Professor Angelos Stefanidis
- 01202 965500
- astefanidis at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Professor and Head Of Department Computing and Informatics
- Poole House P313, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Angelos Stefanidis is Professor of Computer Science and Head of Department for Computing & Informatics in the Faculty of Science & Technology at Bournemouth University. He received his PhD in Information Systems from Loughborough University. Angelos has held various academic roles over the years and has extensive teaching experience in the areas of Computing and Information Management. He also has extensive experience in the design, management and delivery of professionally accredited CPD courses to IT companies and organisations. In addition, he has held various academic management positions and worked externally with numerous universities in the UK and overseas.
Previous formal leadership roles have included Associate Dean (Global Engagement) which involved providing leadership, operational development and delivery of the Bournemouth University’s Global Engagement plan, by supporting recruitment, international partnerships, students and staff mobility, education, research and professional practice activities on and off campus...
Angelos still maintains responsibility for some of large strategic international partnership developments at BU.more
Angelos’ research interests lie in the educational aspects of Computing and Information Management, focusing specifically on the issue of the alignment of academic curricula with industry needs. In recent years, his interest has also included aspects of social computing, which encompass digital addiction and on-line gambling. Angelos has extensive project leadership expertise, having managed successful funded projects, as well as a Knowledge Transfer Project.
- Shahri, A., Hosseini, M., Taylor, J., Stefanidis, A., Phalp, K. and Ali, R., 2020. Engineering digital motivation in businesses: a modelling and analysis framework. Requirements Engineering, 25 (2), 153-184.
- Alblwi, A., McAlaney, J., Altuwairiqi, M., Stefanidis, A., Phalp, K. and Ali, R., 2020. Procrastination on Social Networks: Triggers and Countermeasures*. Psihologija, 53 (4), 393-410.
- Stefanidis, A., Fitzgerald, G. and Counsell, S., 2013. IS curriculum career tracks: a UK study. Education + Training, 55 (3), 220-233.
- Stefanidis, A., Fitzgerald, G. and Counsell, S., 2012. A comprehensive survey of IS undergraduate degree courses in the UK. International Journal of Information Management, 32 (4), 318-325.
- Stefanidis, A., 2010. Information Systems Curricula in the UK: A Survey of Undergraduate Courses (Research in Progress). Italics, 9 (1), 87-99.
- Stefanidis, A. and Fitzgerald, G., 2010. Mapping the Information Systems Curricula in UK Universities. Journal of Information Systems Education, 21 (4), 391-409.
- Vertesi, A., Dogan, H. and Stefanidis, A., 2020. Usability Evaluation of Virtual Learning Environments: A University Case Study. Online Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. Cognition and Exploratory Learning in the Digital Age.. Springer, Cham, 161-183.
- Algashami, A., Cham, S., Vuillier, L., Stefanidis, A., Phalp, K. and Ali, R., 2018. Conceptualising Gamification Risks to Teamwork within Enterprise. The Practice of Enterprise Modeling. The Practice of Enterprise Modeling. Springer.
- Hamzeh, H., Meacham, S., Khan, K., Phalp, K. and Stefanidis, A., 2020. MRFS: A Multi-resource Fair Scheduling Algorithm in Heterogeneous Cloud Computing. Proceedings - 2020 IEEE 44th Annual Computers, Software, and Applications Conference, COMPSAC 2020, 1653-1660.
- Mavengere, N.B., Pekkola, S. and Stefanidis, A., 2020. BUSINESS-IT ALIGNMENT, THE STRUGGLE CONTINUES. In: 25th UK Academy for Information Systems International Conference 31 March-1 April 2020 St Catherine's College, University of Oxford.
- Alutaybi, A., Arden-Close, E., McAlaney, J., Stefanidis, A., Phalp, K. and Ali, R., 2019. How can social networks design trigger fear of missing out? Conference Proceedings - IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 2019-October, 3758-3765.
- Alutaybi, A., McAlaney, J., Arden-Close, E., Stefanidis, A., Phalp, K. and Ali, R., 2019. Fear of Missing Out (FoMO) as Really Lived: Five Classifications and one Ecology. BESC 2019 - 6th International Conference on Behavioral, Economic and Socio-Cultural Computing, Proceedings.
- Alblwi, A., Stefanidis, A., Phalp, K. and Ali, R., 2019. Procrastination on Social Networks: Types and Triggers. BESC 2019 - 6th International Conference on Behavioral, Economic and Socio-Cultural Computing, Proceedings.
