Dr Deborah Gabriel
- 01202 965275
- dgabriel at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Marketing Communications
- Weymouth House W420, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr Deborah Gabriel is a Senior Academic based in the Faculty of Media and Communication. Her work is largely focused on embedding social justice and equality into teaching, research and professional practice. Her background is in journalism and strategic communication, especially in terms of critiquing inequalities within the media, social activism and counterhegemonic practice. She specialises in social justice pedagogy and critical race pedagogy, teaching from a critical race/gender standpoint. She developed the 3D Pedagogy Framework to decolonise, democratise and diversify the higher education curriculum and is expert in qualitative-interpretative research using critical, transformative and emancipatory paradigms, heavily informed by Black feminism and critical race theory. She is the Founder and Director of Black British Academics, an influential network of intellectuals and scholar-activists focused on tackling racial inequality in higher education. She also leads on strategic, whole institution approaches to advance race equality at the University as Co-Chair of the Race Equality Steering Group.
Dr Gabriel's research falls into two distinct areas. The first is concerned with the dynamics of race, ethnicity and culture in higher education and pedagogical research centred on decolonising, democratising and diversifying the curriculum. The second is concerned with the politics of racialised identity, especially counterhegemonic practice and race and representation in media and popular culture. She employs a range of innovative research methods including critical ethnography, autoethnography, virtual ethnography and cyberethnography alongside traditional methods such as focus groups, interviews and case studies, Deborah is interested in supervising students on qualitative research projects related to her research interests as outlined above.
- Gabriel, D., 2017. Pedagogies of social justice and cultural democracy in media higher education. Media Education Research Journal.
- Gabriel, D., 2016. Blogging While Black, British & Female: A Critical Study On Discursive Activism. Information, Communication and Society, 20.
- Gabriel, D., 2015. Challenging the Whiteness of Britishness: Co-creating British Social History in the Blogosphere. Online Journal of Media and Communication Technologies, 6 (4).
- Gabriel, D. and Tate, S.A., 2017. Inside the Ivory Tower: Narratives of Women of Colour Surviving and Thriving in British Academia. London: Trentham Books.
- Gabriel, D., 2017. Preface.
- Gabriel, D., 2007. Layers of Blackness: Colourism in the African Diaspora. London: Imani Media Ltd.
- Gabriel, D., 2017. Overcoming objectification and dehumanisation in academia. In: Gabriel, D. and Tate, S.A., eds. Inside the Ivory Tower: Narratives of Women of Colour Surviving and Thriving in British Academia. London: Trentham Books.
- Gabriel, D., 2016. Race, Racism and Resistance in British Academia. In: Fereidooni,, K. and El, M., eds. A Critical Study of (Trans) National Racism: Interdependence of Racist Phenomenon and Resistance Forms. Wiesbaden: SpringerVS.
- Gabriel, D., 2015. Alternative Voices in Alternative Spaces: Counterhegemonic Discourse in the Blogosphere. In: Thorsen, E., Jackson, D., Savigny, H. and Alexander, J., eds. Media, Margins and Civic Agency. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Gabriel, D., 2018. 3D Pedagogy Workshop - Enhancing Equality, Diversity & Inclusion in Teaching & Learning. In: Canadian International Conference on Ediucation 25-28 June 2018 Toronto.
- Gabriel, D., 2018. Women of Colour in the Ivory Tower: How Far Have We Come and How Far Have We to Go? In: 1918-2018:100 Years of the Women’s Vote in Britain: How Far Have We Come 15 June 2018 London South Bank University.
- Gabriel, D., 2018. Enhancing teaching and learning through 3D pedagogy workshops that decolonise, democratise and diversify the curriculum. In: 18th International Conference on Diversity in Organizations, Communities & Nations 6-8 June 2018 University of Texas.
