- 01202 961780
- alacey at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Health Sciences
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr. Andrea Curley is an Academic and Senior Lecturer within the Faculty of Health and Social Sciences at Bournemouth University and is also Programme Lead for MSc Mental Health Nursing. Andrea’s first degree is in Psychology and her second degree is an MA in Education – Life Long Learning from The Open University. Andrea is a Chartered Psychologist and an Associate Fellow with the British Psychological Society (BPS). Andrea is also a member, and former committee member, of the Division of Academics, Researchers, and Teachers of Psychology (BPS). She is also a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Authority and a Doctor of Professional Practice. Andrea's research focussed on how mental health student nurses can be more fully prepared for their first mental health clinical placement.
Andrea has successfully completed her Doctorate in Professional Practice which focussed on Mental Health Student nurses and their first practice placement. The aim was to identify how students can be more fully prepared prior to placement.
Andrea has now developed a suite of activities in response to her research findings which are currently in use.
- King, L.M., Lacey, A. and Hunt, J., 2021. Applying communication skills in the provision of family-centred care: a reflective account. Nurs Child Young People.
- Lacey, A., 2017. Novice researchers' nightmare journey of paradigms and methodologies: 'It's hard to know what is right or wrong'. In: Costa, A.P., Reis, L.P., De Souza, F.N. and Moreira, A., eds. Computer Supported Qualitative Research Second International Symposium on Qualitative Research (ISQR 2017). Springer, 204-212.
- Lacey, A., 2018. Being an outsider on the inside, or an insider on the outside: Betwixt and between. In: 4th Annual Qualitative Research Symposium 31 January 2018 University oif Bath.
- Lacey, A., 2017. Exploring mental health student nurses’ accounts of first practice placement: how can they be more fully prepared? In: BU PG Conference 2016 9-10 March 2016 BU Bournemouth.
- Lacey, A., 2017. Mental health student nurses’ first practice placement: Exploring their experiences. In: RCN Education Forum International Conference in Telford, 2016 14 March-16 August 2016 Telford.
- Lacey, A. and Lacey, A., 2015. Mental health student nurses’ first practice placement: Exploring their experiences. In: 24th International Networking for Healthcare Education 2-5 September 2013 Cambridge University.
- Lacey, A., 2013. Mental Health Student Nurses experience of their first practice placement. In: 5th Annual Postgraduate Research Conference 1-3 April 2013 Bournemouth University.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Locating and Evaluating Evidence for Professional Practice
- Fundamental Communication Skills
- Therapeutic Communication Skills
- Service Improvement Project
- Developing Skills for Promoting Health and Wellbeing
- Communication Skills in Nursing Practice
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Post Grad ladies doing Life-Long learning! (07 Jun 2013-10 Jul 2013)
- Qualitative Research Symposium, Being an outsider on the inside, or an insider on the outside: Betwixt and between., 31 Jan 2018, Chancellor's Building, University of Bath
- 2nd International Symposium on Qualitative Research (ISQR 2017), Novice researchers' nightmare journey of paradigms and methodologies: It's hard to now what is right or wrong'., 11 Jul 2017, Salamanca University, Spain
- Royal College of Nursing Education Forum International Conference and Exhibition 2016, Exploring mental health student nurses first mental health practice placement: how can they be more fully prepared?, 15 Mar 2016, Conference Centre, Telford, UK
- BU 8th Post-grad Research Conference, Exploring mental health student nurses first mental health practice placement: how can they be more fully prepared?, 09 Mar 2016, Executive Business Centre, BU
- NET 2013: 24th International Networking for Healthcare in Education Conference, Mental Health student nurses' first practice placement: Exploring their experiences., 03 Sep 2013, Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge University
- 5th Annual Post-Graduate Research Conference, Mental Health student nurses' first practice placement: Exploring their experiences, 29 Apr 2013, Executive Business Centre
- MA in Education - Life long Learning (Open University, 2005)
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology (Open University, 1995)
- Senior Fellowship (Higher Education Academy, 2018)
- Associate Fellow (AFBPsS) (The British Psychological Society, 2011)
- Chartered Psychologist (CPsychol) (The British Psychological Society, 2009)
- British Psychological Society, Fellow (1997-),
- Division for Academics and Researchers and teachers of Psychology, Member,
- Dorset Hub of the British Psychological Society, Member,
- The Association for the Teaching of Psychology, Member,