Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am an intertidal marine biologist with a strong interest in artificial structures and ecological enhancement. I am currently working as a postdoctoral researcher on the Atlantic Interreg project 3DPARE which aims to use 3D printing to create artificial reef units for use in the Atlantic region.
My PhD research investigated the impact of artificial structures on the marine environment, in particular coastal structures such as seawalls, groynes and piers.
My research includes work on the: 1) Benthic communities on wooden and rock groynes in comparison to natural shores.
2) Processes on wooden and rock groynes in comparison to natural shores; settlement, recruitment and mortality
3) Ecological Enhancement of artificial structures through surface heterogeneity and water retention
4) The influence of piers on the surrounding communities?
5) Modelling the connectivity of artificial structures through larvae supply
- Evans, A., Firth, L., Hawkins, S., Hall, A., Ironside, J., Thompson, R. and Moore, P., 2019. From ocean sprawl to blue-green infrastructure – A UK perspective on an issue of global significance. Environmental Science & Policy, 91, 60-69.
- Hall, A.E., Herbert, R.J.H., Britton, J.R. and Hull, S., 2018. Ecological enhancement techniques to improve habitat heterogeneity on coastal defence structures. Estuarine, coastal and shelf science, 210, 68-78.
- Herbert, R.J.H., Collins, K., Mallinson, J., Hall, Pegg, J., Ross, K., Clarke, L. and Clements, T., 2017. Epibenthic and mobile species colonisation of a geotextile artificial surf reef on the south coast of England. PLoS ONE, 12 (9).
- Hall, A., Herbert, R., Britton, J., Boyd, I. and George, N., 2019. Shelving the Coast with Vertipools: Retrofitting Artificial Rock Pools on Coastal Structures as Mitigation for Coastal Squeeze. In: International Marine Conservation Congress 24-29 June 2018 Kuching, Borneo.
- Herbert, R.J.H., Blanco Fernández, E., Boutouil, M., Guerra, M., Hall, A.E., Pinto, I.S., Stafford, R., Parham, D. and Castro Fresno, D., 2018. Do Artificial Reefs have a role in the restoration of biodiversity and ecosystem services in the NE Atlantic? In: International Marine Conservation Congress 5 22-30 June 2018 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Hall, A., Herbert, R., Hull, S. and Siddle, R., 2017. Improving habitat heterogenity on coastal defence structures. In: ICE Coasts, Marine Structures and Breakwaters 5-7 September 2017 Liverpool.
- Hall, A., Herbert, R.J.H., Britton, R. and Thomas, B., 2016. How persistent are assemblages upon wooden and rock groyne “reefs”? In: International Temperate Reef Symposium 26 June-30 August 2016 Pisa, Italy.
- Herbert, R.K.H., Boyd, I. and Hall, A., 2016. Making space for water on coastal infrastructure. In: Greening to improve asset resilience of estuarine and coastal assets 4 February-4 August 2016 Glasgow University.
- Herbert, R., Eames, M. and Hall, A., 2017. The Pier Beneath - Interim Report. Bournemouth University.
- Marine Biological Association, Student Ambassador (2014-)
- TELEMAC Summer School, 06 Jul 2015
- PhD in Ecology & Ecological Enhancement of Coastal AS (2018)
- Marine Biological Association, Member (2014-), http://www.mba.ac.uk/