- Gabriel, D., 2018. Promoting Social Transformation in Communication Practice: Pedagogies of Social Justice & Cultural Democracy. In: 18th Int'l Conference on E-learning & Innovative Pedagogies 2-3 March 2018 St John's University New York.
- Gabriel, D., 2017. Embedding Inclusion, Equality and Liberation in Media Higher Education. In: Global Conference on Education, Research and Policy 11 April 2017 Holiday Inn, College Park, Washington DC.
- Gabriel, D., 2016. Inside the Ivory Tower: Women’s Self-Empowerment and Leadership through the Black Sister Network. In: Third International Conference on Advances in Women's Studies 30-31 July 2016 Buffalo, New York State.
- Gabriel, D. and Richards, A., 2016. Social Justice Pedagogy & Cultural Democracy: Promoting Inclusion & Equality in Further & Higher Education. In: IAFOR International Conference on Education 8-11 January 2016 Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Gabriel, D., 2015. Challenging the whiteness of Britishness: co-creating British social history in the blogosphere. In: 4th International Conference on Communication, Media, Technology & Design 18-19 May 2015 Dubai. online: ICCMTD.
- Gabriel, D., 2014. Blogging While Black, British and Female: Identity, Representation and Social Impact in the Blogogsphere. In: Cyberspace 2014 28-29 November 2014 Brno, Czech Republic.
- Gabriel, D., 2013. Alternative Voices in Alternative Spaces: Counterhegemonic Discourse in the Blogosphere. In: Minority Voices: Media & Politics 13-14 November 2013 Bournemouth University.
- Gabriel, D., 2012. Finding alternative voices in the blogosphere using autobiographical ethnography and virtual ethnography in a study on African Caribbean Bloggers. In: Research Methods in Media Discourse 17 November 2012 De Montfort University.
- Gabriel, D., 2012. African Caribbean Bloggers in the UK: Alternative Voices on the Web. In: Crossroads in Cultural Studies 2-5 July 2012 Sorbonne University, Paris.
- Gabriel, D., 2017. Strategic Review of Equality & Inclusion at Ravensbourne UCA. London: Black British Academics. Available from: http://blackbritishacademics.co.uk/.
- Gabriel, D. and Richards, A., 2017. London College of Fashion Race Equality Evaluation Report. UAL/Black British Academics. Available from: http://blackbritishacademics.co.uk/.
- Gabriel, D. and Richards, A., 2016. London College of Communication Race Equality Evaluation Report. London: UAL/Black British Academics. Available from: http://blackbritishacademics.co.uk/.
- Gabriel, D., 2015. Black British Academics Black Sister Network Consultation Survey Report. London: http://blackbritishacademics.co.uk/. Available from: http://blackbritishacademics.co.uk/.
- Gabriel, D. and Richards, A., 2015. Ravensbourne UCA Race Equality Evaluation Report. London: UAL/Black British Academics. Available from: http://blackbritishacademics.co.uk/.
- Gabriel, D., 2015. Culturally Democratic Voices: Perspectives and Experiences of Racialised Minority Staff at a UK University. UK: http://blackbritishacademics.co.uk/. Available from: http://blackbritishacademics.co.uk/.
- Gabriel, D., 2014. Black British Academics Leaders Forum Report. http://blackbritishacademics.co.uk/. Available from: http://blackbritishacademics.co.uk/.
- Gabriel, D., 2014. Black British Academics Race Equality Survey. London: http://blackbritishacademics.co.uk/. Available from: http://blackbritishacademics.co.uk/.
- Gabriel, D., 2018. Social closure White male privilege and female complicity:why gender equality still has a long way to go.
- Gabriel, D., 2017. The othering and objectification of Diane Abbott MP in the 2017 UK General Election. Centre for the Study of Journalism, Culture & Community.
- Gabriel, D., 2016. Belonging, racism and white backlash in the 2016 US Presidential Election. Centre for the Study of Journalism Culture and Community.
