Dr Adi Adams
- 01202 961694
- aadams1 at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer (Academic) in Sport
- Dorset House D114, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr Adi Adams is a Lecturer in Sport and Physical Activity, teaching on the following degree modules: Principles of Coaching (1st year) and Developing Coaching Principles (2nd year).
In 2015, he completed his PhD in Sociology at the University of Bath. He has also achieved a Masters in Research (Sociology) and a BA in Coach Education & Sports Development.
Adi is a UEFA B (Level 3) qualified association football coach with ten years experience working in professional football academies. He was previously a semi-professional footballer and a member of the professional footballers' association.
His research is located in the discipline of sociology: previous research has been focused on gender, masculinities, sexuality, youth and sport. Other interests include qualitative research methods. Currently, his research is focused on football academy 'culture' and the peculiarities of boys' friendships inside a professional football academy. He is also exploring youth masculinities through his work on football academy players, examining boys' attitudes toward gay peers...
Adi's research features in a number of sport, sexuality and gender-based journals including: Journal of Language and Social Psychology, Soccer & Society, Sociology, Journal of Homosexuality, Qualitative Research, and Sport, Education and Society.
He has also acted as a reviewer for a number of journals including: British Journal of Sociology, Journal of Gender Studies, Sociology of Sport Journal, Men and Masculinities, International Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, and Soccer and Society.more
- Adams, A. and Carr, S., 2019. Football friends: adolescent boys’ friendships inside an English professional football (soccer) academy. Soccer and Society, 20 (3), 471-493.
- Adams, A., 2019. Humour, masculinities and youth sport coaching: ‘Good morning, ladies!’. Sport, Education and Society.
- Adams, A. and Kavanagh, E., 2018. Inclusive ideologies and passive performances: Exploring masculinities and attitudes toward gay peers among boys in an elite youth football academy. Journal of Gender Studies, 27 (3), 313-322.
- McCormack, M., Anderson, E. and Adams, A., 2014. Cohort Effect on the Coming Out Experiences of Bisexual Men. Sociology, 48 (6), 1207-1223.
- McCormack, M., Adams, A. and Anderson, E., 2013. Taking to the streets: The benefits of spontaneous methodological innovation in participant recruitment. Qualitative Research, 13 (2), 228-241.
- Anderson, E., Adams, A.M. and Rivers, I., 2012. “I Kiss Them Because I Love Them”: The Emergence of Heterosexual Men Kissing in British Institutes of Education. Archives of Sexual Behavior: an interdisciplinary research journal, 41 (2), 421-430.
- Adams, A.M. and Anderson, E., 2012. Exploring the relationship between homosexuality and sport among the teammates of a small, Midwestern Catholic college soccer team. Sport, Education and Society, 17 (3), 347-363.
- Adams, A.M., 2011. 'Josh Wears Pink Cleats': Inclusive Masculinity on the Soccer Field. Journal of Homosexuality, 58 (5), 579-596.
- Ripley, M., Anderson, E., McCormack, M., Adams, A. and Pitts, R., 2011. The decreasing significance of stigma in the lives of bisexual men: Keynote address, bisexual research convention, London. Journal of Bisexuality, 11 (2-3), 195-206.
- Anderson, E. and Adams, A.M., 2011. “Aren't We All a Little Bisexual?”: The Recognition of Bisexuality in an Unlikely Place. Journal of Bisexuality, 11 (1), 3-22.
- Adams, A.M., Anderson, E. and McCormack, M., 2010. Establishing and challenging masculinity: The influence of gendered discourses in organized sport. Journal of Language and Social Psychology, 29 (3), 278-300.
- Adams, A. and Kavanagh, E., 2017. Masculinities in a youth football context: Exploring attitudes toward gay peers among adolescent boys in an English professional football (soccer) academy. In: 13th Conference of the European Sociological Association 29 August-1 September 2017 Athens, Greece.
- Kavanagh, E., Adams, A. and Lock, D., 2016. Football’s fight against homophobia might have reached a tipping point.. The Independent Online. Available from: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/football-s-fight-against-homophobia-might-have-reached-a-tipping-point-a7390451.html.
- Kavanagh, E., Adams, A. and Lock, D., 2016. Football’s fight against homophobia might have reached a tipping point. The Conversation Online. Available from: https://theconversation.com/footballs-fight-against-homophobia-might-have-reached-a-tipping-point-67802.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Sports Principles and Practices
Profile of Teaching UG
- Principles of Coaching
- Developing Coaching Principles
- Research Methods
- BSc (Hons) in Coach Education & Sports Development (University of Bath, 2008)
- MRes in Sociology (University of Bath, 2009)
- PhD in Sociology (University of Bath, 2015)
- British Sociological Association, Member,