Dr Alexios Mylonas
- 01202 966308
- amylonas at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer in Computing
- Poole House P416, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I was the program leader for the BSc (Hons) Forensic Computing and Security (2016-2019).
I hold a PhD in Information and Communication Security and a BSc (Hons) in Computer Science from the Athens University of Economics and Business, as well as an MSc in Information Security from Royal Holloway, University of London. I am a Fellow of HEA and my teaching and research focuses on Cyber Security. Before joining BU, I was a Lecturer at Staffordshire University and (even) before that a security consultant working within VeriSign's PKI Trust Network. I hold more than 20 well referenced, esteemed journal and conference publications. I have served as as PC and TC member in a number of reputable conferences (e.g. ESORICS, ARES, etc.) and journals (Computer & Security, Computer, Computers & Electrical Engineering, etc.). I am a member of IEEE and ACM.
My research falls in the area of cybersecurity and digital forensics. Currently, my work focuses on : (a) smartphone security and privacy, (b) IoT security, (c) Android memory forensics, (d) web security and online fraud prevention, and (e) intrusion detection.
Please refer to Google Scholar Profile for an up to date list of my publications.
I am currently supervising:
- Mohammad Heydari http://staffprofiles.bournemouth.ac.uk/display/mheydari
I am also advising:
- Antonia Nisioti http://staffprofiles.bournemouth.ac.uk/display/anisioti
If you are interested for a PhD under my supervision and you are willing to work hard, please contact me.
- Nisioti, A., Mylonas, A., Yoo, P.D. and Katos, V., 2018. From intrusion detection to attacker attribution: A comprehensive survey of unsupervised methods. IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, 20 (4), 3369-3388.
- Belloro, S. and Mylonas, A., 2018. I know what you did last summer: New persistent tracking mechanisms in the wild. IEEE Access, 6, 52779-52792.
- Tsimperidis, I., Yoo, P.D., Taha, K., Mylonas, A. and Katos, V., 2018. R$²$BN: An Adaptive Model for Keystroke-Dynamics-Based Educational Level Classification. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics.
- Gritzalis, D., Iseppi, G., Mylonas, A. and Stavrou, V., 2018. Exiting the risk assessment maze: A meta-survey. ACM Computing Surveys, 51 (1).
- Tsalis, N., Mylonas, A., Nisioti, A., Gritzalis, D. and Katos, V., 2017. Exploring the protection of private browsing in desktop browsers. Computers and Security, 67, 181-197.
- Andriotis, P., Oikonomou, G., Mylonas, A. and Tryfonas, T., 2016. A study on usability and security features of the Android pattern lock screen. Information and Computer Security, 24 (1), 53-72.
- Spyridopoulos, T., Maraslis, K., Mylonas, A., Tryfonas, T. and Oikonomou, G., 2015. A Game Theoretical Method for Cost-Benefit Analysis of Malware Dissemination Prevention. Information Security Journal, 24 (4-6), 164-176.
- Virvilis, N., Mylonas, A., Tsalis, N. and Gritzalis, D., 2015. Security Busters: Web browser security vs. rogue sites. Computers and Security, 52, 90-105.
- Mylonas, A., Kastania, A. and Gritzalis, D., 2013. Delegate the smartphone user? Security awareness in smartphone platforms. Computers and Security, 34, 47-66.
- Mylonas, A., Meletiadis, V., Mitrou, L. and Gritzalis, D., 2013. Smartphone sensor data as digital evidence. Computers and Security, 38, 51-75.
- Tsalis, N., Virvilis, N., Mylonas, A., Apostolopoulos, T. and Gritzalis, D., 2015. Browser blacklists: The Utopia of phishing protection. 278-293.
- Mylonas, A., Gritzalis, D., Tsoumas, B. and Apostolopoulos, T., 2013. A qualitative metrics vector for the awareness of smartphone security users. 173-184.
