Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Derek trained as a transport planner and has many years experience teaching and researching in the growing area of how transport services can best be managed and developed to meet the needs of tourism and has written widely on this topic. He co-edited a Special edition of the Journal of Transport Geography on tourism transport at the destination in 2007.
Derek graduated with a BSc Hons degree in geography from the City of London Polytechnic where he developed his interest in the operational, planning and environmental challenges of providing mobility through transport services, which he developed by studying for an MSc Transportation and Planning Management at the Polytechnic of Central London. Upon graduation he joined the Polytechnic of Central London as a research fellow where he increasingly studied transport for leisure and tourism, undertaking a major study of tourist coaches in London.
He joined Bournemouth University in 1986 where he helped develop the first UG tourism degree in the UK... Derek has held a number of roles at Bournemouth including Course Director MSc Tourism Management, programme manager BA Tourism Management and Director of Studies.
Derek is an active member of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport in the UK where he served as the Chair of the Southern Section in 1995 - 96 and remains an active member of the committee. He is also a member of of the Leisure and Tourism Programme Committee of the European Transport Conference, which he chaired from to 2007 – 2011, when he also chaired the panel of judges for the Emerald Prize for the best Leisure and Tourism Paper. He also serves on the Connected Dorset committee of the LEP.
In his spare time Derek enjoys football and played as goalkeeper for the Bournemouth University Staff Team well into his 50s and continues to be involved refereeing when required. He also enjoys music playing both clarinet and guitar badly.more
I am currently completing a review article on the development and future direction of transport and tourism research.
I have had two chapters in books published in 2013. The chapter 'Transportation' appears in the 5th edition of the leading tourism textbook Tourism Principles & Practice, edited by Fletcher.J. Fyall.A. Gilbert.D. & Wanhill.S. (ed) and published by Pearson.
The chapter 'European Transport Policy and Tourism' appears in a new text Trends in European Tourism Planning and Organisation edited by Carlos Costa, Emese Panyik, Dimitrios Buhalis and published by Channel View.
I am continuing research into the relatively new niche market called 'slow travel' and sometimes termed 'slow tourism' developing ideas developed in my award winning paper deliver at the BEST EN conference in June 2012. I am exploring the differences in the interpretation of what constitutes 'slow tourism' highlighting significant conflicts in the concept between North America and Europe. The research is now introducing analysis from other regions and identifying the conflicts and the common characteristics in the interpretation, exploring reasons for the differences and identifying how the concept can be promoted as a form of sustainable tourism development. I will be presenting a further paper on the topic at the 2nd World Research Summit for Hospitality and Tourism in Orlando, Florida in December 2013.
- Smith, A., Robbins, D. and Dickinson, J.E., 2019. Defining sustainable transport in rural tourism: experiences from the New Forest. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 27 (2), 258-275.
- Robbins, D., 2016. The Business and Management of Ocean Cruises. TOURISM MANAGEMENT, 53, 122-124.
- Filimonau, V., Dickinson, J. and Robbins, D., 2014. The carbon impact of short-haul tourism: A case study of UK travel to Southern France using life cycle analysis. Journal of Cleaner Production, 64, 628-638.
- Filimonau, V., Dickinson, J., Robbins, D. and Reddy, M.V., 2013. The role of 'indirect' greenhouse gas emissions in tourism: Assessing the hidden carbon impacts from a holiday package tour. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 54, 78-91.
- Dickinson, J.E., Robbins, D., Filimonau, V., Hares, A. and Mika, M., 2013. Awareness of Tourism Impacts on Climate Change and the Implications for Travel Practice: A Polish Perspective. Journal of Travel Research, 52 (4), 506-519.
- Robbins, D., 2012. Public transport as a visitor attraction. , 86-102.
- White, P. and Robbins, D., 2012. Long-term development of express coach services in Britain. Research in Transportation Economics, 36 (1), 30-38.
- Sherwin, H., Parkhurst, G., Robbins, D. and Walker, I., 2011. Practices and motivations of travellers making rail-cycle trips. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Transport, 164 (3), 189-197.
- Dickinson, J.E., Lumsdon, L. and Robbins, D.K., 2011. Slow travel: Issues for tourism and climate change. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 19, 281-300.
- Filimonau, V., Dickinson, J.E., Robbins, D.K. and Reddy, M.V., 2011. A critical review of methods for tourism climate change appraisal: life cycle assessment as a new approach. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 19, 301-324.
- Robbins, D.K., Brackstone, J. and Dickinson, J.E., 2011. Planning approaches to achieve a more sustainable travel industry for tourism in the UK - a case study. European Journal of Transport and Infrastructure Research, 11, 320-333.
