Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
My research interests are related to coastal benthic ecology, specifically invertebrates.
Currently I am working on eco-engineering coastal infrastructure, specifically the intertidal zone where there is a paucity of refuge for intertidal species on artificial structures. Subsequently, biodiversity is lower than that found on natural rocky shores. As part of the Marineff project, our team at Bournemouth University aims to create eco-engineering solutions for coastal infrastructure that both provide habitat for marine species and can be easily incorporated into existing and planned coastal development in the intertidal zone. I am focusing on the design and deployment of large scale artificial rockpool arrays installed on concrete sea walls, and looking how the spacing between them affects the colonisation of the surrounding sea wall (halo effect). I am also interested in the ecology of steel coastal infrastructure, of which there seems to be a lack of knowledge and data, and how common steel structures (such as sheet piling) influences biological communities...
My undergraduate and Masters research focused on benthic macroinvertebrates in the soft-sediment lagoons of Poole Harbour, including the non-native and protected anemone Nematostella vectensis.more
- Herbert, R.J.H., Bone, J., Whetter, T. and Ross, K., 2019. Maintaining ecological resilience on a regional scale: coastal saline lagoons in a northern European marine protected area. Marine Protected Areas. Science, Policy, Management. Elsevier, 631-647.
- Bone, J., 2019. Marineff - the concrete answer to oyster restoration. The Grower newsletter. Available from: http://assg.org.uk/the-grower/4532754744?fbclid=IwAR2OtCjlJ0sp92tq-KfntGKMo0dupDwDmwYxdqvFT1EgWuH0wRIP0fIqRuc.
- Bone, J., 2018. Behind anemone lines: determining the environmental drivers influencing lagoonal benthic communities, with special reference to the anemone Nematostella vectensis. Master's Thesis. Bournemouth University, Department of Life and Environmental Sciences.
- Bone, J., 2017. A comparison of the benthic fauna and habitat health of three Poole Harbour lagoons and their potential as refugia. Undergraduate Dissertation. Bournemouth University, Department of Life and Environmental Sciences.
- Poole Harbour Study Group, Secretary (2019-), http://www.pooleharbourstudygroup.org.uk/
- Marineff Research Assistant, MARINEFF Project
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- CIRIA hosted webinar entitled: Coastal Eco-Engineering: Boosting Britain's Biodiversity
- A workshop with key stakeholders to share details about the Marineff project, including presentations from key project staff and subcontractors and a fieldtrip to local artificial rockpool examples and site of manufacture.
- Arts by the Sea Festival 2019 - Green Hub
- A wide range of stakeholders participating in tackling climate change related threats local to Dorset
- Institute of Civil Engineers Coastal Management 2019, 24 Sep 2019, La Rochelle, France
- Spotlight on Poole Harbour: Environment & Economics, Poole Park Lagoon; Behind Anemone Lines, 06 Jun 2018, Poole Harbour
- Marine Protected Areas, 15 May 2017, Poole Harbour
- British Conference of Undergraduate Research 2017, The discovery of a rare habitat and vulnerable species in Poole Harbour, 25 Apr 2017, Bournemouth University
- Impact and Funding Bids Workshop, 01 Oct 2019
- MRes in Benthic invertebrate ecology (Bournemouth University, 2019)
- BSc (Hons) in Marine Ecology and Conservation (Bournemouth University, 2017)
- Jack Parsons Award for Local Studies Research (Bournemouth University, 2017)
- Coral Seas Award for High Performance (2016)
External Media and Press
- Bournemouth University helping to fight 'coastal squeeze', Bournemouth Echo, 10 Aug 2019. https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/17828802.bournemouth-university-helping-fight-39-coastal-squeeze-39/
- This student hung out items you left behind at the beach – and here’s why…, Bournemouth Echo, 23 Sep 2016. https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/14760436.this-student-hung-out-items-you-left-behind-at-the-beach-and-heres-why/