- 01202 965137
- cfarbrot at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Hospitality Management
- Dorset House DG21, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am the Programme Leader for the undergraduate Hospitality programme in the School of Tourism. This is a successful programme and is amongst the best in the UK with recent top positions in the Guardian and The Times' league tables. Leading and teaching on the programmes gives me significant job satisfaction.
I am an Associate of the HE Academy¿s Hospitality Leisure, Sport and Tourism Subject Network and was appointed to sit on their Advisory Panel. I am Vice Chair of the Council for Hospitality Management in Education (CHME). These committees ensure that I am at the leading edge of learning and teaching developments nationally within the hospitality subject area. This has led to much of my research.
My international experience is enhanced through the fact that I hold a post as Visiting Faculty at the Emirates Academy of Hospitality Management in Dubai, UAE. I have previously worked as a Tempus Project Member setting up and supporting the Centre for Tourism Training and Research in Turkmenistan... This was a three year project. I have also had the pleasure of working in Switzerland with Lusanne Hotel School and in India with Napier University.
My management background in the Food Service Management Sector has led to research and consultancy interests in this area. I also have pedagogic research interests in personal tutoring and in work based learning.more
- Brown, L., Farbrother, C. and Dazam, J., 2019. Longing for a taste of home. British Food Journal, 121 (12), 3281-3292.
- Farbrother, C., 2008. Staying with Like Minded People for Free: A New Hospitality. Hospitality Review, October, 37-40.
- Farbrother, C. and Thomas, S., 2008. The value of Real Working Environments in Developing Employability. LINK, 25-27.
- Farbrother, C. and Dutton, C., 2005. Responding to Change in Higher Education Hospitality Provision: Two Universities’ Approaches. LINK, 10-11.
- Farbrother, C., 1990. Best possible taste?. Interview by Charlotte Alderman. Nurs Stand, 4 (31), 22-23.
- Farbrother, C. and Thomas, S., 2017. The role of professional bodies in the development of talent. In: Horner, S., ed. Talent Management in Hospitality and Tourism. United Kingdom: Goodfellows.
- Hartwell, H. and Farbrother, C., 2006. Enhancing the First Year Experience Through Personal Tutoring. In: Thomas, L. and Hixenbaugh, P., eds. Perspectives on Personal Tutoring in Mass Higher Education. Stoke-on-Trent, England: Higher Education Authority.
- Farbrother, C., 2010. Non-Commercial Homestay;an exploration of encounters and experiences of guests visiting the UK. In: CHME National Research Conference 5-7 May 2010 University of Surrey, Horsley Towers, Surrey, England.
- Farbrother, C., Lugosi, P. and Thomas, S., 2009. Development and enhancement of employability skills through a real working environment. In: Assessment and Feedback - What's The Answer? Higher Education Academy Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Network Annual Conference 12 November 2009 St Hugh's College, Oxford.
- Farbrother, C., 2008. Staying with Like Minded People for Free:A new hospitality? In: CHME National Research Conference 13-15 May 2008 Oxford,.
- Farbrother, C., 2007. Developing Employability Through a Real Working Environment: Changes and Their Impact. In: Annual Council for Hospitality Management Education (CHME) Research 9-11 May 2007 Randolph Hotel, Oxford.
- Farbrother, C., 2007. Enhancing the First Year Experience Through a Cohesive Strategy of Experiences. In: The Council for Hospitality Management Education (CHME) 3rd Annual Student Conference 9 March 2007 University of Gloucester, England.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Food and Beverage Management
- Hospitality Management
- Professionalism & Leadership
- Events Design & Production
- Visiting Faculty @ Emirates Academy of Hospitality Management
- University of Brighton, External Examiner (2012-2016)
- UCB, External Examiner (2011-2015)
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Annual talk at Avonbourne School
- MSc in Facilities Management (Strathclyde University, 2001)
- BSc (Hons) in Hospitality & Related Services (Leeds Metropolitan University, 1992)
- HND in Hotel, Catering and Institutional Management (BTEC, 1986)
- Educational Excellence Staff Development Programme (Bournemouth University, 2013)
- Excellence in Learning and Teaching Award (BU, 2009)
- CHME, Chair (2012-), http://www.chme.co.uk/
- HLST Subject Network of the HE Academy, Associate (-2012),
- Institute of Hospitality (MIH), Member,