Dr Adi Adams
- 01202 961694
- aadams1 at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Sport
- Dorset House D114, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Adi Adams is a Senior Lecturer (Academic) in Sport, and Programme Leader for BSc (Hons) Sport Management and BSc (Hons) Sport Coaching.
Adi teaches on the following degree modules: Principles of Coaching (1st year); Developing Coaching Principles (2nd year); Research Methods (2nd year); Dissertation (final year).
In 2015, he completed his PhD in Sociology (Sport) at the University of Bath. He has also achieved a Masters in Research (Sociology) and a BA in Coach Education & Sports Development. In 2016, Adi joined BU as a Lecturer in Sport, and in 2018 was recognised as a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
Adi is a UEFA B (Level 3) qualified association football coach with over 15 years coaching experience, and ten years experience working in professional football academies. He was previously a semi-professional footballer for 12 years.
His research is located in the discipline of sociology: previous research has been focused on gender, masculinities, sexuality, youth, and sport... Other interests include qualitative research methods. Recently, his research has focused on various aspects of professional football club youth academy 'culture', including: competitive workplaces, individualism, and the peculiarities of boys' friendships inside football academies; homophobia, youth masculinities and boys' attitudes toward gay peers, and; youth football coaches' use of gender-related 'humour' within their everyday coaching practice.
Adi's research features in a number of academic journals including: Journal of Language and Social Psychology; Soccer & Society; Sociology; Qualitative Research, and; Sport, Education and Society.
He has also acted as a reviewer for a number of journals including: British Journal of Sociology; Journal of Gender Studies; Sociology of Sport Journal; Men and Masculinities; International Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, and; Soccer and Society.more
- Adams, A., 2020. Humour, masculinities and youth sport coaching: ‘Good morning, ladies!’. Sport, Education and Society, 25 (4), 463-474.
- Kavanagh, E., Adams, A., Lock, D., Stewart, C. and Cleland, J., 2020. Managing abuse in sport: An introduction to the special issue. Sport Management Review, 23 (1), 1-7.
- Adams, A. and Kavanagh, E., 2018. Inclusive ideologies and passive performances: Exploring masculinities and attitudes toward gay peers among boys in an elite youth football academy. Journal of Gender Studies, 27 (3), 313-322.
- Adams, A. and Carr, S., 2017. Football friends: adolescent boys’ friendships inside an English professional football (soccer) academy. Soccer and society, 20 (3), 471-493.
- McCormack, M., Anderson, E. and Adams, A., 2014. Cohort Effect on the Coming Out Experiences of Bisexual Men. Sociology, 48 (6), 1207-1223.
- McCormack, M., Adams, A. and Anderson, E., 2013. Taking to the streets: The benefits of spontaneous methodological innovation in participant recruitment. Qualitative Research, 13 (2), 228-241.
- Anderson, E., Adams, A.M. and Rivers, I., 2012. “I Kiss Them Because I Love Them”: The Emergence of Heterosexual Men Kissing in British Institutes of Education. Archives of Sexual Behavior: an interdisciplinary research journal, 41 (2), 421-430.
- Adams, A.M. and Anderson, E., 2012. Exploring the relationship between homosexuality and sport among the teammates of a small, Midwestern Catholic college soccer team. Sport, Education and Society, 17 (3), 347-363.
- Adams, A.M., 2011. 'Josh Wears Pink Cleats': Inclusive Masculinity on the Soccer Field. Journal of Homosexuality, 58 (5), 579-596.
- Ripley, M., Anderson, E., McCormack, M., Adams, A. and Pitts, R., 2011. The decreasing significance of stigma in the lives of bisexual men: Keynote address, bisexual research convention, London. Journal of Bisexuality, 11 (2-3), 195-206.
- Anderson, E. and Adams, A.M., 2011. “Aren't We All a Little Bisexual?”: The Recognition of Bisexuality in an Unlikely Place. Journal of Bisexuality, 11 (1), 3-22.
- Adams, A.M., Anderson, E. and McCormack, M., 2010. Establishing and challenging masculinity: The influence of gendered discourses in organized sport. Journal of Language and Social Psychology, 29 (3), 278-300.
- Adams, A. and Kavanagh, E., 2017. Masculinities in a youth football context: Exploring attitudes toward gay peers among adolescent boys in an English professional football (soccer) academy. In: 13th Conference of the European Sociological Association 29 August-1 September 2017 Athens, Greece.
- Kavanagh, E., Adams, A. and Lock, D., 2016. Football’s fight against homophobia might have reached a tipping point.. The Independent Online. Available from: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/football-s-fight-against-homophobia-might-have-reached-a-tipping-point-a7390451.html.
- Kavanagh, E., Adams, A. and Lock, D., 2016. Football’s fight against homophobia might have reached a tipping point. The Conversation Online. Available from: https://theconversation.com/footballs-fight-against-homophobia-might-have-reached-a-tipping-point-67802.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Sports Principles and Practices
Profile of Teaching UG
- Principles of Coaching
- Developing Coaching Principles
- Research Methods
- PhD in Sociology (University of Bath, 2015)
- MRes in Sociology (University of Bath, 2009)
- BSc (Hons) in Coach Education & Sports Development (University of Bath, 2008)
- British Sociological Association, Member,