- 01202 962015
- bbarker at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer in Advertising
- Weymouth House W420, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
- citations now at 16 - mainly around employability. Time to get the follow-up paper out.
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I started my career as an advertising media planner buyer, working with agencies such as Ogilvy & Mather and Davidson Pearce. Through the 90's & 0's I was a Board Director and Head of Direct Marketing Communications Planning, for Carat UK. In this role, I became a member of the DMA and Fellow of the Institute of Direct & Digital Marketing (IDM), contributing to the various industry councils and delivering media planning training sessions as a part of the IDM Qualifications offering. I was named IDM Educator of the Year, 2011.
I started my academic career at London South Bank University, in 2005, since when I have been teaching, researching and publishing in the areas of marketing education and marketing communication.
I gained my PGCHE in 2012 and was awarded the PGCHE Learning and Teaching ‘Best Research Project’ prize for my research into the issues and expectations around embedding employability skills into Marketing course structures within HE. I went on to present my research at AM2013 and later published it in Marketing Review... (Barker, B. (2014) Employability Skills: Maintaining relevance in Marketing Education, Marketing Review, Volume 14, Number 1, Spring 2014, pp. 29-48(20).
I was also a part of the Department of Marketing team 'Commended' for our 'Alumni social network project' in the VC’s Enterprising Staff Awards, 2013, which later gained us the Academy of Marketing Team Teaching Excellence Award, 2014
I am currently studying for my PhD in Marketing (with the focus on Media Planning) at Bournemouth University. I have presented a number of related papers at the Academy of Marketing along the way & was awarded ‘Best Paper’ at the Academy of Marketing Doctoral Colloquium, Southampton, 2012more
My research interests lie in two main areas. Firstly, looking at marketing communications strategy across all areas of media, data, direct & digital marketing, and secondly, the teaching & learning of advertising and marketing within HE, in particular the tensions between academia and the need to embed employability skills and professional training.
1) My key focus at the current time is my PhD, researching how media strategy and planning is evolving in this digital and data driven environment; and whether advertising and media planning process models developed in the hay day of mass communication are still relevant. I am looking particularly at the changing balance between attitudinal and behavioural outcomes, identified by some commentators as the rise of short-termism.
2) In addition, I am keenly interested in teaching and learning, e-learning and employability, particularly in the context of marketing and advertising. My PGCHE research, and most recent paper, was specifically around the issues and expectations of embedding employability skills into the curriculum. I am currently exploring the role of the ‘placement’ as a mechanism to deliver employability. To support this I have also worked on a project to create a ‘digital first’ online interactive, entry level, Marketing text in WileyPlus Learning Space, that incorporates many practical activities.
•Barker, B. 2014. Employability skills: Maintaining Relevance In Marketing Education, Marketing Review, 14:28-48
•McLoughlin, D., Barker, B., Elliot, G., Rundle-Thiele, S., & Waller, D... 2015. Marketing. 1st edition. WileyPlus Learning Space, London. https://www.wiley.com/college/sc/wpls/region/emea/mcloughlin.html.more
- Barker, B., 2014. Employability skills: Maintaining relevance in marketing education. The Marketing Review, 14, 29-48.
- Barker, B., 1995. What do we know about: The world of Direct Mail. Admap, 1995 (11).
- Barker, B., 1995. What do we know about: Press Planning for Direct Response Advertising? Admap, 1995 (9).
- Barker, B., 1995. What do we know about Direct Response television advertising? Admap, 1995 (6).
- McLoughlin, D., Barker, B., Elliot, G., Rundle-Thiele, S. and Waller, D., 2015. Marketing, 1st International Edition, WileyPLUS Learning Spacestudent Package. online UK: Wiley.
- Barker, B., 2010. Integrated digital marketing communications. Digital Marketing Best Practice: Fundamentals of strategy and practice, The Marketing & Management Collection. London, UK: Henry Stewart Talks Ltd.
- Barker, B., 2007. Press ahead and get some good results. In: IDM, ed. IDM Marketing Guide. The IDM, 1-44.
- Barker, B., 2007. Watching the response come in DRTV and iTV. IDM Marketing Guide. Teddington, UK: IDM, 1-84.
- Barker, B., 2007. Integration - bringing the media plan together - or making it all work – really. IDM Marketing Guide. Teddington, UK: IDM, 1-36.
- Barker, B., 2003. Interactive Television & Emerging Media. The Practitioners Guide to Data and Digital Marketing. Teddington, UK: IDM.
- Barker, B., 2003. TV & iTV. The Practitioners Guide to Data and Digital Marketing. Teddington, UK: IDM.
- Barker, B., 2003. The Press. The Practitioners Guide to Data and Digital Marketing. Teddongton: IDM.
- Barker, B., 2003. Ambient and other opportunities. The Practitioners Guide to Data and Digital Marketing. Teddington, UK: IDM.
