Dr Anna Troisi
- 01202 965127
- atroisi at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer (Academic) in Digital Media Design
- Weymouth House W211, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I'm a digital artist, programmer, performer, experimental electronic musician, composer, builder of instruments, and data fetishist. I have a background in computer science, music, computer music, neuroscience, and a PhD in nanotechnology. At Bournemouth lecture in Digital Media Design and I’m Director of EMERGE (Experimental Media Research Centre) at Bournemouth University. I hold a Postgraduate Certification in Education in Practice, and I’m a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
Beneath the umbrella of “sensing data” all my projects seek to connect the multiple sensory registers in which we can think about ecology. In my work, I seek to create a visual/auditory and sensory register of how the ecology of human interactions is evolving, in order to provide cultural evidence of the technology adapted to empower and augment real human interactions, as well as the interaction with the natural or post-industrial environment. I’m interested also in how data could help communities to shape policy development and environmental decision-making...
1. Ecology of human interactions (tactile/mental/language oriented/sensorial interaction between humans): This research strand is intended to address how gender inequalities and gendered social differences are constructed. The major aim is to use the creative digital arts through the sensing data framework to challenge stereotypes and provide positive alternatives, leading to increased well-being and quality of life.
2. Human interaction with the environment, the local and the landscape: I am interested in co-inquiry and the creative analysis of data as an aid to understanding how communities can shape policy development and environmental decision-making.
More info are available on my webpage http://www.annatroisi.orgmore
- Troisi, A., 2018. OB-scene, a live audio/visual performance for photoplethysmograph and female body. Organised Sound.
- Troisi, A., 2015. Teaching Computer Music to Academically Engage At-Risk Students. The International Journal of Arts Education, 10 (4), 25-36.
- Troisi, A., Kirke, A., Miranda, E., Chiaramonte, A., Matthias, J., Fry, N., McCabe, C., Radtke, J. and Bull, M., 2013. Cloud Chamber: A Performance with Real Time Two-Way Interaction between Subatomic Particles and Violinist. Leonardo Music Journal (LMJ), 46 (1), 84-85.
- Troisi, A., Aloisio, G., Rossi, I., Fariselli, P. and Casadio, R., 2008. The Rainbow Prim Algorithm for Selecting Putative Orthologous Protein Sequences. The open bioinformatics journal, 2, 60-63.
- Troisi, A., 2016. Synthetic Emotions. In: Future Fest by Nesta 16-17 September 2016 Tobacco Dock, London.
- Troisi, A., 2016. OB-scene, and audio/video performance for photoplethysmograph and female body. In: DRHA 2016: Digital Research in the Humanities and Arts 3-6 September 2016 University of Brighton.
- Troisi, A., 2016. Xenofeminism, gender fluidity and cyber art. In: Transmediale/Conversation piece 3-7 February 2016 Haus der Kulturen der Welt, Berlin.
- Troisi, A., 2016. Practice as "Search" towards a different form of knowledge. In: Intersections 2016: Practice (...) Research 14-15 January 2016 The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama.
- Troisi, A. and Chiaramonte, A., 2014. Sounding sculptures for the augmentation of musical experience in live electroacoustic music. In: Conference on Interdisciplinary Musicology – CIM14 4-6 December 2014 National Institute for Music Research, Berlin, Germany.
- Troisi, A., P-S. Ng, J., Gregg, S. and Chiaramonte, A., 2013. “Talk to me”, a digital art web installation. In: 10th International Symposium on Computer Music Multidisciplinary Research (CMMR) 15-18 October 2013 Marseille (Fr). Marseille: Publications of L.M.A., 1025-1028.
- Troisi, A., Miranda, E., Slawomir, J.N., Chiaramonte, A., Spencer, M., Hammond, M., Xydas, D., Whalley, B., Becerra, V. and Warwick, K., 2011. A musical instrument using in vitro neural networks. In: The Michigan Library, ed. International Computer Music Conference 2011 31 July-5 August 2011 Huddersfield. The Michigan Library, 567-570.
- Kirke, A., Miranda, E., Chiaramonte, A., Troisi, A., Mathias, J., Radtke, J., Fry, N., McCabe, C. and Bull, M., 2011. Cloud chamber: a performance involving real time two-way interaction between subatomic radioactive particles and violinist. In: University of Michigan Library, ed. International Computer Music Conference 31 July-5 August 2011 Huddersfield. Huddersfield: Michigan Publishing, 151-154.
