Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I cut my teeth in Emergency Care and was part of the RCN Faculty of Nursing and the Department of Health First Contact national steering groups. From 1994 I led the Emergency Care pathways and pioneered the BU Advanced Nurse Practitioner Course; being one of the first universities in the UK to run the programme and the first to achieve RCN accreditation of a non-RCN designed course. With my colleague Bernice Baker we developed the first and only UK accredited Telephone Consultation course, which was successfully delivered across the world, including Emirates Airlines Dubai, British Forces Germany and across the early NHS Direct & NHS 24 sites. These innovations enabled me to generate significant extra-contractual income leading to being employed as a Practice Development Fellow focusing my role on enterprise, partnership working, course design & marketing and income generation. The last few years have seen me move into Community CPD provision, including the highly successful & well evaluated Community Up-Skilling programme... Currently I am working with Health Education England in the design and delivery of a Wessex-wide Practice Nurse Framework for which I also act as course lead. My academic interests include Professional Judgement in Nursing, Nursing Philosophy and Practice Development.more
- Tan, S., Frost, S., Smith, M. and Edwards, B., 2010. Integrating services to improve patient care. Emergency Nurse, 18 (3), 12-17.
- Edwards, B. and Sines, D., 2008. Passing the audition - the appraisal of client credibility and assessment by nurses at triage. J Clin Nurs, 17 (18), 2444-2451.
- Richards, J. and Edwards, B., 2008. Establishing a health club in warden controlled accommodation. Journal of Community Nursing, 22 (2), 30-32.
- Edwards, B., 2007. Walking in--initial visualisation and assessment at triage. Accid Emerg Nurs, 15 (2), 73-78.
- Boyden, J. and Edwards, B., 2007. The advanced practitioner role in a community twilight service. Journal of Community Nursing, 21 (1), 10-12.
- Endacott, R., Edwards, B., Crouch, R., Castille, K., Dolan, B., Hamilton, C., Jones, G., MacPhee, D. and Manley, K., 1999. Towards a faculty of emergency nursing. Emerg Nurse, 7 (5), 10-16.
- Edwards, B., 1999. What's wrong with triage? Emerg Nurse, 7 (4), 19-23.
- Edwards, B., Holloway, I., Galvin, K., Andrews, C. and Potter, P., 1999. Nurse practitioners. Are we being true to the spirit of nursing? Emerg Nurse, 7 (3), 26-31.
- Edwards, B., 1998. Seeing is believing - picture building: a key component of telephone triage. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 7, 51-57.
- Edwards, B., 1998. A&E nurses’ constructs on the nature of nursing expertise: a repertory grid technique. Accident and Emergency Nursing, 6, 18-23.
- Edwards, B., 1994. Telephone triage: how experienced nurses reach decisions. J Adv Nurs, 19 (4), 717-724.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Foundations for Practice Nursing
Profile of Teaching UG
- Programme and Unit Lead - Practice Nurse Programme(s)
- Setting new standards – emergency care in the 21st century, Integrating emergency care services within a hospital trust using the practice development framework., 16 Oct 2009, Harrogate
- Nurse Practitioner: coming of age., What is advanced nursing practice? A proposed explanatory model, 07 Sep 2007, Daventry
- Nurse Led Care Clinics and Services in Primary Care,, A vision for the advanced nurse practitioner role in a community out-of-hours service, 06 Sep 2007, London
- RCN Fringe Seminar, RCN Annual Conference, Nurses and e-health: myths and misconceptions, 24 Apr 2006, Bournemouth
- Ophthalmic Nursing Forum Annual Conference, Expertise in advanced practice, 24 Jun 2005, Bristol
- RCN Minor Injury Network Group Conference, First contact, nurse practitioner & emergency care role: what are they and what impact will they have on unscheduled care?, 14 Sep 2004, Sheffield
- 2nd National Emergency Nursing Research Conference, Coordinating work: the use of experiential knowledge by nurses when making triage dispositions, 22 Oct 1999, Keele University
- 4th International Qualitative Health Research Conference,, Moving on through: managing the process of initial assessment in the A&E department,, 12 Feb 1998, Vancouver, Canada
- Registered General Nurse (RGN) in Adult Nursing (General Nursing Council (GNC), 1980)
- Diploma in Nursing in Nursing (University of London, 1983)
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Education of Adults in Teaching (Cardiff University, 1988)
- BSc (Hons) in Nursing (Bournemouth University, 1992)
- PhD in Nursing (London South Bank University, 2003)
- BA (Hons) in Applied Theology (University of Gloucester, 2011)
- Nursing and Midwifery Council, Registered Nurse & Lecturer / Practice Educator (1980-),
- Royal College of Nursing, Member,