Professor Dean Patton
- 01202 968747
- dpatton at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Professor of Entrepreneurship and Director of the Centre for Enterprise
- Executive Business Centre EB503, Bournemouth University, 89 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth, BH8 8EB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dean Patton is Professor of Entrepreneurship in the Faculty of Management at Bournemouth University. He has worked in the field of entrepreneurship and small firms for some three decades; involved in both the research and the teaching of the subject. Over that period his work, in collaboration with a number of colleagues, has been disseminated at conferences and through journal articles, books and reports. The research undertaken has been applied in nature and he has worked closely with agencies charged with supporting entrepreneurial activity both regionally and nationally. Dean's recent research has been closely aligned to government policy that is aimed at developing the knowledge based economy and the commercialisation of research ideas. This has recently been extended to include the adoption of digital technologies in the SME sector which is the subject of an on-going project with Dr Phillip Alford, Dr Thanh Huynh and colleagues from Denmark and Portugal. I currently supervise a number of doctoral students in related areas and welcome inquiries from prospective PhD applicants with interests in similar fields of study.
The focus of my research is in the area of SMEs and growth and I currently have a number of active projects that reflect this theme. • Work is on-going that examines the role of dynamic capabilities and SME performance (with Thanh Huynh from Bournemouth University). • A recent Erasmus + grant was awarded to investigate the adoption and use of digital technologies by the SME sector In the UK, Denmark and Portugal (with Philip Alford and Thanh Huynh from Bournemouth University).
- A paper has been recently published on the impact of overconfidence on the performance of SMEs ( undertaken with Giampaolo Viglia from the University of Portsmouth and Anna Chiara Invernizzi, Anna Menozzi and Diana Anna Passarani from University of Piemonte, Itlay
- Rong, K., Patton, D. and Chen, W., 2018. Business models dynamics and business ecosystems in the emerging 3D printing industry. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 134, 234-245.
- Di Fatta, D., Patton, D. and Viglia, G., 2018. The determinants of conversion rates in SME e-commerce websites. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 41, 161-168.
- Huynh, T., Patton, D., Arias-Aranda, D. and Molina-Fernández, L.M., 2017. University spin-off's performance: Capabilities and networks of founding teams at creation phase. Journal of Business Research, 78, 10-22.
- Invernizzi, A.C., Menozzi, A., Passarani, D.A., Patton, D. and Viglia, G., 2017. Entrepreneurial overconfidence and its impact upon performance. International Small Business Journal: Researching Entrepreneurship, 35 (6), 709-728.
- Abeysekera, R., Patton, D. and Mullineux, A., 2017. Co-production in business training in microfinance institutions: A conceptual approach. World Review of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development, 13 (1), 52-68.
- Abeysekera, R., Patton, D. and Mullineux, A., 2016. Co-production in Business Counselling in Microfinance Setting: A conceptual approach. Journal of Enterprising Culture.
- Patton, D., 2014. Realizing Potential: The Impact of Business Incubation upon the Absorptive Capacity of New Technology Based Firms. International Small Business Journal.
- Patton, D. and Higgs, M., 2013. The role of shared leadership in the strategic decision making processes of new technology based firms. International Journal of Innovation Management, 17 (4).
- Patton, D. and Marlow, S., 2011. University Technology Business Incubators - Helping New Entrepreneurial Firms to Learn to Grow. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, 29, 911-926.
- Patton, D., Warren, L. and Bream, D., 2009. Elements that underpin high-tech business incubation processes. Journal of Technology Transfer, 34 (6), 621-636.
- Warren, L., Patton, D. and Bream, D., 2009. Knowledge acquisition processes during the incubation of new high technology firms. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 5, 481-495.
- Patton, D., Warren, L. and Bream, D., 2009. Intangible Elements That Underpin High-Tech Business Incubation Processes. Journal of Technology Transfer, 34, 621-636.
- Ram, M., Jones, T. and Patton, D., 2006. Ethnic Managerialism and Its Discontents. Policy studies : the journal of the Policy Studies Institute, 27, 295-309.
- Patton, D., 2005. A quantitative content analysis of the characteristics of rapid-growth firms and their founders. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research, 11 (6), 436-438.
- Worthington, I. and Patton, D., 2005. Strategic intent in the management of the green environment within SMEs. An analysis of the UK screen-printing sector. Long Range Planning, 38 (2), 197-212.
- Marlow, S. and Patton, D., 2005. All credit to men? Entrepreneurship, Finance and Gender. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 29, 717-735.
- Patton, D., 2004. Training in smaller firms. , 83-108.
- Patton, D., Ram, R., Marlow, S. and Sanghera, K., 2003. Interpretive analysis as an evaluative tool: the case of Mustard.uk.com, a high-growth small business programme. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, 21, 813-824.
- Patton, D. and Worthington, I., 2003. SMEs and environmental regulations: a study of the UK screen-printing sector. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, 21, 549-566.
- Worthington, I., Patton, D. and Lindley, I., 2003. Local Authorities, Business and LA21: A Study of East Midlands Sustainable Development Partnerships. Local Government Studies, 29, 91-110.
