- 01202 965753
- escatter at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Associate Senior Lecturer Journalism
- Weymouth House W322, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
As a Senior Lecturer in Writing, Editing and Publishing, Emma brings over 30 years of professional experience as a journalist, author and editor to the Department of Humanities & Law.
Emma started her career as an Assistant Editor at Reuters, the news agency, and then worked as a writer and editor for most of the major magazine publishing houses, including Hearst and Bauer, in both a senior staff and freelance capacity.
As a journalist she has written for many national publications and, as an author, has had seven non-fiction books published and one novel. She has also worked as a celebrity book editor.
These industry experiences, combined with a first degree in English and an MA Creative and Critical Writing, inform Emma's teaching of Design, Editing and Publishing on the MA Creative Writing and Publishing - which she initiated and designed. She also supervises Creative dissertations at Masters level.
Maintaining close links with industry industry and professional practice is a key interest... Emma was for many years BU's point of contact for the Professional Publishers Association, steering BU through many successful accreditation assessments. In 2014, Emma launched BU's publishing press, Fresher Publishing, to give students the opportunity to get first-hand experience of publishing and to encourage creative writing in the wider community. It now publishes annual anthologies of new writing and runs The Bournemouth Writing Prize, which has international reach and an impressive panel of industry judges.
Her work is also very community focused and she takes free student-led creative writing workshops into primary schools and runs the Writing Wizardry competition for children of 11 years and under.more
The representation of the middle-aged woman in contemporary women's fiction. Examining, through practice-based research, the importance of exploring the real and challenging issues facing women of this age, and which are rarely explored in genre fiction.
- Fresher Writing 2016. Fresher publishing.
- Journalism: New Challenges. Centre for Journalism & Communication Research.
- Scattergood, E., 2001. The Complete Surfaces and Finishes Directory. The Ivy Press.
- Scattergood, E., Hill, C., Scattergood, E. and Scattergood, 1998. The First Time Parents' Survival Guide. Ward Lock Limited.
- Scattergood, E., 1997. Small Space Style. Ward Lock.
- Scattergood, E., 1997. Bedrooms. Merehurst.
- Scattergood, E., 1997. Your Pregnancy Workout. Sterling Publishing Company Incorporated.
- Scattergood, E., 1997. Living Rooms A practical guide to design and decor. london: Merehurst.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Design, Editing and Publishing on MA Creative Writing & Publishing; Major Project/dissertation on MA Creative Writing & Publishing; Creative Dissertations on BA English
Profile of Teaching UG
- Creative Dissertations on BA English
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Founder and Editorial director of Fresher Publishing, which aims to support new writers while giving students hands-on experience of working in publishing. The annual Fresher Writing Prize is open to the public and offers new writers the opportunity to put their work in front of key industry figures, and be showcased in the associated anthology of new writing. Fresher also aims to encourage creative writing in school children and offers free student-led creative writing workshops to local schools.
- Master of Arts in Creative and critical Writing (University of Winchester, 2014)
- BA (hons) in English and History (University of Southampton, 1986)
- National Association of Writers in Education, Member (2014-),
- Society of Authors, member (2012-),