- Kimberley McFarland. Exploring how educators can use experiential e-learning to teach entrepreneurial and business literacy to high school students
Profile of Teaching UG
- Dissertation Supervisor L6
- Political Sociology L4 (Unit Leader & Creator)
- Race, Media and Inequality L6 (Unit Leader & Creator)
Cultural Democracy: A Framework for Race Equality, Swansea University, 23 Oct 2014 more
Annual Equality Lecture
Teaching for Social Change, Sheffield Hallam University, 18 Oct 2017 more
Institute of Education
Blending Scholarship & Activism, De Montfort University, 14 Feb 2018 more
Teaching for Equality and Social Justice, University of Brighton, 02 May 2018 more
School of Sport and Service Management,
Intersectionality and Gender Equality, Brunel University, 17 Oct 2018 more
Developing an Intersectional Mission for Gender Equality-Athena Swan Keynote Lecture
Navigating 'Success' in Academia, Francis Crick Institute, 24 Oct 2018 more
PRISM Network Speaker Series
Developing a Critical Race Strategy for Equality, Portsmouth University, 31 Oct 2018 more
Race Equality Charter Launch
- 3D Pedagogy Framework: Improving success for students of colour through enhanced education practice (Bournemouth University, 30 Sep 2018). Awarded
- Enhancing Educational Practice Through 3D Pedagogy Workshops (ACORN FUND, Bournemouth University, 04 May 2018). Completed
- Generating Research Impact Through Engagement With the Communication Industries (Bournemouth University, 03 Feb 2017). Completed
- Cultural Democracy Framework for Race Equality UK Partnership Project (Bournemouth University, 01 Apr 2015). Completed
- Offa & Runnymede, Advisory Board Member (2018-)
- Critical Studies in Television, Peer Reviewer (2018-)
- Lifescience Global, Editorial Board Member (2017-2018)
- AHRC Common Cause Project: Enriching the Arts & Humanities Through Collaborations Between Universities and BAME Community Partners, Advisory Board Member (2016-2018)
- Ravensbourne University for the Creative Arts, Chair, Strategic Review of Equality and Inclusion (2016-)
- Michigan State University Press, Member of the Advisory Editorial Board (2015-), http://msupress.org/books/; International Race and Education Book Series
- Black British Academics, Founder & Director (2013-), http://blackbritishacademics.co.uk/
- Member, TeachBU Assessment Panel
- Co- Chair, Race Equality Charter Self-Assessment Team
- Member, Quality Assurance & Enhancement Group
- Curriculum Diversification & Inclusive Teaching Practice Training Programme, Training and Development. University of the Arts London, Aisha Richards, 01 Aug 2016
- Curriculum Diversification Programme, Curriculum Review and Development. London College of Communication, Aisha Richards, 20 Nov 2015
- Consultation on Race Equality Issues, Research. Leeds Beckett University
- Curriculum Diversification Programme, Curriculum Review and Development. Ravensbourne University for the Creative Arts, Aisha Richards, 24 Oct 2014
- Programme & Unit Modifications, 16 May 2018
- Doctoral Supervision, 16 Feb 2016, Certificate of Doctoral Supervision
- BU Impressions - Leading Service Improvement, 06 Mar 2015, Institute of Leadership Management Certificate
- BA (Hons) in Journalism Studies (London Metropolitan University, 2007)
- PGCE in Teaching in Higher Education (University of the Arts London, 2008)
- PhD in Media and Cultural Studies (University of Salford, 2014)
- Institute of Leadership Management Certificate in Leading Service Improvement (Institute of Leadership Management, 2015)
- James Thomas Memorial Prize for Best Paper at the Media & Minorities Conference (Media & Politics Group, Bournemouth University, 2013)
- You're Brilliant Award 2016/17 "for developing Media Inequality unit to develop the cultural competencies of students & continuously working towards meaningful social change." (SUBU)
- You're Brilliant Award 2017/18 "Really helpful, friendly & engaging & has opened my eyes up to the inequalities we face in our society. Has made my final year really great so far & always there to offer support, a credit to the university & a role model & inspiration to all!" (SUBU)
- Academic Excellence Award - Winner (Dorset Ethnic Minority Awards, 2018)