- Barker, B., 2003. IMC. The Practitioners Guide to Data and Digital Marketing. Teddington, UK: IDM.
- Barker, B., 1998. DRTV & iTV, The Interactive and Direct Marketing Guide. The Interactive and Direct Marketing Guide. Teddington, UK: IDM, 1-70.
- Barker, B., 1998. Press Space & Inserts. The Interactive and Direct Marketing Guide. Teddington, UK: IDM, 1-40.
- Barker, B., 1998. Media Planning. The Interactive and Direct Marketing Guide. Teddington, UK: IDM, 1-30.
- Barker, B., 1995. Planning Press Space and Inserts,. The Direct Marketing Guide. Teddington, UK: IDM, 1-30.
- Barker, B., 2019. Has Digital Changed Approaches to Media Strategy Making? In: Academy of Marketing 2-4 July 2019 Regents University, London.
- Barker, B., 2019. Media Strategy & Planning: What is going wrong in Media Briefing? In: Academy of Marketing 2-4 July 2019 Regents University, London.
- Barker, B., 2018. Media Strategy Formation: An Exploration of unmet information needs in media briefing and implications for strategic development. In: Academy of Marketing : Marketing the Brave 2-5 July 2018 University of Stirling.
- Barker, B., 2015. Media planning: Exploration of the media decision making process in the digital environment. In: Academy of Marketing 2015 6-10 July 2015 Limerick.
- Barker, B., 2014. Media Planning: Measuring the distance between theory and practice. In: Academy of Marketing 7-10 July 2014 Bournemouth.
- Barker, B., 2013. Employability Skills: Maintaining relevance in Marketing Education. In: Academy of Marketing Conference 8-11 July 2013 Glamorgan.
- Barker, B., 2012. Reputation management: the opportunity to improve your customer service. In: Academy of Marketing Conference 2-5 July 2012 Southampton.
- Barker, B., 2012. Media Planning in the digital environment can one define relative media effectiveness? In: Academy of Marketing 2-5 July 2012 Southampton.
- Barker, B. and Roberts, K., 2010. Impact of Social Media on Marketing Communications Planning, Academy of Marketing Conference. In: Academy of Marketing Conference 6-9 July 2010 Coventry.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Media Planning; Digital & Social Media; Data Driven Marketing; Principles of Marketing; Marketing Research; Product Management; Charity/Social Marketing; Digital Marketing
- Live Advertising Campaigns: An exciting L5 unit run over just 3 weeks to draw all of the students' learning to date together to answer a live industry brief.
- Lytchett Matravers Parish Council, Councillor (2017-), http://lytchettmatraverspc.org/
- BU Doctoral Conference, Media Planning Strategy Formation in the Digital Environment, 04 Jul 2018, Bournemouth University
- Marketing: catching the technology wave. Academy of Marketing Conference 2012, 03 Jul 2012, University of Southampton’s School of Management
- Academy of Marketing 2010, 07 Jul 2010, Coventry
- Blended Learning, 07 Dec 2017
- Jisc: Benchmarking your students’ digital experience @ BU, 23 May 2017
- BU processes for applying for funding session, 13 Apr 2017
- Getting started on applying for research funding, 13 Apr 2017
- Quality Approvals at BU, 13 Apr 2017
- Blended Feedback: Introducing Video Screen Casting Assessment Feedba, 13 Apr 2016
- Nvivo Day 2 training, 11 Dec 2015
- How to Conduct a Literature Review, 13 Apr 2015
- Ethics 2: Working with Human Subjects, 19 Feb 2015
- Ethics 1: Good Research Practice, 19 Feb 2015
- PG Researcher Development Workshop - Introduction to Nvivo, 02 Dec 2014
- PGCHE in Teaching & Learning (LSBU, 2012)
- SFHEA in Teaching & Learning (Higher Education Academy, 2014)
- MSc in International Marketing (London South Bank University, 2004)
- CLTHE in Teaching & Learning (London South Bank University, 2009)
- Academy of Marketing Team Teaching Excellence Award (Academy of Marketing, 2014)
- PGCHE Prize for Best Learning & Teaching Research Project (London South Bank University, 2012)
- Best paper in Colloquium (Academy of Marketing, 2012)
- Educator of the Year (Institute of Direct & Digital Marketing, 2011)
- Academy of Marketing, Member (2011-), https://www.academyofmarketing.org/
- European Communication Research and Education Association, Member (2014-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2012-), https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/
- Higher Education Academy, Senior Fellow (2014-), https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/
- Institute of Direct & Digital Marketing, Fellow (2009-), https://www.theidm.com/
- Institute of Practitioners in Advertising, Member (2000-),
- Media, Communications and Cultural Studies Association, Member (2014-),
External Media and Press
- Back to school marketing with Professor Beverly Barker, O2 Business UK - onine forum, 02 Sep 2015. http://businessblog.o2.co.uk/back-school-marketing-professor-beverly-barker/