Dr Shahin Rostami
- 01202 962403
- srostami at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer in Computing
- Poole House P427, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr. Shahin Rostami is a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Computational Intelligence within the Department of Computing and Informatics at the Bournemouth University, where he has been a faculty member since 2014.
Dr. Rostami holds a Ph.D. in the field of Computational Intelligence with applications to Concealed Weapon Detection. His research interests lie within the areas of Computational Intelligence and Machine Learning, ranging from theory to their application to complex real-world problems. He has published in many high-impact journals and conferences, organised and chaired special sessions, and reviewed for many journals and conferences. He also leads the Computational Intelligence Research Initiative (CIRI), and currently supervises 5 Ph.D. and 3 Ms.c. students in related subjects.
Dr. Rostami is the Programme Leader for MS.c. Applied Data Analytics (ADA), and holds the position of Innovation in Education Leader, with a focus on embedding technology-enhanced learning. Dr. Rostami has taught both postgraduate and undergraduate units, such as Data Mining and Analytic Technologies... He is also committed to teaching Computational Intelligence to anyone, regardless of their educational background, e.g. his public videos on YouTube.
Dr. Rostami also runs an undergraduate research group MARP (Mario A.I. Research Project) intended for undergraduate Computing Framework students at Bournemouth University. (http://shahinrostami.com/marp)more
Actively looking for a student to research in the area of Computational Intelligence.
- Rostami, S. and Shenfield, A., 2017. A multi-tier adaptive grid algorithm for the evolutionary multi-objective optimisation of complex problems. SOFT COMPUTING, 21 (17), 4963-4979.
- Rostami, S., Neri, F. and Epitropakis, M., 2017. Progressive Preference Articulation for Decision Making in Multi-Objective Optimisation Problems. Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering.
- Rostami, S. and Neri, F., 2017. A fast hypervolume driven selection mechanism for many-objective optimisation problems. SWARM AND EVOLUTIONARY COMPUTATION, 34, 50-67.
- Tsimperidis, I., Rostami, S. and Katos, V., 2017. Age Detection Through Keystroke Dynamics from User Authentication Failures. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF DIGITAL CRIME AND FORENSICS, 9 (1), 1-16.
- Rostami, S. and Neri, F., 2016. Covariance matrix adaptation pareto archived evolution strategy with hypervolume-sorted adaptive grid algorithm. Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering, 23 (4), 313-329.
- Rostami, S., Reilly, D.O., Shenfield, A. and Bowring, N., 2015. A novel preference articulation operator for the Evolutionary Multi-Objective Optimisation of classifiers in concealed weapons detection. Information Sciences, 295 (C), 494-520.
- Shenfield, A. and Rostami, S., 2017. Multi-objective evolution of artificial neural networks in multi-class medical diagnosis problems with class imbalance. In: IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology 23 August-25 June 2017 Manchester.
- Rostami, Shahin, Shenfield, A., Sigurnjak, S. and Fakorede, O., 2015. Evaluation of Mental Workload and Familiarity in Human Computer Interaction with Integrated Development Environments using Single-Channel EEG. In: Psychology of Programming Interest Group 2015 - 26th Annual Workshop, 2015 15-17 July 2015 Bournemouth.
- Shenfield, A., Rostami, S. and IEEE, 2015. A multi objective approach to evolving artificial neural networks for coronary heart disease classification. 435-442.
- Rostami, S., Delves, P. and Shenfield, A., 2013. Evolutionary Multi-Objective Optimisation of an Automotive Active Steering Controller. In: Manchester Metropolitan University Research Symposium 25 April 2013 Manchester Metropolitan University. 1-3.
- Rostami, S. and Shenfield, A., 2012. CMA-PAES: Pareto archived evolution strategy using covariance matrix adaptation for multi-objective optimisation.
- Rostami, S., 2012. Adaptive Grid Archiving Combined with the Covariance Matrix Adaptation Evolution Strategy. In: Manchester Metropolitan University Research Symposium 2012 18 April 2012 Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Rostami, S., 2014. Preference Focussed Many-Objective Evolutionary Computation. PhD Thesis. Manchester Metropolitan University, Faculty of Science and Engineering.
- Luu Duc Trung (Deep Learning)
- Waqas Jamil (Machine Learning)
- Kevin Wilson (Progressive Preference Articulation forMany-Objective Evolutionary Computation)
- Anupama Patil
- Mohammed AlQurashi
Profile of Teaching PG
- Data Mining and Analytic Technologies
- Python for Security
Profile of Teaching UG
- Security information and Event Management (SIEM)
- Principles of Programming
- Computers and Networks
- New multidisciplinary adaptive computer interfaces for improved productivity and personal health (NVIDIA Corporation, 31 Oct 2016). Awarded
- IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Special Session Organiser and Chair (2017-), http://cibcb2017.org/; Special Session on Machine Learning in Medical Diagnosis and Prognosis
- IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (IEEE CIBCB 2017), Special Session Chair and Organiser (2017-), http://cibcb2017.org/; Machine Learning in Medical Diagnosis and Prognosis
- Bournemouth and Poole College, Link Tutor (2015-)
- Higher Education Academy (HEA), Fellow (2015-)
- Bournemouth and Poole College, Link Tutor (2015-)
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Computational Intelligence Research Initiative
- Cyber Security Program for the Festival of Learning
- Cyber Security Program for the King Edwards school visit
- PGCAP in Teaching and Learning (Manchester Metropolitan University, 2012)
- BSc (Hons) in Computing (Manchester Metropolitan University, 2010)
- PhD in Computational Intelligence (Manchester Metropolitan University, 2014)
- You're Brilliant Award (3) (Students' Union at Bournemouth University, 2017)
- You're Brilliant Award (4) (Students' Union at Bournemouth University, 2017)
- You're Brilliant Award (2) (Students' Union at Bournemouth University, 2016)
- TEL competition entry (Vision4Learning, 2016)
- You're Brilliant Award (1) (Students' Union at Bournemouth University, 2016)
- British Computer Scoiety, Member (2016-), http://www.bcs.org/
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2016-), https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/
- IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, Member (2016-), http://cis.ieee.org/
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Member (2016-), https://www.ieee.org/index.html