- Short-listed Nominee for Best Diversity Resource (Black British Academics) (Excellence in Diversity Awards, 2015)
- Short-listed Nominee for Best Diversity Resource 2018 (Black British Academics) (Excellence in Diversity Awards, 2018)
- Staff Member of the Year: SUBU BME Awards (SUBU, 2018)
- BU Environment & Threats Strategic Research Group, Convenor (2018-), https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/about/our-faculties/faculty-science-technology/our-departments/department-life-environmental-sciences/environment-threats-strategic-research-group
- Centre for Excellence in Media Practice (CEMP), Member (2017-), https://www.cemp.ac.uk/
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2016-),
External Media and Press
- What's it like to be a Black female academic?, The Early Hour, 12 Jan 2017. http://theearlyhour.com/2017/01/12/black-female-academic/
- SOAS students call for ‘white philosophers to be dropped from curriculum’, The Independent, 08 Jan 2017. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/soas-university-of-london-students-union-white-philosophers-curriculum-syllabus-a7515716.html
- Black and minority ethnic academics set their sights high at first diversity forum, Research Fortnight, 03 Sep 2014. http://www.researchresearch.com/news/article/?articleId=1346246
- Do universities have a problem with promoting their BAME staff?, Guardian Higher Education Network, 16 Nov 2017. https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2017/nov/16/do-universities-have-a-problem-with-promoting-their-bame-staff
- I've been mistaken for the coffee lady': experiences of black female academics, Guardian Higher Education Network, 16 Nov 2017. https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2017/nov/16/black-female-academics-ive-been-mistaken-for-the-coffee-lady
- How Can The 'Angry Black Woman' Stereotype Be Challenged?, The Voice Newspaper, 28 Sep 2013. http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/how-can-angry-black-woman-stereotype-be-challenged?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
- New kids on the blog: The black bloggers who are leading the online revolution, The Voice Newspaper, 14 Mar 2013. http://deborahgabriel.com/press/
- Critical consciousness: black female academics tell their stories, Times Higher Education, 03 Dec 2017. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/books/critical-consciousness-black-female-academics-tell-their-stories
- Black female academics share their experiences, The Voice Online, 11 Feb 2018. http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/black-female-academics-share-their-experiences
- The experiences of women of colour can challenge academia’s status quo, Times Higher Education, 23 Apr 2018. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/blog/experiences-women-colour-can-challenge-academias-status-quo
- BBC News (6 & 10 O'Clock), Racial inequality in higher education: ethnic pay gap and disparities around career progression.
- BBC Black - Radio Berkshire, A discussion with Bridgette Tetteh on the angry Black woman stereotype and its use in the representation of Serena Williams in the news media.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/p06jqjc0
- Devon Daley, An Interview with BBC Radio Derby at the VIP launch of Inside the Ivory Tower: Narratives of Women of Colour Surviving and Thriving in British Academia, in central London.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05n7zpk
- Julian Clegg, On Thursday 13 October, BBC Radio Solent reporter Rebecca Romo visited Lecturer Dr Deborah Gabriel and Media Inequality students at the Talbot campus to record interviews for the Breakfast Show on how the unit can help bring positive changes to the advertising industry.. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2016-10-21/bu-students-staff-talk-about-media-inequality-bbc-solent
- Devon Daley, An interview with BBC Radio Derby about Black British Acaemics' Leaders Forum held at the University of Westminster in October 2014.. http://deborahgabriel.com/press/
- BBC Breakfast, A studio discussion on British Empire and the Honours system with historian Dickie Arbiter.. https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=U6sXyJivUa0