- Corner, M., Dogan, H., Mylonas, A. and Djabri, F., 2019. A Usability Evaluation of Privacy Add-ons for Web Browsers. In: DUXU: 7th International Conference on Design, User Experience and Usability 26 June-31 March 2019 Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Nisioti, A., Mylonas, A., Katos, V., Yoo, P.D. and Chryssanthou, A., 2017. You can run but you cannot hide from memory: Extracting im evidence of Android apps. 457-464.
- Nisioti, A., Heydari, M., Mylonas, A., Katos, V. and Tafreshi, V.H.F., 2017. TRAWL: Protection against rogue sites for the masses. 120-127.
- Ward, J., Dogan, H., Apeh, E., Mylonas, A. and Katos, V., 2017. Using human factor approaches to an organisation’s bring your own device scheme. 396-413.
- Tsalis, N., Mylonas, A. and Gritzalis, D., 2016. An intensive analysis of security and privacy browser add-ons. 258-273.
- Faily, S., Gritzalis, D., Lykou, G., Mylonas, A., Partridge, A. and Katos, V., 2016. Human-centered specification exemplars for critical infrastructure environments.
- Hassan, M., Vidalis, S. and Mylonas, A., 2015. Cell based intrusion prevention system. 79-85.
- Alshammari, N.O., Mylonas, A., Sedky, M., Champion, J. and Bauer, C., 2015. Exploring the adoption of physical security controls in smartphones. 287-298.
- Mylonas, A., Theoharidou, M. and Gritzalis, D., 2014. Assessing privacy risks in android: A user-centric approach. 21-37.
- Virvilis, N., Tsalis, N., Mylonas, A. and Gritzalis, D., 2014. Mobile devices: A phisher's paradise. 79-87.
- Mylonas, A., Tsalis, N. and Gritzalis, D., 2013. Evaluating the manageability of web browsers controls. 82-98.
- Mylonas, A., Dritsas, S., Tsoumas, B. and Gritzalis, D., 2012. On the Feasibility of malware attacks in smartphone platforms. 217-232.
- Mylonas, A., Meletiadis, V., Tsoumas, B., Mitrou, L. and Gritzalis, D., 2012. Smartphone forensics: A proactive investigation scheme for evidence acquisition. 249-260.
- Theoharidou, M., Mylonas, A. and Gritzalis, D., 2012. A risk assessment method for smartphones. 443-456.
- Mylonas, A., Tsoumas, B., Dritsas, S. and Gritzalis, D., 2011. A secure smartphone applications roll-out scheme. 49-61.
- Kandias, M., Mylonas, A., Theoharidou, M. and Gritzalis, D., 2011. Exploitation of auctions for outsourcing security-critical projects. 646-651.
- Mylonas, A., Dritsas, S., Tsoumas, B. and Gritzalis, D., 2011. Smartphone security evaluation - The malware attack case. 25-36.
- Kandias, M., Mylonas, A., Virvilis, N., Theoharidou, M. and Gritzalis, D., 2010. An insider threat prediction model. 26-37.
- Mohammad Heydari. http://staffprofiles.bournemouth.ac.uk/display/mheydari
Profile of Teaching PG
- Enterprise Digital Forensics
Profile of Teaching UG
- Security Information and Event Management
- Computer Security
- Cyber Situation Awareness
- CE2016 Exercise incident – Apt Memory Forensics Analysis (European Network and Information Security Agency, 01 Oct 2016). Completed
- CE 2016 Incident Development (European Network and Information Security Agency, 01 Apr 2016). Completed
- PGCE in Teaching in Higher and Professional Education (Staffordshire University, 2015)
- PhD in Computer and Communication Security (Athens University of Economics and Business, 2014)
- MSc in Information Security (Royal Holloway University of London, 2008)
- BSc (Hons) in Computer Science (Athens University of Economics and Business, 2007)
- Association for Computing Machinery, Member (2013-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2015-),
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Member (2009-),