Dr Adi Adams
- 01202 961694
- aadams1 at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer (Academic) in Sport
- Dorset House D114, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr Adi Adams is a Lecturer in Sport and Physical Activity, teaching on the following degree modules: Principles of Coaching (1st year) and Developing Coaching Principles (2nd year). In 2015, he completed his PhD in Sociology at the University of Bath. He has also achieved a Masters in Research (Sociology) and a BA in Coach Education & Sports Development.
His research is located in the discipline of sociology: previous research has been focused on gender, masculinities, sexuality, youth and sport. Other interests include qualitative research methods. He is currently exploring football academy 'culture' (peer-relationships in competitive organisations, change and continuity in masculinities, gendered coaching interactions) and has recently published some of this work in Soccer & Society and Journal of Gender Studies
Adi's previous research has featured in a number of sport, sexuality and gender-based journals including: Journal of Language and Social Psychology, Sociology, Journal of Homosexuality, Qualitative Research, and Sport, Education and Society... He has also acted as a reviewer for a number of journals including: British Journal of Sociology, Leisure Studies, Journal of Gender Studies, Sociology of Sport Journal, Men and Masculinities, International Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, and Soccer and Society.
Adi is a UEFA B (Level 3) qualified association football coach with ten years experience working in professional football academies.more
- Adams, A. and Kavanagh, E., 2017. Inclusive ideologies and passive performances: exploring masculinities and attitudes toward gay peers among boys in an elite youth football academy. Journal of Gender Studies, 1-10.
- Adams, A. and Carr, S., 2017. Football friends: adolescent boys’ friendships inside an English professional football (soccer) academy. Soccer and Society, 1-23.
- McCormack, M., Anderson, E. and Adams, A., 2014. Cohort Effect on the Coming Out Experiences of Bisexual Men. Sociology, 48 (6), 1207-1223.
- McCormack, M., Adams, A. and Anderson, E., 2013. Taking to the streets: The benefits of spontaneous methodological innovation in participant recruitment. Qualitative Research, 13 (2), 228-241.
- Anderson, E., Adams, A.M. and Rivers, I., 2012. “I Kiss Them Because I Love Them”: The Emergence of Heterosexual Men Kissing in British Institutes of Education. Archives of Sexual Behavior: an interdisciplinary research journal, 41 (2), 421-430.
- Adams, A.M. and Anderson, E., 2012. Exploring the relationship between homosexuality and sport among the teammates of a small, Midwestern Catholic college soccer team. Sport, Education and Society, 17 (3), 347-363.
- Adams, A.M., 2011. 'Josh Wears Pink Cleats': Inclusive Masculinity on the Soccer Field. Journal of Homosexuality, 58 (5), 579-596.
- Ripley, M., Anderson, E., McCormack, M., Adams, A. and Pitts, R., 2011. The decreasing significance of stigma in the lives of bisexual men: Keynote address, bisexual research convention, London. Journal of Bisexuality, 11 (2-3), 195-206.
- Anderson, E. and Adams, A.M., 2011. “Aren't We All a Little Bisexual?”: The Recognition of Bisexuality in an Unlikely Place. Journal of Bisexuality, 11 (1), 3-22.
- Adams, A.M., Anderson, E. and McCormack, M., 2010. Establishing and challenging masculinity: The influence of gendered discourses in organized sport. Journal of Language and Social Psychology, 29 (3), 278-300.
- Adams, A. and Kavanagh, E., 2017. Masculinities in a youth football context: Exploring attitudes toward gay peers among adolescent boys in an English professional football (soccer) academy. In: 13th Conference of the European Sociological Association 29 August-1 September 2017 Athens, Greece.
- Kavanagh, E., Adams, A. and Lock, D., 2016. Football’s fight against homophobia might have reached a tipping point.. The Independent Online. Available from: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/football-s-fight-against-homophobia-might-have-reached-a-tipping-point-a7390451.html.
- Kavanagh, E., Adams, A. and Lock, D., 2016. Football’s fight against homophobia might have reached a tipping point. The Conversation Online. Available from: https://theconversation.com/footballs-fight-against-homophobia-might-have-reached-a-tipping-point-67802.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Sports Principles and Practices
Profile of Teaching UG
- Research Methods
- Developing Coaching Principles
- Principles of Coaching
- PhD in Sociology (University of Bath, 2015)
- MRes in Sociology (University of Bath, 2009)
- BSc (Hons) in Coach Education & Sports Development (University of Bath, 2008)
- British Sociological Association, Member,