- 01202 961655
- cwilliams at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Principal Academic
- Weymouth House W243, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Chris Williams is a Senior Principal Academic and, from 2012 until 2019, Associate Dean and Head of Department at the NCCA (National Centre for Computer Animation) at Bournemouth University in the UK.
Formerly he was Head of Animation and Visual Effects at Teesside University in Middlesbrough in the north east of England, where he was also the founder and Director of Animex, the UK's biggest International Festival of Animation and Computer Games.
Prior to joining academia, Chris worked as a designer and animator for computer games developer Ubisoft Reflections, the studio responsible for the Destruction Derby and Driver games franchises.
Chris has worked as a consultant at academic institutions in the UK and the US and has lectured on animation in the US, Canada, Malaysia, Japan, China, Ireland and Spain.
- Williams, C., 2020. Oscars 2020: Why people are talking about visual effects. theconversation.com. Available from: https://theconversation.com/oscars-2020-why-people-are-talking-about-visual-effects-131099.
- Williams, C. and Polkinghorne, M., 2019. Accreditation of Higher Education in the UK: The rise of PSRBs & potential influences. In: BU PGR Conference 2019.
- Williams, C. and Polkinghorne, M., 2018. Defining the Stakeholder Interface: UK Higher Education and the Animation / Visual Effects Industry. In: PGR Live Exhibition 2018.
Children's Animation Workshop, The Children's Museum, Pittsburgh, USA, 31 Aug 2010 more
Invited to deliver a children’s animation workshop in conjunction with the International Society of Vertebrate Palaeontology at the Children’s Museum, Pittsburgh, USA
Children's Animation Workshop, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA, 31 Aug 2009 more
Invited to deliver a children’s animation workshop with victims of Hurricane Katrina at the Red Stick Animation Festival, Baton Rouge, USA.
- University of South Wales, External Panel Member, Curriculum Validation (2019-), https://www.southwales.ac.uk/
- Ulster University, External Panel Member, Curriculum Validation (2018-), https://www.ulster.ac.uk/
- NextGen Skills Academy, Board Member (2017-), https://www.nextgenskillsacademy.com/
- University of Worcester, External Examiner (2017-2020), https://www.worcester.ac.uk/
- Liverpool Media Academy, External Panel Member, Curriculum Validation (2016-), https://www.lma.ac.uk/
- University of Greenwich, External Examiner (2015-2017), http://www.gre.ac.uk/
- University of Bolton, External Examiner (2012-2017), http://www.bolton.ac.uk/
- Creative Skillset, Steering Group Member (2012-2013), http://creativeskillset.org/
- University of Wolverhampton, External Panel Member, Curriculum Validation (2011-), http://www.wlv.ac.uk/
- Hangzhou International Ani-Com College, Hangzhou Normal University, Hangzhou, China, Visiting Professor (2011-)
- Suzhou TOP Institute of Information Technology, Suzhou, China, Visiting Professor (2010-2011)
- University of the West of Scotland, External Examiner (2009-2012), http://www.uws.ac.uk/
- Bradford Animation Festival, Invited to be part of the professional jury at the (2009-), http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/bradfordanimationfestival
- University of Cumbria, External Panel Member, Curriculum Validation (2008-), http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/
- Arts University Bournemouth, External Panel Member, Curriculum Validation (2008-), http://aub.ac.uk/
- Bournemouth and Poole College, External Examiner (2007-2011), http://www.thecollege.co.uk/
- Creative Skillset, Steering Group Member (2007-2008), http://creativeskillset.org/
- Kingston University, External Examiner (2004-2007), http://www.kingston.ac.uk/
- University of Leeds, External Examiner (2004-2007), https://www.leeds.ac.uk/
- Cleveland College of Art and Design, Member of the College Industry Advisory Board (2004-2007), http://ccad.ac.uk/
- The 5th Silk Road International Arts Festival including the 2018 China Cartoon Industry Forum, British Animation, An Academic's Perspective, 26 Sep 2018, Xi'an, China
- XTAlents, CICAF, The Industry and Academy in the UK, 01 Jan 2016, Hangzhou, China
- FMX, Panel discussion on Research and development and educational engagement with the industry, 01 Jan 2014, Stuttgart, Germany
- Animex, Host and speaker for two days of the Animex International Festival of Animation and Computer Games, 13 Feb 2013, Teesside University, Middlesbrough, UK
- Bradford Animation Festival, Panel discussion on the importance of the student film, 01 Jan 2012, The National Media Museum, Bradford, UK
- China International Cartoon and Animation Festival (CICAF), Invited by British Council to represent UK Animation Educators as a speaker at the Festival, 01 Jan 2011, Hangzhou, China
- Animated Encounters, Panel discussion on the differences and similarities between UK and European animation education, 01 Jan 2011, Bristol, UK
- Brosta TV Awards, Presentation to prospective award winners, 01 Jan 2008, Tokyo, Japan
- Asia Youth Animation and Comics Conference (AYACC), Delivered presentations to conference delegates in 2007, 2009 and 2010, 31 Aug 2007, Guiyang, China
- Digital Media Education Forum, The role of accreditation in creative curriculum in the UK, 01 Jan 2007, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, USA
- Red Stick Animation Festival, Delivered presentations to festival delegates in 2005, 2006 and 2008, 01 Jan 2005, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
- Animation Days, Panel discussion on the challenges facing UK HE institutions in delivering effective animation courses, 01 Jan 2002, Kingston University, UK
- Curriculum Review, Consultancy. University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Curriculum Development, Consultancy. California State University, San Bernardino, California, USA, Professor Stuart Sumida, 31 Jul 2008
- Festival Consultant, Consultancy. Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA, Dr Stacey Simmons, 31 Aug 2004
- PGCE in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (Teesside University, 1999)
- MSc in Computer Aided Graphical Technology Applications (Teesside University, 1995)
- BA (Hons) in Industrial Design (Engineering) (Teesside University, 1993)
- Best Student Animation of the Year, Teesside University (Cinesite, 1995)
- Winner of the Royal Society of Arts Student Design Award, Communications and Information Technology Sector (Royal Society of Arts, 1989)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow, https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/