Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Prior to joining Bournemouth University (BU) in May 2003, I held both strategic and managerial positions in relation to social work. My last post in practice was that of a Principle Education Officer within Bournemouth Local Authority. My professional background is that of a social worker, and I remain registered with the Health & Care Professions Council. I hold a BA in Social Work, an MSc in Practice Teaching and Post Graduate Teaching Certificate (including SEDA). I am currently undertaking a PhD, which has drawn on research from the UK and South Africa, where I undertook a five week field work study in Zululand, South Africa. In October 2014, I was awarded a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy in recognition of my success as a high quality educator.
During my time in practice, I held specialist posts including managing a social work service to all Bournemouth Local Authority and Independent Schools. I retained responsibility for ensuring all children, living within the Bournemouth local area, were effectively achieving their optimal educational outcome and effectively safeguarded from harm or abuse... I also took the Education lead for the Local Authority on Serious Case Reviews.
In addition, I held a strategic role, employed directly with the then Department for Education and Skills (DfES) as a regional Investigation Referral Officer and was responsible for investigating any allegation made in relation to an education employee, whether they were based within an education setting or the Local Education Authority. To undertake these investigations, I worked as part of a multi-professional team alongside the Police, Health and other Senior Education staff. Part of this role was also writing National policy for all education settings on child protection and adult safeguarding, based on the learning from our investigative role and the changes to National policy and guidance in relation to child protection/adult safeguarding.more
I am currently registered as a PhD student. My thesis is a comparative study of kinship care within the UK and Zululand, South Africa. As the first part of my study, I am working with a neighbouring Local Authority to consider issues of placement breakdown.
I am also engaged in a small scale, unfunded project into domestic violence.
Over the past year I have been involved in an unfunded study of child murder. This has resulted in an authored paper on the topic being submitted to the British Journal of Social Work. I am a co-author on a paper entitled 'Who Kills Children - Re-examining the evidence' published by the British Journal of Social Work in 2012.
- Pritchard, C., Davey, J. and Williams, R., 2012. Who Kills Children? Re-Examining the Evidence. The British Journal of Social Work, advanced access, 1-36.
- Pritchard, C., Williams, R. and Davey, J., 2011. INTERNATIONAL EVIDENCE OF WHO KILL CHILDREN? CHILD PROTECTION-PSYCHIATRIC INTERFACE. EUROPEAN PSYCHIATRY, 26.
- Davey, J., 2012. Newly Qualified Social Workers: A Handbook for Practice. 2nd Edition.. Exeter: Learning Matters.
- Davey, J. and Bigmore, J., 2009. Introducing child care social work: Contemporary policy and practice. Exeter, England: Learning Matters.
- Davey, J., 2009. Newly Qualified Social Workers: A Handbook for Practice.. Exeter: Learning Matters.
- Davey, J., 1992. Childhood lost a serious case review report. London: The Bridge Consultancy.
- Davey, J., Crabtree, S. and Parker, J., 2014. Working with indigenous Communities. In: Crabtree, S., ed. SocNet Series. Whiting and Birch.
- Davey, J., 2015. Social Work Education - Global Learning Opportunities. In: International Conference 1 June 2015 Mongolia.
- Davey, J., 2014. All you need is Ubuntu - PhD study into Kinship Care. In: Global Social Work Conference 1 July 2014 Melbourne, Australia.
- Davey, J., 2013. Kinship Care. In: Global Social Work Conference 1 July 2013 Melbourne, Australia.
- Davey, J., 2011. PhD Thesis - Kinship Care. In: International Social Work Conference 1 July 2011 Martinique.
- Davey, J., 2011. Child Protection - a UK perspective. In: European Social Work Conference 1 April 2011 Norway.
- Davey, J., 2011. Child protection - A UK perspective. In: European Social Work April 2011 Telemark, Norway.
- Davey, J., 2010. A Comparative Study of Child Protection. In: International Conference 1 September 2010 University of Western Cape.
