Models. In: The First International ICSC Congress on Neural Fuzzy Technologies 16-19 January 2002 Capitolio de La Habana, Cuba.
- Cang, S. and Partridge, D., 2002. Analysis of Trauma Missing Data. In: CASIA: Annual Conference on Automation and Information Technology and the 8th Annual Conference of Chinese Automation and Computer Society in the UK 19-20 September 2002 Beijing, China.
- Partridge, D. and Cang, S., 2002. Revealing Feature Interactions in Classification Tasks. In: HIS 2002:The Second International Conference on Hybrid Intelligent Systems 1-4 December 2002 Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile.
- Cang, S. and Partridge, D., 2001. Determining the Number of Components in Mixture Models Using Williams’ Statistical Test. In: ICONIP 2001: 8th International Conference on Neural Information Processing 14-18 November 2001 Shanghai, China.
- Ikram Asghar (Impact of Assistive Technologies in Supporting People with Dementia)
- Pree Thiengburanathum (A Route Recommendation System for Tourists in IoT Environment)
- Kamrul Islam (Tourism Demand Forecasting with Big Data Analytics)
- Xuelian Liu (Completed PhD External Supervision) (Cross-Culture Intellectual Capital for E-Tourism Enterprises in Western China)
- Nazmul Huda (Completed PhD) (Design, Analysis and Trajectory Tracking Control of Underactuated Mobile Capsule Robots)
- Saisakul Chernbumroong (Completed PhD) (Multi-Sensor Activity Recognition and Classification for Assisted Living)
Profile of Teaching PG
- MSc Sustainable Tourism Planning
- Critical Issues in Tourism Development and Planning
- Quantitative Methods Tutorial
- Research Methods
- SMart rObOTs for fire-figHting (SMOOTH) (European Commission, 01 Mar 2017). Awarded
- CHARMED-Characterisation of a green microenvironment and to study its impact upon health and well-being in the elderly as a way forward for health tourism (European Commission, 01 Jan 2017). Awarded
- Featured eUrope and South asIa mObility Network (European Commission, 15 Jul 2013). In Progress
- Promoting BU Research and Education Visibility in Asia Countries (Bournemouth University, 01 Feb 2013). In Progress
- Centre of Excellence for Learning, Innovation, Networking and Knowledge (European Commission, 15 Jul 2012). In Progress
- RABOT— Real-Time Adaptive Networked Control of Rescue (European Commission, 01 Jul 2012). In Progress
- PG Cert in Research Degree Supervision (Bournemouth, 2011)
- PG Cert in Education Practice (Bournemouth, 2010)
- PG Cert in Computer Software (Liverpool, 1997)
- BSc (Hons) in Mathematics (First Class) (Heilongjiang, China, 1985)
- MSc in Mathematics (Distinction) (London, 1993)
- PhD in Applied Mathematics (Dundee, 1997)
- High Education Academy, Fellow,
- Higher Education Academy Board, Fellow of Higher Education Academy (2010-),