- Filimonau, V., Dickinson, J.E., Robbins, D.K. and Huijbregts, M., 2011. Reviewing the carbon footprint analysis of hotels: Life Cycle Energy Analysis (LCEA) as a holistic method for carbon impact appraisal of tourist accommodation. Journal of Cleaner Production, 19, 1917-1930.
- Dickinson, J.E., Robbins, D.K. and Lumsdon, L., 2010. Holiday travel discourses and climate change. Journal of Transport Geography, 18, 482-489.
- Robbins, D., 2009. Cruising in the Global Economy: Profits, Pleasure and Work at Sea. TOURISM MANAGEMENT, 30 (5), 775-777.
- Dickinson, J.E., Robbins, D.K. and Fletcher, J., 2009. Representation of transport: A Rural Destination Analysis. Annals of Tourism Research, 36, 103-123.
- Dickinson, J.E. and Robbins, D.K., 2009. “Other People, Other Times and Special Places”: A Social Representations Perspective of Cycling in a Tourism Destination. Tourism and Hospitality Planning and Development, 6, 69-85.
- Robbins, D.K., 2008. Book Review: Cruise Operations Management, by Philip Gibson. Butterworth Heinemann. London 2006. Tourism Management, 29, 601-602.
- Dickinson, J.E. and Robbins, D.K., 2008. Representations of Tourism Transport Problems in a Rural Destination. Tourism Management, 29, 1110-1121.
- Robbins, D.K., Dickinson, J.E. and Calver, S., 2007. Planning Transport for Special Events: A Conceptual Framework and Future Agenda for Research. International Journal of Tourism Research.
- Robbins, D. and Thompson, K., 2007. Special Issue on Transport at Tourist Destinations. Journal of Transport Geography, 15 (2), 80-82.
- Dickinson, J.E. and Robbins, D.K., 2007. Using the Car in a Fragile Rural Tourist Destination: A Social Representations Perspective. Journal of Transport Geography, 15, 116-126.
- Robbins, D.K., 2007. Book Review: Tourism and Transport: Global Perspectives, by Stephen J.Page (2nd ed,2005). Tourism Management, 28, 645-647.
- Robbins, D., 2006. Tourism and transport: issues and agenda for the new millennium. TOURISM MANAGEMENT, 27 (2), 357-359.
- Robbins, D.K., 2005. Book Review: Tourism and Transport: Issues and Agenda for the New Millenium, edited by Lumsden L. & Page S.J. Tourism Management, 26, 808-810.
- Robbins, D.K., 2004. Book Review: Ocean Travel and Cruising -A Cultural Analysis by Berger A. A. Journal of Tourism & Cultural Change, 2, 202-205.
- Robbins, D.K. and Westlake, J., 2008. Transportation. In: Cooper, C., Fletcher, J., Fyall, A., Gilbert, D. and Wanhill, S., eds. Tourism Principles & Practice. Harlow, England: Financial Times/ Prentice Hall, 404-437.
- Robbins, D.K. and Dickinson, J.E., 2008. Transport to Visitor Attractions. In: Fyall, A., Garrod, B., Leask, A. and Wanhill, S., eds. Managing Visitor Attractions. Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann, 108-126.
- Robbins, D.K. and Dickinson, J.E., 2007. Achieving Domestic Tourism Growth and Simultaneously Reducing Car Dependency: The Illusive Prize. In: Peeters, P., ed. Tourism and Climate Change Mitigation : Methods, Greenhouse Gas Reductions and Policies. Breda, Holland: Stichting NHTV Breda, 169-187.
- Robbins, D.K., 2005. Cruise Shipping in the UK and Northern Europe: Development Opportunity or Illusion for UK Ports? In: Dowling, R.K., ed. Cruise Tourism: Issues, Impacts and Cases. London: Cabi Publishing, 363-376.
- Robbins, D.K., 2005. Quality Assurance. In: Airey, D. and Tribe, J., eds. An International Handbook of Tourism Education. Elsevier Science, 451-468.
- Robbins, D.K. and Westlake, J., 2004. Transportation. In: Cooper, C., Fletcher, J., Fyall, A., Gilbert, D. and Wanhill, S., eds. Tourism Principles and Practice (Third Edition). Harlow: Pearson, 460-500.
- Robbins, D.K., 2003. Transport as a Tourist Attraction. In: Fyall, A., Garrod, B. and Leask, A., eds. Managing visitor attractions: new directions. Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann, 86-102.
