Dr Fiona Cosson
- 01202 965013
- fcosson at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer (Academic) in Modern History
- Weymouth House W218, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr Fiona Cosson is a Lecturer in Modern History, and Programme Leader for BA (Hons) History.
Fiona is an historian of modern Britain with particular interests in the history of everyday life; oral history and memory; and public history and heritage. She is a Trustee and Committee Member for the Oral History Society, and Public History Editor for the Oral History Journal.
Fiona has a professional background in community history and oral history projects, having directed and delivered several projects for a range of organisations, including archives, charities and museums. She regularly work with individuals, projects and organisations to advise on the development and management of oral history and community heritage projects.
My research focuses on histories and experiences of 'the local' and 'the everyday', including space and place; power and politics; work and leisure; social networks, community and relationships; memory and nostalgia.
- Cosson, F., 2019. Introduction: Oral History Journal @ 50. Oral History, 50th Anniversary Special Issue, 2-5.
- Cosson, F., 2017. The Small Politics of Everyday Life: Local History Society Archives and the Production of Public Histories. Archives and Records, 38 (1), 45-60.
- Cosson, F., 2016. Book Review: Doing Oral History: A Practical Guide by Donald A. Ritchie (Third Edition). Oral History, 44 (2), 105-106.
- Cosson, F., 2010. Voice of the Community?: Practical reflections on accessing, working with and representing communities in oral history. Oral History, 38 (2).
- Cosson, F., Jackson, W. and Singh Kalsi, S., 2008. From Abolition to Commonwealth: West Yorkshire Remembers Indentured Labour in Africa and the Caribbean. Gbakhanda Publishing.
- Cosson, F., 2017. Doing Your Oral History Project Toolkit. Manchester Histories.
- Cosson, F.. From Abolition to Commonwealth: West Yorkshire Remembers Indentured Labour in Africa and the Caribbean. Seven Arts, Leeds.
- Cosson, F.. Between The Locks: An Oral History of the Working Lives of the Upper Tidal Thames. Orleans House Gallery, Richmond upon Thames. 1 January-1 November 2010.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Interpreting History (Level 5, Unit Leader)
- Community Histories (Level 5, Unit Leader)
- The Graduate Project (Level 6, Unit Leader)
- Undergraduate Dissertation Supervisor (Level 6)
- Being an Historian Part 1 (Level 4, Unit Leader)
Pride and Privilege in Community History, University of Birmingham, 20 Jun 2016 more
Seeking Legitimacy Conference, Modern British Studies, University of Birmingham (20 June 2016)
The History of a Sense of Community, University of Leeds, 03 Dec 2014 more
Global History Seminar Series
Oral History: Outside the HE History Classroom, Institute of Historical Research, 01 Jun 2013 more
Higher Education Academy Conference
- Postcards from the Park: Heritage, Space and Belonging in Boscombe Chine Gardens (Bournemouth University Charity Impact Fund, 01 Jun 2019). Awarded
- BU ECR Publication Support & Conference Funding Award (BU ECR Publication Support & Conference Funding Award, 01 Jan 2018). Awarded
- An Oral History of Manchester City Women’s Football Club (Manchester City Football Club, 01 Nov 2016). In Progress
- A History of the Women’s Peace Crusade (Arts and Humanities Research Council, 01 Mar 2016). Completed
- Unofficial Histories Conference 2015 (International Institute of Social History (Amsterdam), 01 Jan 2016). Completed
- Oral History Society, Conference Organiser (2019-2020), https://www.ohs.org.uk/conferences/conference-2020/
- Dorset Archives Trust, Trustee (2019-), https://www.dorsetarchivestrust.org/
- University of Huddersfield, External Examiner for MA Public History (2018-)
- Oral History Journal, Public History Editor (2014-)
- Oral History Society, Trustee (2012-)
- Assistant Director (2017), Acting Director (2018), Centre for Media History
- Level 6 Coordinator (2017-2018), BA (Hons) History
- Organiser (2017-2018), BU History Society
- Programme Leader, BA (Hons) History
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Manchester Histories 'Hidden Histories, Hidden Historians': Oral History Workshop (2017)
- BU Festival of Learning: Introduction to Oral History (2017)
- Mentor, AHRC Creating Our Future Histories Collaborative Skills Training Programme, Manchester (2015-2016)
- Founder-Convener, Unofficial Histories Conference (2012-2015)
- BU Festival of Learning: Exploring Broadcast Archives (2018)
- Hampshire Archives Trust, Local History Archives: Some Challenges and Opportunities (Keynote), 31 May 2019, Winchester
- Modern British Studies Symposium, Pride and Privilege in Community History, 01 Jan 2016, Birmingham
- Oral History Association, Oral History as/and Biography: Interviewers and their Sound Archives, 01 Jan 2016, Los Angeles
- Oral History Society Annual Conference, The Sounds and Stories of Paul Graney, 01 Jan 2016, London
- International Labour Process Conference, 'I learnt to make a shoe right through': Narratives of Work, Community and Change in a Shoe and Boot Town, 01 Jan 2015, Athens
- Oral History Seminar Series, Institute for Historical Research, In the Time between Then and Now: Memory, Social Change and Everyday Life, 01 Jan 2015, London
- History From Elsewhere Symposium, Gloves Off: Writing History from Below from Local History Society Archives,, 01 Jan 2015, London
- Higher Education Academy Conference, Oral History: Outside and Inside the HE History Class, 01 Jan 2014, London
- Global History Seminar Series,, Unlocked Doors, Slippered Feet and Rose-Tinted Glasses: The History of a Sense of Community, 01 Jan 2014, Leeds
- Community at Cohesion and Social Stability Conference, You reduce the whole process to a soulless machine’: Community, Power, and the Memories and Meanings of Local Government in the Twentieth Century, 01 Jan 2013, Bangor
- European Social Science History Conference, Imagined Nostalgia: Popular Memory, Individual Testimony and the Memorialisation of Community in Britain, 01 Jan 2012, Glasgow
- Oral History Society Annual Conference, Voice of the Community?: The participation and representation of marginalised communities in oral history projects, 01 Jan 2010, Glasgow
- Oral History Workshop, Between The Locks: an oral history of the working lives of the upper tidal Thames, 01 Jan 2010, London
- European Social Science History Conference, A Sense of Loss: Exploring the Social Anxieties over the Demise of Community in Britain, 1887-2001, 01 Jan 2010, Ghent
- Social Science History Association Meeting, All events and happenings are recorded in good faith: Local History, Collective Memory and Narratives of Community, 01 Jan 2010, Chicago
- Oral History, Advanced Teaching Programme. UCL Qatar and Qatar Foundation
- Oral History, Training and Consultancy. Disabled Living, Manchester
- Oral Hisory, Training and Consultancy. Aawaz Central Ward Heritage Project, Accrington
- Oral History, Training and Consultancy. History of Place (Royal School for the Blind, Liverpool)
- Oral History, Training and Consultancy. Manchester Pride & Manchester District Music Archive
- Oral History, Training and Consultancy. National Trust Quarry Bank, Cheshire
- Oral History, Training and Consultancy. Manchester Histories Festival, Manchester
- Oral History Society Archival Management of Oral History Collections, 01 Sep 2016
- PhD in Modern British History (University of Northampton, 2013)
- MA in Race and Resistance (University of Leeds, 2008)
- BA (Hons) in History (University of Leeds, 2004)
- PGCE in Educational Practice (Distinction) (Bournemouth University, 2018)
- University of Northampton Leslie Church Research Scholar (University of Northampton, 2009)
- John Coleman Trophy awarded by the Thames Heritage Trust for “outstanding contribution to the River Thames” for work on 'Between the Locks' project (2009)
- Tilly Graduate Student Travel Award (Social Science History Association, 2010)
- University of Northampton Dr Mike Daniels Travel Scholarship (University of Northampton, 2010)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2018-),
- Oral History Association (USA), Member (2014-),
- Oral History Society, Member (2008-),