- 01202 962136
- hribchester at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Occupational Therapy
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I qualified as an Occupational Therapist in 1989 and worked in a variety of NHS services for 18 years prior to moving into Higher Education. My practice interests are predominantly focused on children and young people, particularly those with complex needs and challenging behaviour.
I have been in Higher Education since January 2008, where I have taught many elements of the curriculum, developing a particular interest and expertise in the development of Interprofessional Education (IPE) throughout health and related professional curricula.
Having been an admissions tutor for many years, I am now the Programme Lead for the BSc(Hons) Occupational Therapy programme. I am also the current IPE Lead for the Faculty.
Current PhD study: Exploring the practice experiences of Occupational Therapy students in India
An interpretative Phenomenological Analysis with elements of poetic inquiry.
Engagement with the London IPA group, including presentation of my study within an international seminar in February 2022.
- Roper, L. et al., 2022. Fusion Learning Conference 2021 - Supplement. Poole, UK: Bournemouth University.
- Ribchester, H., Bewes, R., Hind, M., Stainer, L. and Holley, D., 2021. We belong together: Reflections on a Virtual Introduction to Professional Learning. In: Celebrating and Disseminating Good Practice across Health Care Professions 5 May 2021 A HEE South West Virtual Event.
- Ribchester, H., 2016. Considering reflective practice: How does it work in India? In: OTICON: Annual Conference of the All India Occupational Therapists' Association 29-31 January 2016 Chennai, India.
- Ribchester, H. and Jones, J., 2013. iTeaching and Learning - iPad developments in health professional education. In: Networking for Education in Healthcare 3-5 September 2013 Cambridge.
- Ribchester, H. and Jones, J., 2013. iTeaching and learning - iPad developments in occupational therapy education. BRITISH JOURNAL OF OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY, 76, 26.
- Ribchester, H. and Brown, R., 2015. Composing the symphony of interprofessional care - a reflection on innovations in interprofessional education. In: Networking for Education in Healthcare.
- Ribchester, H.C. and Jones, J.E., 2012. The introduction of iPads to support undergraduate occupational therapy education.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Foundations for Professional Practice and Research
- Skills for Occupational Therapy Practice
- Analysing Occupation
- Research for Professional Practice
- Community Engagement in Occupational Therapy
- Innovations in Occupational Therapy Practice
- Team working for Service Improvement
Interprofessional Working, The University of Hull (virtual conference), 07 May 2021 more
'Interprofessional working' : Keynote lecture to Interprofessional Learning event at The University of Hull, attended by students of clinical psychology, social work, mental health nursing and learning disability nursing. Lecture delivered virtually due to COVID restrictions.
- CAIPE, BU Link/Representative (2020-)
- Cohort Lead, BSc(Hons) Occupational Therapy programme team
- Unit Lead, IPE Unit Team, Foundationsl for Professional Practice and Research
- Admissions Tutor, BSc(Hons) Occupational Therapy programme team
- Programme Lead, BSc(Hons) Occupational Therapy programme team
- Faculty IPE Lead, Faculty IPE Steering Group
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Visit to the Occupational Therapy Department at Sri Ramachandra Institute, Chennai. Relationship building, information sharing and discussion regarding future collaboration opportunities. Joining student teaching and practice activities and collecting PhD data.
- Promotion of the BSc(Hons) Occupational Therapy programme at BU Open Days, including formal presentation, group activities, group and individual discussions about the profession and the programme. Contributing to this activity several times a year, both face to face and online.
- OTICON 2016, Considering reflective practice in Occupational Therapy: How does it work in India?, 29 Jan 2016, Chennai, India
- NET (Networking for education in healthcare), Composing the symphony of interprofessional care – a reflection on innovations in interprofessional education, 01 Sep 2015, Cambridge
- NET (Networking for education in healthcare), iTeaching and Learning – iPad developments in health professional education, 01 Sep 2013, Cambridge
- College of Occupational Therapists Annual Conference, iTeaching and Learning – iPad developments in occupational therapy education, 01 May 2013, Glasgow
- College of Occupational Therapists Annual Conference, The introduction of iPads to support undergraduate occupational therapy education, 01 May 2012, Glasgow
- Moving and Handling Train the Trainers, 11 Jun 2021
- MEd (merit) in Clinical Education (The University of Leeds, 2010)
- PGCE in Clinical Teaching (The University of Leeds, 2007)
- DipCOT in Occupational Therapy (College of Occupational Therapists, 1989)
- Advance HE, Senior Fellow (2021-),
- World Federation of Occupational Therapists, Member (2016-),
- The Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2011-),
- Health and Care Professions Council, Member (1989-),
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists, Member (1989-),
- BU representative/contact for the Centre for the Advancement of Interprofessional Education (CAIPE)
- South West Regional Group of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists
- COTED - The academic network of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists