- 01202 965753
- escatter at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Associate Senior Lecturer Journalism
- Weymouth House W322, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
A Senior Lecturer in Writing, Editing and Publishing in the Department of Humanities & Law, Emma brings over 20 years of professional experience as a magazine journalist and author to the Media School.
As a journalist, Emma started her career at Reuters, but soon moved to specialise in magazines and has since worked for most of the major publishing houses, including Hearst UK, Bauer and IPC, in both a senior staff and a freelance capacity. She has written for many national publications, including the Daily Mail, The Times, Easy Living, Coast, House Beautiful and Good Housekeeping.
Meanwhile, as an author, Emma has also had seven non-fiction books published to date on a range of topics, and one novel. These experiences, combined with her MA in Critical and Creative Writing, inform her teaching across MA Creative Writing & Publishing and BA English.
Emma is Unit leader of Design, Editing & Publishing, on the MA Creative Writing & Publishing, also of the MA's Dissertation/Major Project unit. She also supervises undergraduate creative writing dissertations on BA English...
Maintaining close links with industry and professional practice is a key interest of Emma’s, and she is the point of contact for the Professional Publishers Association, steering BU through many successful accreditation assessments.
In 2014, Emma launched Fresher Publishing to give students the opportunity to get first-hand experience of publishing and to encourage creative writing in the wider community. It publishes annual anthologies of new writing and runs the public Fresher Writing Prize for new talent. She also takes free student-led creative writing workshops into primary schools, and runs a children's writing competition, Writing Wizardry.more
The representation of the middle-aged woman in contemporary women's fiction. Examining, through practice-based research, the importance of exploring the real and challenging issues facing women of this age, and which are rarely explored in genre fiction.
- Fresher Writing 2016. Fresher publishing.
- Journalism: New Challenges. Centre for Journalism & Communication Research.
- Scattergood, E., 2001. The Complete Surfaces and Finishes Directory. The Ivy Press.
- Scattergood, E., Hill, C. and Scattergood, 1998. The First Time Parents' Survival Guide. Ward Lock Limited.
- Scattergood, E., 1997. Living Rooms A practical guide to design and decor. london: Merehurst.
- Scattergood, E., 1997. Bedrooms. Merehurst.
- Scattergood, E., 1997. Your Pregnancy Workout. Sterling Publishing Company Incorporated.
- Scattergood, E., 1997. Small Space Style. Ward Lock.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Design, Editing and Publishing on MA Creative Writing & Publishing; Major Project/dissertation on MA Creative Writing & Publishing; Creative Dissertations on BA English
Profile of Teaching UG
- Creative Dissertations on BA English
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Founder and Editorial director of Fresher Publishing, which aims to support new writers while giving students hands-on experience of working in publishing. The annual Fresher Writing Prize is open to the public and offers new writers the opportunity to put their work in front of key industry figures, and be showcased in the associated anthology of new writing. Fresher also aims to encourage creative writing in school children and offers free student-led creative writing workshops to local schools.
- Master of Arts in Creative and critical Writing (University of Winchester, 2014)
- BA (hons) in English and History (University of Southampton, 1986)
- National Association of Writers in Education, Member (2014-),
- Society of Authors, member (2012-),