- 01202 965728
- gunderwood at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Demonstrator In Model Making
- Poole House PG83, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
After graduating from Central St Martins College of Art & Design with a BA (Hons) in 3D Design I spent 14 years as a freelance designer. My work included sets and costumes for over 170 film and theatre productions in 17 countries, plus exhibitions and events for clients such as Barclays, Reuters, Iveco Ford and Ernst & Young. I also enjoyed a four-year spell as Project Manager/Designer for a number of hotel, pub and restaurant chains
Having been a visiting lecturer at Central St Martins College of Art & Design and Central School of Speech & Drama, I joined Bournemouth University as Demonstrator in Model Making in November 2009.
Alongside my regular duties teaching practical workshop skills to Design and Engineering students I was Unit Leader for Design Prototyping (2012-15), a member of the Sustainable Design Research Centre (2011-15), and have been responsible for BU's stand at the New Designers Exhibition in London since 2010. I gained my MSc in Product Design in 2014, and am currently working towards a PhD.
- Underwood, G. and Powell, J., 2018. Rescued By Design: Enabling Low Resource Communities to Reduce Global Drowning. Design and Technology Education: An International Journal, 23 (2), 59-73.
- Underwood, G. and Conrad, F., 2019. Exploring the Ongoing Diversity Issues Embedded in Product Design. In: 5th International DRS LearnXdesign Conference 9-12 July 2019 METU, Ankara, Turkey. Proceedings of the 5th International DRS LearnXdesign Conference 2019.
- Conrad, F. and Underwood, G., 2019. Generation Z: Exploring Personalities, Interests and Influences in Young Designers. In: Bohemia, E., Kovacevic, A., Buck, L., Brisco, R., Evans, D., Grierson, H., Ion, W. and Whitfield, R., eds. 21st International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education 12-13 September 2019 University of Strathclyde, Glasgow. DS 95: Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Engineering and Product Design 2019 UK: IED; The Design Society.
- Powell, J. and Underwood, G., 2017. Rescued by design: Enabling low-Resource communities to reduce global drowning. Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education: Building Community: Design Education for a Sustainable Future, E and PDE 2017, 206-211.
- Wade, R., Garland, N. and Underwood, G., 2017. Challenges of 3D printing for home users. Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education: Building Community: Design Education for a Sustainable Future, E and PDE 2017, 478-482.
- Shaw, L., John, D., Manley, H. and Underwood, G., 2016. More than just a pretty picture: A review of the use of 3D printing, touch tables and virtual environments to engage the public with Lidar and the archaeology of the New Forest. In: Computer Applications and Quantitive Methods in Archaeology (CAA) international conference 29 March-2 April 2016 University of Oslo, Norway.
- Koohgilani, M., Powell, J. and Underwood, G., 2015. RP or not RP: That is the co-creation question. Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education: Great Expectations: Design Teaching, Research and Enterprise, E and PDE 2015, 246-251.
- Underwood, G., 2014. RP vs workshop: how modelling methods affect early design development. In: Bohemia, E., Eger, A., Eggink, W., Kovacevic, A., Parkinson, B. and Wits, W., eds. International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education 4-5 September 2014 University of Twente, The Netherlands. Design Education & Human Technology Relations, 537-542 UK: The Design Society; IED.
- MSc in Product Design (Bournemouth University, 2014)
- BA (Hons) in 3D Design (Theatre) (The London Institute, 1992)