- White, P. and Robbins, D.K., 2010. Long-term developments of express coach services in Britain. In: 12th World Conference on Transport Research 11-15 July 2010 Lisbon.
- Robbins, D.K., 2007. How Should we Deliver Sustainability in the Travel and Tourism Curriculum? A Discussion Paper. In: Education for Sustainable Development: Graduates as Global Citizens, 2nd International Conference 10-11 September 2007 Bournemouth, UK.
- Robbins, D.K. and Dickinson, J.E., 2007. Sustainable Transport, Destinations and Special Events. In: Event Tourism Conference - Enhancing Destinations and the Visitor Economy 10-11 January 2007 Bournemouth University, England.
- Robbins, D.K. and Shah, R., 2006. UK Aviation Policy: Compatible with Kyoto Protocol? In: ECLAT Climate Change and Tourism Conference:Tourism and Climate Change Mitigation 11-14 June 2006 Tilburg, Netherlands.
- Dickinson, J.E. and Robbins, D.K., 2006. Subjective Accounts of Travel Behaviour Decisions at Rural Destinations. In: Cutting Edge Research in Tourism: New Directions, Challenges and Applications 6-9 June 2006 University of Surrey, England.
- Robbins, D.K. and Dickinson, J.E., 2006. Achieving Tourism Growth and Simultaneously Reducing Car Dependency: The Illusive Prize. In: ECLAT Climate Change and Tourism Conference: Tourism and Climate Change Mitigation 11-14 June 2006 Tilburg, Netherlands.
- Robbins, D.K., 2005. Teaching Sustainability in the Travel and Tourism Curriculum. In: ATHE Annual Conference: The Future of Tourism in Higher Education 30 November-2 December 2005 Liverpool.
- Dickinson, J.E. and Robbins, D.K., 2005. Using the Car in a Fragile Rural Destination: A Social Representations Perspective of Residents' and Visitors' Mobility Patterns Using Travel Diaries. In: RGS - IBG Annual International Conference 31 August-2 September 2005 London, England.
- Robbins, D.K., 2004. Cruise Shipping in UK and Northern Europe: Development Opportunity or Illusion. In: Tourism State of the Art II 27-30 June 2004 University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, Scotland. Strathclyde: The Scottish Hotel School, University of Strathclyde.
- Robbins, D.K., 2004. The Relationship Between Scheduled Transport Operations and the Development of Tourism Markets: A Case Study of Island Destinations. In: European Transport Conference 4-6 October 2004 Strasbourg.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Aviation, Tourism Development & Climate Change
Profile of Teaching UG
- Research Methods
- Tour Operations Management
- Leisure Tourism Events & Climate Change
How rising tourism will affect transport, Alan Baxter Gallery in London, 21 Feb 2017 more
Independent Transport Commission ITC
Tourism and Transport, Department of Transport, Marsham Street, London., 01 Feb 2013 more
Lecture to 'Transport Statistics Users Group' Department of Transport, London.3
Sustainable transport for tourism., University of West of England, Bristol., 01 Jun 2007 more
Research Seminar at Transport Research Unit, University of West of England
Aviation & Tourism – Impact on Society, Royal Aeronautical Society, London., 01 May 2007 more
Ballantyne Seminar, Royal Aeronautical Society, London. Aviation and Global tourism conference.
- DESTI-SMART - Delivering Efficient Sustainable Tourism with low-carbon transport Innovations: Sustainable Mobility, Accessibility and Responsible Travel (Interreg europe, 01 Jun 2018). Awarded
- Plymouth University - Greenwich School of Management, External Examiner (2016-2019)
- University of Staffordshire, External Examiner (2009-)
- London Metropolitan University, External Examiner (2005-2009)
- University of Glamorgan, External Examiner (2003-2007)
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Member of Connected Dorset - a sub committee of the Dorset Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP)
- MSc in Transportation Planning and Policy (CNAA, 1983)
- Diploma in English Civil Law (CNAA, 1980)
- BSc (Hons) in Geography (CNAA, 1979)
- 'Outstanding paper award' awarded at BEST EN network. conference in Provence, France, June 2012 (BEST EN network., 2012)
- Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport, Chair Hants & Dorset Branch (2016-), http://www.ciltuk.org.uk/
- Association of Cruise Experts, Institute corespondent (2011-), http://www.cruiseexperts.org/
- Association of European Transport, Chair - Leisure and Toursm Programme committee (2007-2011), http://aetransport.org/
- Universities Transport Studies Group, University coespondent (1987-), http://www.utsg.net/web/