Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Aravind Reghunathan is a Lecturer in Marketing at Bournemouth University. He completed his Ph.D. at the Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode, India. He holds a Master's degree in Business Administration and a Bachelor's degree in Commerce.
Aravind is an emerging thought leader in the broad areas of consumer behaviour, brand management, and sports marketing. Specifically, his current research addresses (i) technology consumption and participation, including that in online retail and social media, (ii) the influence of social perceptions and identity dynamics on consumer-brand relationships, and (iii) interactions between sports fans and entities such as organisations and brands. Aravind's research has featured in a variety of marketing, sports, and management journals, including Advances in Consumer Research, International Journal of Sports Management and Marketing, Case Centre, and Society and Management Review.
Aravind brings a range of practical experience to the lectureship, with entrepreneurial experience from launching an infotainment start-up and managerial experience from retail banking... He's also worked as a consultant for a number of organisations, including Big Synergy, on various initiatives.more
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
- Reghunathan, A. and Sridhar, G., 2022. Enjoy Your Favourite Book as a Movie: Using an Experiential Learning Exercise to Improve Student Understanding of Brand Extensions and Marketing Plan Preparation. IIM Kozhikode Society & Management Review, 1-15.
- Reghunathan, A., 2021. Branding of Government Services: Benefits and Challenges. IIM Kozhikode Society & Management Review, 10 (2), 232-235.
- Reghunathan, A. and Joseph, J., 2021. Winning the loyalty cup: Impact of symbol-related brand elements on brand loyalty of sports clubs. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, 21 (3-4), 245-264.
- Reghunathan, A., 2018. Case study and teaching note: Quiz Kerala Spreading Knowledge. Case Centre.
- Reghunathan, A. and Joseph, J., 2017. Men will be Men, Women will be Women: The Case of Cross-Gender Brand Extensions. Advances in Consumer Research, 45, 465-468.
- Lock, D. and Reghunathan, A., 2022. COVID-19 and Sports Consumption. In: Frawley, S. and Schulenkorf, N., eds. Handbook of Sport and COVID-19. Routledge.
- Reghunathan, A. and Lock, D., 2022. Can a Modified Sport Drive the Consumption of its Parent Sport? In: European Association for Sport Management 5-8 September 2022 Innsbruck, Austria.
- Reghunathan, A. and Joseph, J., 2018. Winning the Brand Loyalty Cup: The Psychological Play of Symbol-related Brand Elements of Football Clubs. In: Mathsport Asia 10-12 December 2018 Jamshedpur, India.
- Reghunathan, A. and Joseph, J., 2017. Men will be Men, Women will be Women: The Case of Cross-gender Brand Extensions. In: Association for Consumer Research Conference 26-29 October 2017 San Diego, U.S.. Advances in Consumer Research, 45, 465-468 Association for Consumer Research.
- Reghunathan, A., 2017. Cross-Gender Brand Extensions: Staying on Strong Foundations? In: American Marketing Association 4-6 August 2017 San Francisco, U.S..
- Reghunathan, A., Balaji, G. and Krishnan, O., 2016. Relationship Marketing in Indian Banking: A Stakeholder Analysis. In: Conference on Marketing, Technology, and Society 9-11 September 2016 Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode, India.
- Nicholson, R., Parry, K. and Reghunathan, A., 2023. Levelling the playing field? The impact of The Hundred, Year One. Bournemouth University.
- Reghunathan, A., 2023. We cannot lose touch with touch. Times Higher Education. Available from: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/campus/we-cannot-lose-touch-touch.
- Reghunathan, A., 2022. Are E-sports Players Athletes?. Mathrubhumi. Available from: https://www.mathrubhumi.com/sports/features/scope-of-sports-video-games-in-the-upcoming-era-1.7336881.
- Reghunathan, A., 2021. Times are changin’: But will ‘Men will be Men’ change?. ET Brand Equity. Available from: https://brandequity.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/marketing/times-are-changin-but-will-men-will-be-men-change/83531701.
- Reghunathan, A., 2021. How dark patterns manipulate online shopping behaviour?. Malayala Manorama. Available from: https://www.manoramaonline.com/news/business/2021/01/30/invisible-persuasion-tactics-in-online-shopping-in-internet.html.
- Reghunathan, A., 2020. Sports fandom in the time of COVID19. Mathrubhumi. Available from: https://www.mathrubhumi.com/sports/features/sports-fandom-in-the-age-of-covid-19-1.5155038.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Brand Management
- Consumer Behaviour
- Sport Business Analytics
Profile of Teaching UG
- Sport Marketing
- Brand & Event Engagement
- Opportunities and challenges in Infotainment: A case study of Quiz Kerala (Case Centre, 03 Jul 2017). Completed
- Sport Management Review, 01 Jan 2021
- Journal of Consumer Affairs, Anonymous peer review, 01 Oct 2020
- Psychology and Marketing, Anonymous peer review, 31 Aug 2020
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Magazine column (15 Jun 2016-15 Jul 2019)
- Regional language version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire TV Show S4, Senior consultant. Reliance Big Synergy, India
- Sell Me the Answer TV Show S2, Senior consultant. Reliance Big Synergy, India
- Consultant, Marketing Research Consultant on multiple projects covering branding and advertising. Mark One Global Networks, India.
- PhD in Marketing Management (Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode, 2020)
- MBA in Marketing (Mahatma Gandhi University, India, 2012)
- Fellow (Advance HE, UK Higher Education Academy, 2022)
- Paul.R. Lawrence Fellowship (North American Case Research Association, 2019)
- Junior Research Fellowship (University Grants Commission, India, 2012)
- National Eligibility Test Qualification for Lectureship in Management (University Grants Commission, India, 2012)
- Emerging Markets Society, Member,
- Transformative Consumer Research, Member,