- Davey, J., 2007. The Role of Post Qualifying Social Work Education. In: International Conference 1 July 2007 Johannesburg, South Africa.
Profile of Teaching PG
- MA Social Work
Profile of Teaching UG
- Managing the Professional Task - Post Qualifying Child Care Specialist Award
- Legislation & Social Policy - Post Qualifying Child Care Specialist Award
- Child Protection in Social Work - BA (Hons) Social Work
- BA (Hons) Social Work Programme
- BSc (Hons) Child Care - Post Qualifying Child Care Award
- Consolidation & Preparation for Specialist Practice - Post Qualifying Specialist Award
- 2006 - Child Protection Issues/Training, Helsinki University, Finland
- 2005 - Child Protection Issues/Training, Munchen University, Germany
- International task force visit to Colombia (Fusion Fund, 01 Sep 2014). In Progress
- Conference attendance (Fusion Fund, 01 Feb 2014). Completed
- Conference attendance (Fusion Fund, 01 Jan 2013). Completed
- London South Bank University, External Examiner, BA & MA Social Work (2014-)
- Glasgow Caledonian University, External Examiner, MA Social Work (2012-)
- Joint University Council - Social Work Education Council, BU Representative (2011-)
- General Social Care Council, BU Representative (2010-2012)
- Glasgow City University, External Examiner, BA (Hons) Social Work (2009-2014)
- Birmingham City University, External Examiner, BA (Hons) Social Work (2009-2014)
- Local Safeguadring Board, BU Representative (2009-)
- General Social Care Council, Conduct & Investigation Officer (2008-)
- DfES, Advisor (2001-2003)
- DfES, Investigation Referral Officer (2001-2003)
- Coordinator and Lead of European Symposium, BU, Bournemouth University
- Lead on Child Protection/Adult Safeguarding Training, Bournemouth University
- Member of HSS Executive Team, Bournemouth University
- ERASMUS Coordinator, Bournemouth University
- HSC Representative on the International Task Force, Bournemouth University
- Lead for revalidation of the BA & MA Social Work programmes, Bournemouth University
- Lead for The College of Social Work inspection, Bournemouth University
- Lead for HCPC approval inspection for the BA & MA Social Work programmes, Bournemouth University
- Framework Leader - Social Work, Sociology & Social Policy, Bournemouth University
- BA (Hons) Social Work Programme Leader, Bournemouth University
- MA Social Work Programme Leader, Bournemouth University
- Professional Body Investigation & Conduct Officer, Bournemouth University
- Programme Leader BA (Hons) Social Work, Bournemouth University
- Examination Board Training, 01 Jan 2010, Examination Board Training
- Student Complaints Training, 01 Jan 2011, Student Complaints Training
- Education Excellence Programme, 01 Jan 2012, Education Excellence Programme
- Certificate in Social Services in Professional Social Work (Dorset Institute of Higher Education, 1985)
- BSc (Hons) in Health and Social Studies (Bournemouth University, 1996)
- Practice Teachers Award in Practice Education (University of Southampton, 1997)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Professional Studies (University of Southampton, 1997)
- MSc in Professional Studies (University of Southampton, 1998)
- Re-accreditation in Practice Teacher Award in Practice Education (Wessex Consortium, 1999)
- Post Qualifying Award in Social Work in Practice Education (University of Southampton, 2000)
- PGCE in Teaching (University of Southampton, 2003)
- Innovative Practice for the Post Qualifying - Part 1 Award (National Training Award, 2006)
- Innovative Practice for the BA (Hons) Post Qualifying BA (Hons) Specialist Child Care Award (National Training Award, 2008)
- Nominated & Shortlisted - Making an Exceptional Contribution (Bournemouth University VC Staff Award, 2011)
- HEA Senior Fellow (HEA, 2014)
- Health & Care Professions Council, Registered Social Worker (2013-),