- Troisi, A., Chiaramonte, A. and J. Ps.Ng, 2015. A digital art web installation as augmentation of a theatrical play. SaMLP - Sound and Music Processing Lab. Available from: http://issuu.com/sampl-lab/docs/living_lab_music_5/1.
- Troisi, A., Ng, J., Gregg, S. and Chiaramonte, A.. Talk to me. 10 th International Symposium on Computer Music Multidisciplinary Research. Laboratoire de Mécanique et d'Acoustique Marseille, France. 15-18 October 2013.
- Troisi, A., Ng, J., Gregg, S. and Chiaramonte, A.. "Talk to me". International Electroacusti Music Festival (Emu) 2013. Conservatoire of Rome. 20-29 October 2013.
- Troisi, A., Chiaramonte, A., Ng, J. and Gregg, S.. “Talk to me”, a digital art web installation.. Web. Di-stanze, Community Festival of Sound aArt. LIVE STREAMING. 15-31 December 2014.
- Troisi, A.. Keen-skin, an installation based on haptic sensation and neurological data. DHRA DIgital Research in the Humanities and Arts. Dublin City University. 1-3 September 2015.
- Troisi, A.. Nebbia alla valle, (for sound sculptures, theremin, trumpet, bass clarinet and live electronics). Peninsula Arts Contemporary Music Festival, University of Plymouth (UK). 2010.
- Troisi, A.. Nebbia alla valle, (for sound sculptures, theremin, trumpet, bass clarinet and live electronics). 46th Nuova Consonanza Festival - Roma. 2009.
- Troisi, A. and Chiaramonte, A.. ..::Electroshop::..ensemble performance [Antonino Chiaramonte, Live electronics and Live Video processing; Anna Troisi, Live electronics; Gaia Mattiuzzi, Voice; Francesco Cusa, Drums; Alberto Popolla, bass clarinet]. Issue Project Room, New York City, (USA). 2011.
- Troisi, A.. Intimate Acquaintance. EME Festival 2008, Teatro Iberico, Lisboa. 1 October 2008.
- Troisi, A. and Pierotti, A.. Aque. Music and Digital Art Festival (MUV), Pescaia di Santa Rosa / Firenze. 6 May 2006.
- Troisi, A.. Naked Musicians ensemble performance conduct by Elliot Sharp. Brecht forum, New York City (USA). 2011.
- Troisi, A.. Naked Musicians ensemble. Teatro of the Italian Academy, Columbia University, New York City (USA). 2011.
- Troisi, A. and Chiaramonte, A.. Etheric Bodies by Antonino Chiaramonte. Emufest 2010 - Sala Accademica del Conservatorio di S. Cecilia, Roma.
- Troisi, A., Chiaramonte, A., Distante, G., Miranda, E.R., Paci Dalo', R. and Saldicco, C.. ..::Electroshop::..ensemble (music by A.Chiaramonte, G.Distante, E.R.Miranda, R.Paci Dalo’, C.Saldicco, A.Troisi). Peninsula Arts Contemporary Music Festival, University of Plymouth (UK). 2010.
- Troisi, A., Chiaramonte, A., Distante, G., Miranda, E.R., Paci Dalo', R. and Saldicco, C.. Electroshop (music by A.Chiaramonte, G.Distante, E.R.Miranda, R.Paci Dalo’, C.Saldicco, A.Troisi). 46th Nuova Consonanza Festival - Roma. 2010.
- Troisi, A. and Minton, P.. Phil Minton Fheral Choir. Angelica International Contemporary Music Festival, Bologna.
- Troisi, A. and Wright, J.. “Spring Garden Music” directed by Jack Wright. No net Festival Highwire gallery, Philadelphia (US). 17 July 2004.
- Davis, T., Troisi, A., Seddon, A., Canning, R., Thompson, B., Chiaramonte, A. and Borgo, D.. NonRecursive @ Symposium on Interagency in Technologically-Mediated Performance. Performance. Bournemouth University. 29 January 2016.
- Davis, T., Troisi, A., Seddon, A., Thompson, B., Canning, R. and Chiaramonte, A.. NonRecursive. Performance. Bournemouth Emerging Arts Fringe: The Engine Room. 15 October 2015.
- Troisi, A.. OB-scene, a live audio/visual performance for photoplethysmograph and female body. Brunel University London - Artaud Performance Centre. 7-9 April 2016.
- Troisi, A.. OB-scene, and audio/video performance for photoplethysmograph and female body.. DRHA 2016: Digital Research in the Humanities and Arts. 3-6 September 2016.
