Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am a Registered Nurse (Child, Adult and SCPHN (HV)) and have also practised as a Midwife. As a Senior Academic in children’s and young people’s nursing I am passionate about developing the next generation of children’s nurses. My nursing experience spans paediatric cardiology, accident and emergency care, midwifery, neonatal nursing, diagnostic radiology and public health nursing in the UK. I have also practised as a Nurse-Midwife and Nurse Tutor in the Middle East.
My educational practice has covered all aspects of nursing and child health; with specific interest in community healthcare, child protection/safeguarding, health promotion, communication skills, professional development, research skills and the transition from student to professional practice.
I gained a Doctorate in Education from the University of Southampton for a phenomenological study titled ‘The invisibility of being a new nurse: the experience of transition from student to registered children’s nurse’. The findings of the study have informed the current CYP nursing curriculum, through the fusion of research, education and professional practice... I also have a keen interest in the role of parents in eczema care and was a member of the Eczema Education Programme Evaluation team (Ersser et al 2013). Current research focuses on the assessment of parental self-efficacy in eczema care. I currently supervise three PhD students.more
Validation of the Parental Self-efficacy in Eczema Care Index.
- Ersser, S.J., Farasat, H., Jackson, K., Gardiner, E., Sheppard, Z.A. and Cowdell, F., 2015. Parental self-efficacy and the management of childhood atopic eczema: development and testing of a new clinical outcome measure. BRITISH JOURNAL OF DERMATOLOGY, 173 (6), 1479-1485.
- Parker, H., Farrell, M., Ryder, A., Fernley, K., Cox, C., Farasat, H. and Hewitt-Taylor, J., 2014. Family-focused children's end of life care in hospital and at home. Nurs Child Young People, 26 (6), 35-39.
- Jackson, K., Ersser, S.J., Dennis, H., Farasat, H. and More, A., 2014. The Eczema Education Programme: intervention development and model feasibility. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol, 28 (7), 949-956.
- Ersser, S.J., Cowdell, F., Latter, S., Gardiner, E., Flohr, C., Thompson, A.R., Jackson, K., Farasat, H., Ware, F. and Drury, A., 2014. Psychological and educational interventions for atopic eczema in children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, CD004054.
- Farasat, H., 2014. Cochrane review update: Psychological and educational interventions for atopic eczema in children. Community Practitioner, 87 (9), 11-12.
- Jackson, K., Ersser, S.J., Dennis, H., Farasat, H. and More, A., 2014. The Eczema Education Programme: Intervention development and model feasibility. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 28 (7), 949-956.
- Ersser, S.J., Farasat, H., Jackson, K., Dennis, H., Sheppard, Z.A. and More, A., 2013. A service evaluation of the Eczema Education Programme: an analysis of child, parent and service impact outcomes. Br J Dermatol, 169 (3), 629-636.
- Ersser, S.J., Farasat, H., Jackson, K. and Dennis, H., 2010. Evaluation of an Eczema Education Programme in a London Borough. Dermatology Nursing, 22.
- Farasat, H. and Hewitt-Taylor, J., 2007. Learning to support children with complex and continuing health needs and their families. Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing, 12, 72-83.
- Hewitt-Taylor, J. and Farasat, H., 2007. Pilot student placements with children with complex needs. Paediatric Nursing, 19, 33-35.
- Hewitt-Taylor, J. and Farasat, H., 2006. Learning to support children with complex needs in their homes. British Journal of Community Nursing, 11, 209-213.
- Farasat, H., Dennis, H., Jackson, K. and Ersser, S.J., 2011. Evaluation of the Eczema Education Project. In: British Dermatological Nursing Group Annual Conference 2011 4-6 July 2011 Excel, London.
- Farasat, H., Ersser, S.J., Jackson, K. and Dennis, H., 2009. Evaluating Eczema Education in a London Borough. In: Dermatology Nursing Institute Annual Congress 2009 25-27 September 2009 Washington DC.
- Farasat, H., 2008. The journey begins: presentation of the findings of stage one of a phenomenological study of the transition from student to staff nurse. In: 7th Qualitative Research Conference 8-10 September 2008 Bournemouth University.
- Andrea Hasselbusch. A mixed methods investigation of the usefulness and effects of the School-based Occupational Therapy Practice Framework
- Daisy Robinson. Increased Participation by Children and Young People with Disabilities through Inclusion
- Nikki Glendening. The Student Experience of Self-Managed Independent Learning (SMIL): An Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis (IPA) of Undergraduate Adult Nursing Students
Profile of Teaching UG
- Application of communication skills in children's and young people's nursing
- Promoting children's and young people's health in the community
- Cochrane Skin Group, member of review team (2012-)
- Doctor of Education in The invisibility of being a new nurse (University of Southampton, 2011)
- Nursing and Midwifery Council, Registrant (1976-),