- Marlow, S. and Patton, D., 2002. Minding the gap between employers and employees: The challenge for owner-managers of smaller manufacturing firms. Employee Relations, 24 (5), 523-539.
- Patton, D. and Marlow, S., 2002. The Determinants of Management Training in Small Firms in the UK: What role does strategy play? Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 9, 260-270.
- Marlow, S. and Patton, D., 2002. Minding the Gap: the challenges of managing the employment relationship in smaller firms. Employee Relations, 24, 523-539.
- Ram, M., Marlow, S. and Patton, D., 2001. Managing the locals: employee relations in South Asian restaurants. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 13, 229-245.
- Hannon, P., Patton, D. and Marlow, S., 2000. Transactional learning relationships:developing management competencies for effective small firm-stakeholder interactions. Education and Training, 42, 237-246.
- Patton, D., Marlow, S. and Hannon, P., 2000. The Relationship Between Training and Small Firm Performance: Research frameworks and lost quests. International Small Business Journal, 19, 11-27.
- Elliott, D. and Patton, D., 1998. Environmental audit response: The case of the engineering sector. Greener Management International, 83-96.
- Patton, D. and Worthington, I., 1996. Towards the Green County: Hertfordshire (UK). Journal of the European Environmental Management Association, 9.
- Worthington, I. and Patton, D., 1996. Developing Local Agenda 21:A case study of five local authorities in the UK. Sustainable Development, 4, 36-41.
- Elliott, D. and Patton, D., 1996. UK Business and Environmental Strategy: A survey and analysis of East Midlands Firms' approaches to environmental audit. Greener Management International.
- Worthington, I. and Patton, D., 1995. Researching Local Authority Responses to LA21. Local Government Policy Making, 22.
- Patton, D. and Baron, P.J., 1995. Factors Influencing Companies' Response to Environmental Responsitbility. Eco-Management and Auditing, 2, 41-46.
- Patton, D., Elliott, D. and Lenaghan, C., 1994. The Environmental Responsibility of Small firms investigating Current Awareness and Practice. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 1, 22-28.
- Marlow, S. and Patton, D., 1993. Managing the employment relationship in smaller firms: possibilities for human resource management. International Small Business Journal, 11, 57-65.
- The Managing of labour in small firms.. London: Routledge.
- Marlow, S. and Patton, D., 2005. The Financing of Small Businesses - Female Experiences and Strategies. In: Fielden, S. and Davidson, M., eds. International Handbook of Women and Small Business Entrepreneurship. London: Edward Elgar.
- Patton, D. and Worthington, I., 1999. Local Agenda 21 and Economic Development: A Case Study of 5 Local Authorities. In: Gouldson, A. and Robertson, P., eds. Integrating Environment and Economy: Strategies for Local and Regional Government. Routledge.
- Patton, D., 1994. Corporate Social Responsibility. In: Worthington, I. and Britton, C., eds. The Business Environment. London: Pitman.
- Huynh, T. and Patton, D., 2018. Dynamic Capabilities of Management Teams, SME’s Competitive Advantage and Performance: The Role of Gender Diversity. In: RENT 2018 - RESEARCH IN ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND SMALL BUSINESS 15-16 November 2018 Toledo, Spain.
- Huynh, T. and Patton, D., 2018. The Role of Gender Diversity in A Model of the Dynamic Capabilities of Management Teams, SME’s Competitive Advantage and Performance. In: International Conference on Current Issues of Social Sciences and Business 21-23 July 2018 Barcelona.
- Huynh, T. and Patton, D., 2018. Entrepreneurial Orientation of Management Teams, SME’s Competitive Advantage and Performance: The Role of Gender Diversity. In: EconWorld2018@Amsterdam 24-26 July 2018 Amsterdam.
- Huynh, T., Patton, D. and Andorlini, S., 2018. The Impact of Dynamic Capabilities on SME’s Competitive Advantage and Performance: An Empirical Study from the Gender Perspective of Management Teams. In: International Conference on Entrepreneurship studies, Business, Economy, and Management Science (ESBEM) 2-3 July 2018 Singapore.
- Huynh, T. and Patton, D., 2017. Dynamic Capabilities of SMEs: The Contributions of Bricolage and Social Capital. In: Research in Entrepreneurship and Small Business 16-17 November 2017 Lund, Sweden.
- Patton, D., Di Fatta, D. and Viglia, G., 2017. Don't let me down: How to boost conversion rates in e-commerce websites. In: Global Innovation and Knowledge Academy (GIKA) 28-30 June 2017 Lisbon.
- Huynh, T. and Patton, D., 2016. Start-up’s Performance: An Empirical Study on Dynamic Capabilities Under The Contributions of Bricolage and Social Capital. In: Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference 8-11 June 2016 Bodø, Norway.
- Huynh, T. and Patton, D., 2015. UNIVERSITY SPIN-OFF PERFORMANCE: AN EMPIRICAL STUDY. In: Zacharakis, A., ed. Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference (BCERC) 10-13 June 2015 Boston, USA.
- Huynh, T. and Patton, D., 2015. Early-stage financing of university spin-offs: The impact of entrepreneurial capabilities and social networks of founding teams during start-ups. 272-280.
