Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Avital’s research interests revolve around issues of consumer behaviour and experience in tourism and leisure, including psychological and cross-cultural aspects. She has also published on heritage and dark tourism, with emphasis on conceptual and empirical understanding of these notions and their inter-relationship, heritage interpretation and the role of dark sites in destination recovery. Currently, she is developing her interest in social responsibility in management, particularly in relation to conflict reconciliation, disability and accessibility, and gender related issues in tourism consumption, supply and higher education. She has taught extensively on visitor attractions management, tourism marketing, heritage and dark tourism, social and cultural issues in leisure and tourism, and disciplinary perspectives in tourism studies. Avital currently serves as Pathways Leader for the Tourism Masters and the Academic Study Abroad Coordinator for Tourism.
- Nawijn, J. and Biran, A., 2018. Negative emotions in tourism: a meaningful analysis. Current Issues in Tourism.
- Stylidis, D., Sit, K. and Biran, A., 2018. Residents’ Place Image: A Meaningful Psychographic Variable for Tourism Segmentation? Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 1-11.
- Tchetchik, A., Eichhorn, V. and Biran, A., 2018. ‘Not on my vacation’: service encounters between able-bodied and disabled consumers – the case of high-contact service. Journal of Policy Research in Tourism, Leisure and Events, 1-17.
- Chambers, D., Munar, A.M., Khoo-Lattimore, C. and Biran, A., 2017. Interrogating gender and the tourism academy through epistemological lens. Anatolia, 28 (4), 501-513.
- Munar, A.M., Khoo-Lattimore, C., Chambers, D. and Biran, A., 2017. The academia we have and the one we want: on the centrality of gender equality. Anatolia, 28 (4), 582-591.
- Stylidis, D., Sit, K. and Biran, A., 2016. An Exploratory Study of Residents’ Perception of Place Image: The Case of Kavala. Journal of Travel Research, 55 (5), 659-674.
- Ram, Y., Tribe, J. and Biran, A., 2016. Sexual harassment: overlooked and under-researched. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 28 (10), 2110-2131.
- Biran, A., Liu, W., Li, G. and Eichhorn, V., 2014. Consuming post-disaster destinations: The case of Sichuan, China. Annals of Tourism Research, 47, 1-17.
- Stylidis, D., Biran, A., Sit, K. and Szivas, E.M., 2014. Residents' support for tourism development: The role of residents' place image and perceived tourism impacts. Tourism Management, 45, 260-274.
- Biran, A. and Hyde, K.F., 2013. New perspectives on dark tourism. International Journal of Culture, Tourism and Hospitality Research, 7 (3), 191-198.
- Biran, A., Poria, Y. and Oren, G., 2011. Sought experiences at (Dark) heritage sites. Annals of Tourism Research, 38 (3), 820-841.
- Poria, Y., Biran, A. and Reichel, A., 2009. Visitors' preferences for interpretation at heritage sites. Journal of Travel Research, 48 (1), 92-105.
- Poria, Y., Biran, A. and Reichel, A., 2007. Different Jerusalems for Different Tourists: Capital cities-the management of multi-heritage site cities. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 22 (3-4), 121-138.
- Poria, Y., Reichel, A. and Biran, A., 2006. Heritage site management: Motivations and expectations. Annals of Tourism Research, 33 (1), 162-178.
- Poria, Y., Reichel, A. and Biran, A., 2006. Heritage site perceptions and motivations to visit. Journal of Travel Research, 44 (3), 318-326.
- Biran, A., Poria, Y. and Reichel, A., 2006. Heritage site management: The link between visitors' pre-visit perceptions, motivations and expectations. Anatolia, 17 (2), 279-304.
- Poria, Y., Biran, Y. and Reichel, A., 2006. Tourist perceptions: Personal vs. non-personal. Journal of Heritage Tourism, 1 (2), 121-132.
- Biran, A. and Buda, D.M., 2018. Unravelling fear of death motives in dark tourism. The Palgrave Handbook of Dark Tourism Studies. 515-532.
- Biran, A. and Poria, Y., 2012. Re-conceptualizing dark tourism. In: Sharpley, R. and Stone, P., eds. The contemporary tourist experience: Concepts and consequences. Routledge, 57-70.
- Biran, A., Poria, Y. and Reichel, A., 2006. Using the experientially-based approach to segment heritage site visitors. In: Kozak, M., ed. Using the experientially-based approach to segment heritage site visitors. Elsevier, 133-146.
- Biran, A., 2016. The (dark) past as a tourist attraction. In: Memory Mapping Seminar 15-16 September 2015 University of Prishtina, Pristina, Kosovo.
- Biran, A., 2016. Touring Death - Negotiating Fear of Death through Tourism Consumption (Key note). In: Terror on Tour 7-8 April 2016 University of Chichester, Chichester, UK.
- Klinkner, M., Schwandner-Sievers, S., TIan, F. and Biran, A., 2015. Rethinking post-war reconciliation, memory and heritage via ‘gaming’ technology. In: BFX Academic Conference 2015 26-27 September 2015 Bournemouth, Bournemouth University.
- Biran, A., Budeanu, A., Caton, K., Dredge, D., Tazim, J. and Munar, A.M., 2014. Gender in the Tourism Academy Workshop. In: Tourism Education Futures Initiative 18th Annual Conference 4-7 June 2014 University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada.
- Biran, A., Ram, Y., Tribe, J. and Shaked-Levy, N., 2014. Sexual Harassment, Tourism and Education. In: Tourism Education Futures Initiative 17th Annual Conference 13-16 April 2013 Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, UK.
- Biran, A., Ram, Y., Tribe, J. and Shaked-Levy, N., 2013. Sexual harassment, tourism and education. In: Celebrating and Enhancing the Tourism Knowledge-based Platform 23-25 October 2013 University of the Balearic Islands, Palma de Mallorca, Spain.
- Munar, A.M. et al., 2015. The Gender Gap in Tourism Academy: Statistics and Indicators of Gender Equality. While Waiting for the Dawn. Licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Tourism Management and Society
- Tourism Masters - Pathways Leader
Profile of Teaching UG
- Tourism Culture and Society
- Social Psychology
- Conflict Transformation through Gamification (Fusion Investment Fund, 01 Nov 2015). Awarded
- Workshop on Sexual Harassment in the Tourism Industry (Fusion Investment Fund, 28 Feb 2014). Awarded
- Workshop on Dark tourism Consumption (European Commission, 19 May 2013). Completed
- Visitor attractions design for enhancing the visitor experience: A development perspective (Israel Nature and Parks Authority, 01 Apr 2013). Completed
- PGCE in Higher Education and Academic Practice (University of Surrey, UK, 2010)
- PhD in Heritage Tourism Management (Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel, 2008)
- MBA in Organizational Behavior (Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel, 2004)
- BA (Hons) in Hospitality and Tourism Management (Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel, 2002)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2010-),
- Israeli Leisure Research Forum, Member (2013-),
- Tourism Society, Member (2009-),