- 01202 961259
- bcleeve at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer in Sports Management/Coaching Sciences
- Dorset House D131, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Bethany is a lecturer in Sport and Exercise Sciences. She is currently completing her PhD in the School of Health and Social Care at Bournemouth University entitled ‘The meaning of physical activity for people with anxiety’. With an interest in qualitative research, Bethany is using grounded theory methods to explore the physical activity behaviour of people with anxiety. Using in-depth interviews, this interpretive approach aims to tap in to the previously untold stories of those with anxiety, in order to understand the complexities of the relationship they have with physical activity. Initial themes for further exploration include: the use of physical activity as a coping behaviour for people with anxiety; and, anxiety as a barrier to physical activity participation.
Bethany’s interest in exercise epidemiology stems from her undergraduate study of health sciences and her passion for sport and physical activity and is reflected in Bethany’s teaching. ‘Sport, Physical Activity and Health’ examines the potential of physical activity interventions on physical and psychological health examining key public health issues such as Cardiovascular Disease, Obesity, Non-insulin Dependent Diabetes and Mental Health... ‘Psychology of Exercise Behaviour’ introduces physical activity interventions for health and explores the theoretical underpinning to their successful application such as models of behaviour change, client consultation strategies, and condition-specific physical activity programme adaptations.more
- Cleeve, B., Ritchie, B.W. and Shipway, R., 2009. Resident Perceptions of Mega-Sporting Events: A Non-Host City Perspective of the 2012 London Olympic Games. Journal of Sport and Tourism, 14 (2-3), 143-167.
- Ritchie, B.W., Shipway, R. and Cleeve, B., 2009. Resident Perceptions of Mega-Sporting Events: A Non-Host City Perspective of the 2012 London Olympic Games. Journal of Sport & Tourism, 14, 143-167.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Psychology of Exercise
- BSc (Hons) in Health Sciences (Bournemouth University, 2002)
- PG CERT in Academic Practice (Bournemouth University, 2005)
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Member,