- Huynh, T. and Patton, D., 2014. Entrepreneurship and Equity Crowdfunding: A Research Agenda. In: Research in Entrepreneurship and Small Business (RENT) 19-21 November 2014 Luxembourg.
- Huynh, T. and Patton, D., 2014. University Spin-off Fundraising: The Impact of Entrepreneurial Capabilities and Social Networks Of Founding Teams during Start-ups. In: Zacharakis, A., ed. Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference (BCERC 2014) 4-7 June 2014 London, Ontario, Canada.
- Huynh, T. and Patton, D., 2014. The Performance of University Spin-Offs: The Impact of Entrepreneurial Capabilities and Social Networks of Founding Teams during Start-Ups. In: Brownlee, A., ed. The United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (USASBE) 9-12 January 2014 Fort Worth, Texas.
- Huynh, T. and Patton, D., 2013. The Performance of University Spin-Offs: The Impact of Entrepreneurial Capabilities and Social Networks of Founding Teams during Start-Ups. In: Research in Entrepreneurship and Small Business (RENT) 20-22 November 2013 Vilnius, Lithuania.
- Huynh, T. and Patton, D., 2013. The Performance of University Spin-Offs: The Impact of Entrepreneurial Capabilities and Social Networks of Founding Teams during Start-Ups. In: Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (ISBE) 12-13 November 2013 Cardiff.
- Patton, D. and Marlow, S., 2010. New Entrepreneurial Firms: Learning to Overcome Liabilities of Newness Through University Technology Business Incubator Support. In: Rent XXIV - Research in Entrepreneurship and Small Business 18-19 November 2010 Maastricht, The Netherlands.
- Patton, D. and Higgs, M., 2010. The impact of shared leadership processes upon the development of new technology based firms (NTBFs). In: 33rd Annual ISBE Conference 3-4 November 2010 London.
- Patton, D. and Marlow, S., 2010. Risk, rationality and gender: A critical analysis of the demand for finance by women business owners. In: BAM2010: Management Research in a Changing Climate 14-16 September 2010 Octagon Centre, The University of Sheffield, England.
- Patton, D., 2009. How Do University Technology Business Incubators (UTBIs)Overcome The 'Liability of Newness?'. In: 32nd Annual ISBE Conference 3-6 November 2009 Liverpool, England.
- Patton, D., 2009. The impact of UCSFs on the entrepreneurial activity of universities. In: BAM 2009: British Academy of Management Conference. The End of the Pier? Competing perspectives on the challenges facing business and management 15-17 September 2009 Brighton Centre, Brighton, England.
- Patton, D., Warren, L. and Bream, D., 2007. Tacit requiements inherent in the high-tech incubation process. In: 30th Institute for Small Business & Entrepreneurship Conference 7-9 November 2007 Glasgow, Scotland.
- Patton, D., Marlow, S. and Sanghera, K., 2005. Investment Readiness Among New and Young High Growth Firms: The case of Mustard.UK.com. In: 25th Babson Kauffman Entrepreneurship Research Conference (BKERC) 9-11 June 2005 Babson-Kauffman Entrepreneurship Research Centre, Wellesley, MA, USA.
- DURRATULAIN ABD RAZAK. Shared Leadership in High Grwoth Firms
- Ruwan Abeysekera, 2016. Coproduction in the Micro-finance Sector
- Francis Debono, 2014. Management Accounting in Small and Medium Enterprises
- Siti Sarah Omar, 2015. Social Networking and Innovation in Malaysian SMEs
- Yi-Wen Chao, 2016. University technology transfer and sensemaking
- Marie Howell. Leveraging Social Media To Facilitate Sustainability for Entrepreneurial Startups Within A Digital Incubator in a Technical Cluster
- Deborah Taylor. The development of Psychological Ownership in
- Maxwell Saban. How entrepreneurs learn to grow through mentoring
- Sally Wolfenden, 2019. The Effects of an Entrepreneurial Marketing Orientation on the use of Digital Technology for Marketing Communications in Small Hotel Businesses
- Professional SMEs in Tourism - Transnational Development of Skills Acquisition (Erasmus +, 01 Aug 2017). Awarded
- The competitiveness of various types of firm: The impact of social capital, bricolage and dynamic capabilities (Faculty of Management - Bournemouth University, 01 Dec 2015). In Progress
- Sad Reality or Bright Future? Exploring the adoption and deployment of the Internet of Things (IoT) by UK SMART SMEs. (FACULTY OF MANAGEMENT RESEARCH INVESTMENT FUND, Bournemouth University, 22 Nov 2015). In Progress
- Access to Finance for SMEs (ESRC, 01 Aug 2014). Completed
- PhD in Management (De Montfort University, 2000)
- PGCE in Education (University of Birmingham, 1984)
- BA (Hons) in Industrial Economics (University of Nottingham, 1981)
- Chartered management Institute, Associate (2016-),
- Dorset Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Non-Executive director,
- Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship, Member,
- Institute of Small Business and Entrepreneurship, Member (1994-),
- Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Dorset Chamber of Commerce and Industry