Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a marine biologist with a strong interest in artificial structures and ecological enhancement. I am currently working as a postdoctoral researcher on the Atlantic Interreg project 3DPARE which has 3D printed artificial reef units for use in the Atlantic region. I conduct various surveys including scientific SCUBA diving, Remotely operated vehicles (ROV) and Baited Remote Underwater Video (BRUV).
My PhD research investigated the impact of artificial structures on the marine environment, in particular coastal structures such as seawalls, groynes and piers.
My research includes work on the: 1) Benthic communities on wooden and rock groynes in comparison to natural shores.
2) Processes on wooden and rock groynes in comparison to natural shores; settlement, recruitment and mortality
3) Ecological Enhancement of artificial structures through surface heterogeneity and water retention
4) The influence of piers on the surrounding communities?
5) Modelling the connectivity of artificial structures through larvae supply
- Ly, O., Hall, A.E., Herbert, R.J.H., Stafford, R. et al., 2021. Optimisation of 3D printed concrete for artificial reefs: Biofouling and mechanical analysis. Construction and Building Materials, 272.
- Hall, A.E., Herbert, R.J.H. and Stafford, R., 2021. Temporal and spatial variation in adult and juvenile mobile fauna associated with natural and artificial coastal habitats. Marine Biology, 168 (2).
- Evans, A., Firth, L., Hawkins, S., Hall, A., Ironside, J., Thompson, R. and Moore, P., 2019. From ocean sprawl to blue-green infrastructure – A UK perspective on an issue of global significance. Environmental Science & Policy, 91, 60-69.
- Hall, A.E., Herbert, R.J., Britton, R.J., Boyd, I. and George, N., 2019. Shelving the coast with vertipools: Retrofitting artificial rock pools on coastal structures as mitigation for coastal squeeze. Frontiers in Marine Science, 6 (JUL).
- Hall, A.E., Herbert, R.J.H., Britton, J.R. and Hull, S.L., 2018. Ecological enhancement techniques to improve habitat heterogeneity on coastal defence structures. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 210, 68-78.
- Herbert, R.J.H., Collins, K., Mallinson, J., Hall, A.E., Pegg, J., Ross, K., Clarke, L. and Clements, T., 2017. Epibenthic and mobile species colonisation of a geotextile artificial surf reef on the south coast of England. PLoS ONE, 12 (9).
- Hall, A., Latham, D., Siddle, R., Donoghue, M. and Hull, S., 2020. Managing Ecological, Community and Bathing Water Quality Aspects in Design and Construction: Runswick Bay Coastal Protection Scheme, UK. In: ICE Coastal Management 2019 23-26 September 2019 La Rochelle, France. ICE Publishing, 447-458.
- Hall, A., Herbert, R. and Stafford, R., 2019. 3D Printed Artificial Reefs in the Atlantic Region (3DPARE). In: Young Coastal Scientists & Engineers Conference 14-15 May 2019 Glasgow, UK.
- Herbert, R.J.H., Blanco Fernández, E., Boutouil, M., Guerra, M., Hall, A.E., Pinto, I.S., Stafford, R., Parham, D. and Castro Fresno, D., 2018. Do Artificial Reefs have a role in the restoration of biodiversity and ecosystem services in the NE Atlantic? In: International Marine Conservation Congress 5 22-30 June 2018 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Hall, A., Herbert, R., Hull, S. and Siddle, R., 2017. Improving habitat heterogenity on coastal defence structures. In: ICE Coasts, Marine Structures and Breakwaters 5-7 September 2017 Liverpool.
- Hall, A., Herbert, R.J.H., Britton, R. and Thomas, B., 2016. How persistent are assemblages upon wooden and rock groyne “reefs”? In: International Temperate Reef Symposium 26 June-30 August 2016 Pisa, Italy.
- Herbert, R.K.H., Boyd, I. and Hall, A., 2016. Making space for water on coastal infrastructure. In: Greening to improve asset resilience of estuarine and coastal assets 4 February-4 August 2016 Glasgow University.
- Hall, A., Herbert, R. and Hull, S., 2020. Runswick Bay artificial rock pool monitoring: 2020 results. BU Global Environmental Solutions (BUG).
- Hall, A., Bone, J. and Herbert, R., 2020. Feasibility report for the Incorporation of Ecological Enhancement at Hythe Ranges, Kent. BU Global Environmental Solutions (BUG).
- Hall, A., Herbert, R. and Hull, S., 2020. Feasibility survey for the installation of artificial rock pools at Staithes, North Yorkshire. BU Global Environmental Solutions (BUG).
- Hall, A., Herbert, R. and Hull, S., 2020. Runswick Bay artificial rock pool monitoring: 2019 results. BU Global Environmental Solutions (BUG).
- Herbert, R.J.H. and Hall, A.E., 2020. Time and tide: changes in mobile fauna over neap and spring cycles at Yarmouth Pier (Isle of Wight), August 2019. BUG.
- Hall, A., Herbert, R. and Hull, S., 2019. Runswick Bay artificial rock pool monitoring: 2018 results. BU Global Environmental Solutions (BUG).
- Herbert, R.J.H., Hall, A., Eames, M. and Goudswaard, A., 2019. Pier Beneath - Final Report. Yarmouth Harbour Commissioners.
- Herbert, R., Eames, M. and Hall, A., 2017. The Pier Beneath - Interim Report. Bournemouth University.
- Hall, 2017. The ecology and ecological enhancement of artificial coastal structures. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, Faculty of Science and Technology.
- Hall, A., Herbert, R. and Stafford, R., 2019. 3D Printed Artificial Reefs in the Atlantic Region (3DPARE). In: ICE Coastal Management 2019.
- Bone, J., Hall, A., Herbert, R. and Stafford, R., 2019. Artificial rock pools for ecological enhancement of coastal infrastructure (MARINEFF). In: Institute of Civil Engineers Coastal Management 2019.
- Marine Biological Association, Student Ambassador (2014-)
- TELEMAC Summer School, 06 Jul 2015
- PhD in Ecology & Ecological Enhancement of Coastal AS (2018)
- Marine Biological Association, Member (2014-), http://www.mba.ac.uk/