- Troisi, A.. OB-scene, and audio/video performance for photoplethysmograph and female body. performance. CFP The Politics of Performance and Play. Feminist Matters, Institute for Philosophy, Leiden University, Leiden, the Netherlands. 7-8 July 2016.
- Troisi, A.. OB-scene, a live audio/visual performance for photoplethysmograph and female body. audio/visual performance/installation. Royal College of Art, London. 3 June 2017.
- Troisi, A., Davis, T., Amelidis, P. and Seddon, A.. nonRecursive. Bournemouth Emerging Arts Fringe: The Engine Room, The Old Fire Station. 1 May 2018.
- Troisi, A.. OB-scene, and audio/video performance for photoplethysmograph and female body.. Royal College of Art, London. 3 June 2017.
- Troisi, A., 2009. Nebbia alla valle . Unpublished.
- Troisi, A., 2008. Intimate Acquaintance. Unpublished.
- Troisi, A. and Pierotti, A., 2006. Aque. Unpublished.
- Troisi, A., Vasi, V. and Pierotti, A., 2006. Trans-pare. Unpublished.
- Troisi, A., 2018. Norm Contaminated. Arts Catalyst, 74-76 Cromer Street, King's Cross, London.
- Troisi, A., White, N. and Smith, R., 2016. HyperDrone - Field Experiment. University of Brighton.
- Troisi, A. and White, N., 2016. Tuning the Hyperdrone. Dyson Gallery, Royal College of Arts, London.
- White, N., Troisi, A. and Smith, R., 2015. Tuning the Hyperdrone. Objectif Exhibitions in Flanders, Belgium.
- Troisi, A., White, N. and Smith, R., 2015. Tuning the Hyperdrone. Wysing Arts Centre, Cambridge.
- Troisi, A., 2010. Sounding sculptures Electroshop #1, Electroshop #2, Electroshop #3, Electroshop #4. Interdisciplinary Centre for Computer Music Research, University of Plymouth.
- Philip Shakeshaft. PhD, Radio drama and new generation awareness, Part time
- Ifigeneia Mavridou. EngD, acquisition of emotions and study the benefits of affective Human Computer Interaction, in the area of Virtual Reality and Neurogaming. Full time
- Malte Lahrmann. MPhil, Crowdfunded music; the interaction between product, production process and the shifting music industry.
- Hrehovcsik Micah
Profile of Teaching UG
- Networked Media I (BAMP/C), Story and Spaces (BAMP/I), Developing Arguments (BADMD/C), Debates and Scholarship (BADMD/I), Design Iteration (BADMD/I), Developing Digital Design Concept (BADMD/H)
- CoaAST, Coastal Aural archive of Space and Time (Arts and Humanities Research Council, GCRF, 17 Feb 2019). Awarded
- 11th edition of the CMMR conference (Computer Music Multidisciplinary Research), Commettee of CMMR 2015 (2015-)
- The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Cultural Studies, Associate Editor for the Volume 11 (2015-), http://ijicst.cgpublisher.com/
- The 9th Conference on Interdisciplinary Musicology CIM14, 4-6 December 2014, at Staatliches Institut für Musikforschung (National Institute for Music Research), in Berlin, member of the Program Committee (2014-), http://www.sim.spk-berlin.de/cim14
- Head, Experimental Media Research Group. <a href="https://research.bournemouth.ac.uk/centre/emerge/" class="iconRight" target="blank">https://research.bournemouth.ac.uk/centre/emerge/<i class="fa fa-external-link"></i></a>
- Global Engagement Lead, Faculty Global Engagement Group
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- The Big BEAF Celebration Party, Shelley Theatre, Bournemouth
- Contributor with the project NonRecursive together with other members of Emerge (experimental media research group).
- Contributor as performer with NonRecursive.
- ENVISIONING A NEW ENTREPRENEURIAL EXPERIENCE MAST FOUNDATION, Workshop. MAST, MANIFATTURA di ARTI, SPERIMENTAZIONE e TECNOLOGIA (ARTS, EXPERIENCE and TECHNOLOGY).
- PhD in Bioinformatics (University of Salento, 2008)
- PGCert in Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Bournemouth University, 2016)
- MSc in Computer Science (Laurea equivalent to 5y Master) (University Alma Mater Bologna (Italy), 2004)
- BCS, British Computer Society, Member (2013-), http://www.bcs.org/
- MeCCSA, Member (2016-),