- Alsaedi, T., Stefanidis, A., Phalp, K. and Ali, R., 2019. Social Transparency in Enterprise Information Systems: Peculiarities and Assessment Factors. BESC 2019 - 6th International Conference on Behavioral, Economic and Socio-Cultural Computing, Proceedings.
- Hamzeh, H., Meacham, S., Khan, K., Phalp, K. and Stefanidis, A., 2019. FFMRA: A fully fair multi-resource allocation algorithm in cloud environments. Proceedings - 2019 IEEE SmartWorld, Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing, Advanced and Trusted Computing, Scalable Computing and Communications, Internet of People and Smart City Innovation, SmartWorld/UIC/ATC/SCALCOM/IOP/SCI 2019, 279-286.
- Alblwi, A., Stefanidis, A., Phalp, K. and Ali, R., 2019. Procrastination on Social Networking Sites: Combating by Design. Proceedings - International Conference on Research Challenges in Information Science, 2019-May.
- Cham, S., Algashami, A., McAlaney, J., Stefanidis, A., Phalp, K. and Ali, R., 2019. Goal setting for persuasive information systems: Five reference checklists. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 11433 LNCS, 237-253.
- Isaac, G., Meacham, S., Hamzeh, H., Stefanidis, A. and Phalp, K., 2018. An Adaptive E-Commerce Application using Web Framework Technology and Machine Learning. In: BCS Software Quality Management (SQM) Conference 2018 26-27 March 2018 London, UK.. , 145-158 BCS.
- Meacham, S., Stefanidis, A., Gritt, L. and Phalp, K., 2018. Internet of Things for Education: Facilitating Personalised Education from a University’s Perspective. In: BCS SQM & Inspire Conference 2018 26-27 March 2018 London, UK. , 69-82 BCS.
- Alutaybi, A., McAlaney, J., Stefanidis, A., Phalp, K. and Ali, R., 2018. Designing social networks to combat fear of missing out. Proceedings of the 32nd International BCS Human Computer Interaction Conference, HCI 2018.
- Algashami, A., Cham, S., Vuillier, L., Stefanidis, A., Phalp, K. and Ali, R., 2018. Conceptualising gamification risks to teamwork within enterprise. Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing, 335, 105-120.
- Vertesi, A., Dogan, H., Stefanidis, A., Ashton, G. and Drake, W., 2018. Usability evaluation of a virtual learning environment: A university case study. Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Cognition and Exploratory Learning in the Digital Age, CELDA 2018, 11-20.
- Roberts, P., Modi, S., Roubert, F., Simeonova, B. and Stefanidis, A., 2015. Information systems undergraduate degree project: Gaining a better understanding of the final year project module. Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing, 232, 145-170.
- Stefanidis, A. and Fitzgerald, G., 2014. IS education research: Review of methods of surveying the IS curriculum to support future development of IS courses. Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing, 193, 1-11.
- TAPCHA: Online Fraud Detection and Prevention (DCMS/Innovate UK, 23 Sep 2019). Completed
- TAPCHA - a mobile first, non-instrusive and customisable CAPTCHA scheme (DCMS/Innovate UK, 01 Apr 2019). Completed
- BU LoRaWAN Talbot Campus Testbed (Jisc, 01 Apr 2019). In Progress
- Towards Explainable Artificial Intelligence (XAI) (Match-funded with British Telecom, 03 Sep 2018). In Progress
- KTP Precision Acoustics (Innovate UK, 01 Jul 2016). Completed
- Open University, External Examiner for Undergraduate Computing (2019-2023)
- University of Northampton, External Examiner for UG programme (2018-2022)
- University of Winchester, External Examiner for ICBS UG&PG programmes (2016-2019)
- Ulster University - SERC, External Examiner for SERC Comp (2014-2017)
- University of Brighton, External Examiner for MSc Information Systems (2013-2017)
- PhD in Information Systems education (Loughborough University, 2013)
- PGCE in PGCHE (Higher Education) (University of Westminster, 2008)
- MSc in Information Systems Design (University of Westminster, 1995)
- BSc (Hons) in Software Engineering (University of Westminster, 1994)
- Association for Computing Machinery, Member,
- Association for Information Systems, Member,
- British Computer Society, Chartered IT Professional (CITP),
- British Computer Society, Fellow,
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow,
- UK Academy for Information Systems, Member,